The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » AOK by Lewis Lé Val (52 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
JoelDickinson
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1200 Posts

Profile of JoelDickinson
I'm a big fan of the plot and currently working on the plot so I couldn't refuse. I think the simplicity of this is very good. Will I perform it, yes!
Joel.
TADAA.CO.UK - ASTONISHING MAGIC
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1091 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
As far as sloppy moves I'll quote Bob Cassidy from another thread.

Quote:
On Jun 22, 2016, mastermindreader wrote:

Sleight of hand in skilled mentalism (as opposed to self-working store-bought mental magic) requires the same proficiency level and nerve required of a professional high-stakes card cheat working solo. For the cheat, accidental exposure can result in serious injury. In pure mentalism it will result in a complete loss of credibility and, if the performer is working "strong," derisive laughter and name-calling as well.

But when a magician drops his thumb-tip or accidentally exposes something, he can usually just blow it off with a funny one-liner. After all, the audience already KNOWS that he's just doing tricks.

While some magicians certainly use a far greater number of sleights, the mentalist's moves must be flawless and so natural in performance that they are virtually invisible and unsuspected.

So when someone tells me that classical mentalism is easier than magic, I know they're in for an embarrassing lesson should they attempt billet work or other skill-based techniques before a paying audience.

And, frankly, I think that fear of exposure, and guilt about claiming or implying telepathy or paranormal abilities, are just two of the reasons that many feel a lot safer doing mental magic as opposed to claim-based mentalism.

As I said during a PEA interview over thirty years ago, the three most significant attributes of the "Complete Mentalist" are showmanship, technical mastery and nerve.

And I'm sorry to see that so many newcomers don't seem to understand that.

I said earlier was happy with the download and was going to work on it. After doing so and making some changes to the handling (similar to what I believe John C did) I am now very comfortable with and excited about this routine. I am going to road test this at my first opportunity.

I will echo ash2arani’s comment and say that I am disappointed to find out that this effect is included in his book. If I had known, I would have rather bought the book and got read more of his work. Now I can't justify buying the book also. Darn these instant downloads and instant gratification!
Lakewood, Ohio
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1091 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2016, Ben Blau wrote:
I purchased this, and thought it was good. I'm not a fan of the method used to determine "who wrote what", but the method of getting the information is efficient and deceptive. There are a few unmotivated physical actions that take place, but they are not overly offensive. Overall, I'd say this is very clever and practical.

Ben, if you just ask them to initial or sign their drawing the "who wrote what" problem is solved right?
Lakewood, Ohio
magic maniac
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of magic maniac
For me, what makes this DD routine great is that the routine is fairly easy to execute and it's streamlined for close-up to involve multiple people. I've always felt performing DD's for a single person in a group of people can be boring for the specs not involved and this solves that problem for me. As Ben pointed out there are a few unmotivated moves but nothing that should be noticed or remembered after the reveals. It does also require a table.

My biggest stumbling block is that I use and carry blank business cards everywhere I go and I can't get them smooth enough for the move. I'm going to have to go to the printing store to get some glossy blanks for me to feel comfortable enough for this routine. Additionally, my performance character isn't psychic which means I need to routine it a little differently to remove the psychometry aspect of the effect. No big issues, just a couple of stumbling blocks I've run into.

I will use this though. The routining makes this one a winner.
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1192 Posts

Profile of Jared
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2016, RNK wrote:
I think the half pass is overkill and is more susceptible to be noticed, not necessary the pass but having the hands come together takes away from the effect and lessons it IMO. Simply dropping your hand to the side and doing the move is much more deceptive. Though, I do love Cassidy's movie screen visualization idea! Makes perfect sense!

RNK

The half pass idea is just another method for accomplishing the same. It could come in handy say if a person was standing to your immediate side. I just like having an alternative move in my arsenal for such situations. But surely, dropping your hand to the side is easier and what I will do most of the time. The movie screen idea is a "standard" in mentalism as John C states. But in this instance, it does provide a little more justification/motivation for placing the stack back onto the drawings.
DrRob
View Profile
Special user
Middle Chinnock
915 Posts

Profile of DrRob
I thought of writing the number 1 three different ways for example..

l
/

They are all then number one but different designs to identify the one of three.

Dr Rob
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Elite user
SLC, Utah
475 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
I'm all about collaboration...but we might be bordering on too much information here...

The Penguin forum linked to "AOK" might be a better place to discuss these ideas - just a thought.

Best,

Drew
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

Now Available: OMNI-TEST (Limited Release)
www.mindofandrews.com/omni-test

ARCHITECT OF THE MIND
For more information and to download a free preview visit the link below:
www.mindofandrews.com/colleagues

PENGUIN LIVE ACT: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/11689
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1569 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2016, DrRob wrote:
I thought of writing the number 1 three different ways for example..

l
/

They are all then number one but different designs to identify the one of three.

Dr Rob

There are much better ways of "marking" rather than writing. The odd thing was, in the download he states that the numbering has never been questioned. I distinctly remember hearing the girl tell him about something on the back of her card - in fairness he did his best to brush the comment off, but, nonetheless, it WAS questioned.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1192 Posts

Profile of Jared
I agree, we should probably move this thread downstairs.
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
1633 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Quote:
On Jul 5, 2016, DrRob wrote:
Can this be done without any help ? Smile

As I don't have any friends and need something solid to use as an opener.

Many thanks
Rob

oh, this made me sad!
leosx1
View Profile
Loyal user
217 Posts

Profile of leosx1
Concerning the numbering: I don't remember where I have seen this but I will give out 3 pens with different point sizes, this speeds up the drawing and eliminates the need to put anything on the front.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11561 Posts

Profile of John C
He explains plausably why only one pen.

Plus, who wants to carry three pens.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1192 Posts

Profile of Jared
Agreed, his justification for having only one pen makes perfect sense. I never took notice of this before but it's absolutely true.
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Elite user
SLC, Utah
475 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Maybe I'm being overly sensitive - but some of these comments are pushing the boundaries of what should be discussed on this public forum. The "merely curious" would have to read between the lines but a lot of info has been shared...

Again - there's a forum connected to this product for owners (or, at least, we can speak a little more freely in Inner Thoughts).

Best,

Drew
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

Now Available: OMNI-TEST (Limited Release)
www.mindofandrews.com/omni-test

ARCHITECT OF THE MIND
For more information and to download a free preview visit the link below:
www.mindofandrews.com/colleagues

PENGUIN LIVE ACT: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/11689
scott0819
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ont.
730 Posts

Profile of scott0819
I have posted my suggestion for eliminating the numbering on the forum.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
1838 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
It is always a fine line between magicians helping magicians and exposure. But that's what makes the Café unique. As an owner of this I have to say I'm comfortable with the posts so far as to not exposing anything. But I do see as we discuss this and other effects more deeply it could get close. I have to admit I love the ideas that come up though.

Good magic to all

Eric
Al Straker
View Profile
Grammar Host
Australia
1116 Posts

Profile of Al Straker
Very nice release from Lewis! Definitely a great go to piece with simple items. What really will make the performance memorable is the personal readings. Although I don't think it's necessary it would be nice to find a way to eliminate the one slightly illogical step (placing pile on top) or come up with some kind of justifying logic to motivate that step convincingly. I have been trying a couple of alternative approaches but yet to settle on something.
Al Straker
Resident Mystery Entertainer at Multiple Venues
Music & Mentalism Specialty Act 'Completely Mental'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGhApqnG7I

(Old clip, show has changed quite a bit since then!)

Jazz & Contemporary Musician/Composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnN3JNmeKns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_zfOvpneA
scott0819
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ont.
730 Posts

Profile of scott0819
"You can't see the writing through that paper, right? Just to be sure I'm going to place these on top."
OR
"Psychometry requires touching those cards but I don't want to touch them directly in case you think I'm sneaking a peek. So I'll place these on top and will just lightly touch them."
OR
The idea mentioned earlier of drawing a "movie screen" on the top card.
LewisLeVal
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of LewisLeVal
Hello everyone! I am glad to see so many of you enjoying AOK!

I spotted a few things throughout this thread that I thought I should address. This isn't a response to anyone in particular, just to a few of the things discussed.

This is a new piece to a lot of people (not the methods, the routine as a whole) and I am seeing the same thought patterns I went through when creating the routine.
Should I do this move instead of that move? Is this justified? Will that work? Should I do this?

I had no intention of releasing this until recently, so the effect as you see it is what I've been doing for live audiences night after night. I've eliminated things and changed things over time, to the point where this effect best suits me. Of course if there are any changes you want to make to suit your style/performance/character, then please do!

I used to draw an eye on the top card that I would hold my hand over, and the effect was originally called the Art Of Seeing, not long after I first started performing it I ditched the eye and changed it to the Art Of Knowing after realising that the eye just wasn't needed. It is a nice presentational point but all it did was make people aware of the cards, it drew unnecessary attention to them.

The placing of the stack of cards on the table is totally logical. The audience know you can't see anything anyway, so they won't argue when you make it even more difficult for yourself to see what they have drawn. It's also a nice way of emptying your hands for a few moments. They will remember you touching absolutely nothing when revealing the information. This nicely removes any "what if.." Thoughts from their mind. You touched nothing.

You could mark the backs or edges of the cards, but that means you have to mark the back or the edges of the cards. Is it not better to be able to do it without marking anything? For the thing that I said was never questioned by spectators, it has never been questioned, only mentioned. There is an important difference. And only once or twice in about a hundred performances is it mentioned, which is easy to brush off.

The card move used is actually the card move's goofy cousin. It doesn't have to be perfect, it can be sloppy, it's never seen.

Another point I wanted to make is, don't try and justify something that doesn't need to be justified. Don't do the mentalism equivalent of "I have a normal deck of cards".
We are picking at the smallest things, things that never even cross the spectators mind. Every single thing you say to them will be in their mind. So if you mention something that doesn't need mentioning then of course they will think about it or question it. They don't know what it takes to read minds, you do. If you just continue with your normal mind reading process, who are they to question anything? You are the expert. If they ever did question you, it is only out of curiosity, not suspicion.

Regarding doing this with pieces of paper, I will give you an example of when I use it. There is a bar here that I often perform in, and they give me a stack of complimentary drink tickets to use in my routines and hand out to people. These are glossy, smaller than business cards and are on the thinnest paper stock ever. They aren't the best things to use, but can be used just fine. I will upload a photo of them later. The best part is, rather than claiming their free drink with it, many people choose to keep this ticket with their drawing on the back as a little souvenir!

I hope that answers any questions (from what I can remember) I'm currently typing this in the sun and struggling to see the screen. I will hop back on later on and answer any more questions you may have Smile

Thank you all for your support and I am so glad to see so many people using AOK!

Cheers guys!
a brown 1968
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of a brown 1968
Hi Lewis

A well put together download .. Clearly people are loving it and you are generating audience reactions to make it part of your
Working repetitive but for me there are too many actions which have no justification that irk in my mind .

I guess I am more of a creator than performer

Kind Regards

Andrew
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » AOK by Lewis Lé Val (52 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL