The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Any Women Magicians? Our IBM Ring Doesn't (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Trixie BOND.
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3226 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
The following topic is very similar to this one.

Why are there so few females in Magic?
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
Come with me to Spain and Mexico and I introduce you to some "His-Panic" Bro's Who ever coined that term anyway? We don't panic? We are always late for everything!

Joaquin Ayala, Ed Lorenzo, Armando Lucero, Juan Pablo,H.Evans, Balthazaar Fuentes,Oscar Munoz,Fenik,Harry Murphy (aka Mumblepeas), Juan Tamariz, Darwin Ortiz, and sure you may as well throw my name into the hat as well?

Last year at the SAM Convention we were treated to a very special segment which featured many of the great african-americans from our past and present in a Gala Show.

Joaquin Ayala informs me that a hispanic segment is in the works?

Don't worry about us? We'll catch up eventually? I told you we were always late?

Respectfully submitted,r2
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Exactly right about latino magic, and even a week every year at the Castle of the "Magic of Spain"--what an exciting list of Spanish, South American, and Mexican performers we have had.

We have many women performers at the Magic Castle, as well as African-American, and Asian.

Among the women: Trixie Bond, Juliana Chen, Lisa Menna (who earns more for one show than most male magicians make in a year), Becky Blaney, Joycee Beck, Cherie Soleil, Celeste Mills, Jillian Gotlieb (Zigee the Good Gypsy), Diana Zimmerman, Kathy Diamond, Jade, Jeanine Anderson, Malin, gee, I can think of many more.

African-American magicians include Goldfinger and Dove, Presto, Prince T, Ice McDonald, Chris Capehart, Sir James, etc.

Asians, are you kidding? Shimada, Ton Onasaka, Shoot Ogawa, Jason Tong, Juliana Chen, Jade, this is getting silly.

You guys need to get out more.
James Watkins
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of James Watkins
Well, one female performer who has always stood out to me, well two actually, Gay Blackstone, and Luna Shimada. I respect both of these women, and love their magic.

Keep it real,
James
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Another female in the business is my wife, Kristen Johnson. In fact she is in an even smaller group of females...Escape Artists.
In our show, Living Illusions, she performs several magical pieces on her own as well as amazing escapes. When we are not on the road (which isn't often) she does local shows on her own.
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Quote:
On 2004-06-22 13:26, Big Daddy Cool wrote:
Trixie BOND.

Haha! Thanks, Big Daddy. I have no idea what I was thinking there. Must not have had enough coffee in me when I wrote that.

I am such a dork.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Cheryl
View Profile
New user
Houston,Texas
12 Posts

Profile of Cheryl
I see the black male magicians but have yet to see any black females. And I wont count for a long time. Anyone know of any?
:handcuffs:
You don't chose magic...magic chooses you!
~Siegfried
"To rise above what seems impossible,one must first believe"
~Siegfried & Roy
"Magic is an illusion. Courage is real."
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
I get the feeling that a woman in attendance at a magic club (IBM, SAM, or whatever) MUST know how Dr. Jane Goodall felt. Smile
qenny
View Profile
New user
Scotland - New Zealand - London
57 Posts

Profile of qenny
I loved TomaskoMagic's suggestion of "prestidigitora" as a word for a female magician, although I respectfully suggest that prestidigitrix works even better. Would make a good name for a female-only magic group, too, I suspect.

I believe that there's an IBM Ring in the UK with a female president. Can't remember which one, but Tony Wilson (this year's IBM president) mentioned it in the latest email about his travels around the world.
Qenny
Sleightly Twisted
prettylady1990
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of prettylady1990
I'm a women magician but I don't do it professionally.
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Quote:
On 2004-09-25 06:21, Cheryl wrote:
I see the black male magicians but have yet to see any black females. And I wont count for a long time. Anyone know of any?

Why won't you count for a long time? Are you not yet black, or are you not yet female? (Chet sits back, confused.)
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2004-06-20 10:42, digimaestro wrote:
My daughter is in process of becoming a magic user.

digimaestro

The term "magic user" is used in role-playing games. It is not applicable to conjuring. The word "magician" is non-sexist and non-ethnic. It is general.

It is like "letter carrier," "actor," "waiter" and "teacher."

"Actress" and "waitress" are sexist terms.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Laughing Otter
View Profile
Loyal user
Behind you!
205 Posts

Profile of Laughing Otter
Quote:
On 2004-03-18 15:46, TomaskoMagic wrote:
Even the term- magician- is masculine don't you think? Doesn't have a place for women in it's name.

The word magician is in no way gender-specific. It has no place for men or women.
Any specificity is due to interpretation rather than actual meaning.

I once joined a SAM assembly. Some ignoramus announced to the group that because I was the only "girl", I should be the club's secretary. That notion had the life expectancy of yogurt in July.
(I'm sure this guy was an exception, and not representative of the average member.)
This fully grown woman got the heck out of there ASAP.
mrmysticmike
View Profile
Elite user
Cleveland, Ohio
427 Posts

Profile of mrmysticmike
We have 4 female magicians in our Ring. I believe all four work on a fairly regular basis in the surrounding area.
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Quote:
On 2004-09-27 21:59, qenny wrote:
I loved TomaskoMagic's suggestion of "prestidigitora" as a word for a female magician, although I respectfully suggest that prestidigitrix works even better. Would make a good name for a female-only magic group, too, I suspect.

I believe that there's an IBM Ring in the UK with a female president. Can't remember which one, but Tony Wilson (this year's IBM president) mentioned it in the latest email about his travels around the world.

British ring Ring 25

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2004-09-29 18:23, Laughing Otter wrote:

The word magician is in no way gender-specific.

Yes, it is. "Magician" is male. "Magicienne" is female. Smile
Laughing Otter
View Profile
Loyal user
Behind you!
205 Posts

Profile of Laughing Otter
Quote:
On 2004-10-07 00:58, dpe666 wrote:
Yes, it is. "Magician" is male. "Magicienne" is female.

"I'm always up for semantics!" -- Martin Riggs

I'm sure my friend Julie will laugh when I tell her she has to change her business card to read "Electricienne". <grin>
qenny
View Profile
New user
Scotland - New Zealand - London
57 Posts

Profile of qenny
Quote:

dpe666 responded with:
Quote:

*sharp intake of breath*

That's the kind of observation that can turn a normally placid woman into a terroristress.
Qenny
Sleightly Twisted
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2004-10-13 19:45, qenny wrote:
Quote:

dpe666 responded with:
Quote:

*sharp intake of breath*

That's the kind of observation that can turn a normally placid woman into a terroristress.

Well, I COULD have said, "Yes, it is, Babe." Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Any Women Magicians? Our IBM Ring Doesn't (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL