We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » The future of the Art, Where willit be in 100 more years? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Possibly there will always be an interest in restraints and escapes even though they may Computer chips and lasers?

Ok I don't have a clue. What do you folks think?
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Stuart Burrell
View Profile
Veteran user
England
385 Posts

Profile of Stuart Burrell
Escapology will always exist. It can not be uninvented. It will have its lean times and its great times but it will always be here.

We, as an art / sport / event based media, need to move with the times but it will always exist.

The gap between those who are magic based and those who are escape based will grow but that has been going on since before Harry Houdini's day.
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
For this question, I think we have to ask why escapes are entertaining, which I think comes down to asking what universal human need they address.

If you have ever read anything on cold reading, you know that a very large percentage of the population responds positively to the statement:

"You feel hemmed in by restrictions and limitations."

Look around on the Café and you will see that this is true. People may lament that television and movies have killed off live entertainment, they could really be somewhere with their magic if it weren't for this. Many are looking for the perfect prop, perfect book, or perfect video to teach them the thing that would let them break through to the big time. If they could just find the right advice from someone here everything would be different! I actually find this universal human characteristic to be something that gives me great hope. We are always exploring the invisible wall around us like a street mime, where are the limits, is there some way through this?

Outside our magic life we have other limitations. There isn't enough money, if we just weren't held back by our day job, look at all the debt, boy did we mess up five or ten or twenty years ago - if we could just get in a time machine and give that moron some good advice!

When a person sees an escape, they see a visible representation of the limits that restrain them. The performer defeats the restraints! Maybe things will work out for them too!

Is there a future in escapes? As long as the human imagination is infinite (which is forever) and the resources available to an individual person, even the richest and most powerful, are finite (as they always will be), a performance in which an individual defeats physical restraints has archetypal significance, even if the audience does not understand the metaphor intellectually. The performance works because it bypasses the intellect.

Let's look at another story that always makes it big in the news: the lottery winner. Hey, this was just a regular person! Their troubles are over! I know exactly what I'd do if it were me! You see it is the same story.

Who knows how people will be restrained in the future? Watch Minority Report for the Hat and the Sickstick. It doesn't matter. Escape artists still escape from chains. We don't confine people with chains anymore. The chains are a metaphor.

Yours,

Paul
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Since I'll be around for the next 100 years working to pay off the debt that is life, I'll hop into a time machine and come back to tell you what we have been up too. Smile
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
I think we will mostly be escaping from the three-eyed green mutants that evolved from the radiation left over from the nuclear winter. Either that or escaping from gelatinous alien pods aboard the mothership. One of those. I'm not sure which.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
Now Dice, didn't I warn you about smoking those "funny" cigarettes? Smile
Tony
Stuart Burrell
View Profile
Veteran user
England
385 Posts

One thing that seems to be coming out of the brainstorming sessions around at the moment is the need for a lot more escapes to be fully inspectable.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Oh man! With a naturally twisted mind like mine, who needs chemicals?
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Quote:
On 2004-03-21 07:14, Stuart Burrell wrote:
One thing that seems to be coming out of the brainstorming sessions around at the moment is the need for a lot more escapes to be fully inspectable.

That realy is the general direction. It is realy out of our control, and in the hands of our audiences. The first crude metal detector was used on President Lincoln and failed. Since then they have become cheap and easy to get in the most compact forms. We could try to set the bar ourselves, but modern technology has all the control. We must not only beat the parameters of the escape as was done in the past, we also have to beat the technologies designed to see us fail.

I own an infrared thermal scanner, one of the first available to the public. When used properly by someone familiar with it, Thermal tech can be very tough to beat. It can be beaten though.

The one to watch for will be the newer scanning x-ray cameras, which up to this point in time are not available outside the usual govt agencies due to the dangers in use.

These are the things to work on if looking to the future. In a fully controlled show they are nothing to worry about, but for the few that intend to take public challenges, they offer something to think about.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Stuart Burrell
View Profile
Veteran user
England
385 Posts

If I recall my history correctly, it was A. Bell, (he of the telephone) who designed the metal detector but was thwarted by the iron spring in the bed. Lincon could not be moved so the device was deamed to be at fault.

Also if I recall Houdini wanted somthing to live on after his escapes which is why he flew the first powered aircraft in Australia, a fact that many forget and we now just know him for his escapes.

Maybe it is best not to prejudge history.
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
949 Posts

Profile of Riley
Certainly now that hand held metal scanners are affordable we need to watch out for them. As a former radar technician (seriously, that was my original trade many years ago!) I saw it coming. . . microwave ovens confirmed it . . technology gets smaller and less expensive then suddenly everyone has one, whatever it happens to be. We need to keep ahead of the game. I made non metalic gaffs several years ago, and in the last few years have been pleased to have them, and have certainly needed to use them. Some of the guys at the meeting yesterday have some "samples" from me - one day they are sure to need them. We need to keep our eyes and ears open and keep ahead.
Happy escaping.

Riley
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
Mmmm... chemicals...
Nathan Allen, The Maniac of Magic
www.maniacofmagic.com

To buy a prop is nothing.
To write a good routine is something.
To really entertain an audience is everything.
Michael Lee
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of Michael Lee
Hello All

To Control , To Escape, This is in many ways the story of the human Condition.

Forgeting my peers the "Professional Escapologist " for the moment I think the bottom line will always be God given " Human Inguenity,"
Which to this day has remained the truest real world standared for Freedom.

Now if your thinking about Props/ Apparatus then I would think that jails would be obsolete, Just as Animals can be confined to a certain area thru the use of Ultra sound waves I think that its a good possibility , So will human beings. as for cuffs etc
I think that time will tell.

Cheers

Michael Lee
Stuart Burrell
View Profile
Veteran user
England
385 Posts

An interesting idea.

A Jail Cell with no walls and only an ultrasound wall...might work as Ultrsonic cleaners can smash blood cells in the hand if you are silly enough to put your hand into one...

Would be an interesting design to work on if nothing else. Behavourism states that this will eventually become second nature for the prisoners to obey as opposed to the constant need to use it as a form of punishment for breaching the rules.

Foucault argued that point as did I. Pavlov who worked on Dogs in 1927 (I Think)
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
For all anyone knows, neuro-implants may be commonplace, 100 years from now. They could be used to control devices, such as nano-robots, to release the escapist. Then the performer would have to be scanned, during the escape, to show that no such device is activated. It could be a very different world.
Stuart Burrell
View Profile
Veteran user
England
385 Posts

If my time on Robot Wars has told me anything it is not to let anything robotic anywhere near you at all ever.

Maybe I am doomed to be an outcast in the future...alas
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Stuart,

It could be worse! You could be an anachronism like me trapped in the early 21st century.

Yours,

Paul
Stuart Burrell
View Profile
Veteran user
England
385 Posts

The time line of reality is so overrated. Maybe you are the only one in keeping with events and the rest of us are simply deluding ourselves?
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Stuart,

Point taken. Reality is just group fantasy.

Yours,

Paul
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » The future of the Art, Where willit be in 100 more years? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL