The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Puzzle of the bigamist (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mike paris
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of mike paris
Hi all ,i am new to this site but not new to magic,so I thought maybe I could give you a puzzle you may not have heard,let,s see,,,2 men are in a bar having a chat these men have never met before,in walk 2 women first man says to the second man here comes my wife and daughter,the other man says now wait a minute that's my wife and daughter,,,,well there you have it lets see if you know it,mike
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26871 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Are they wearing name tags?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
mike paris
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of mike paris
Good idea I will call 1st man brian 2nd man john,the 2 women I will name anne and carol
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26871 Posts

Thanks Mike, I was wondering if one was named Daughter.
Craig Matsuoka
View Profile
Loyal user
Kailua, Hawaii
271 Posts

Profile of Craig Matsuoka
Are Anne and Carol half sisters?

If so, that would mean Brian and John each fathered a child by the same woman - that woman being the mother of Anne and Carol. Brian married Carol (John's daughter), and John married Anne (Brian's daughter).

Iffin that ain't the solution, I reck'n it oughtta be.
mike paris
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of mike paris
Jonathan,you are on the right track,craig you are even closer,,a little more thought,mike
pxs
View Profile
Loyal user
London
284 Posts

Profile of pxs
How about this

Brian (age 50) married Anne (aged 40) and had a daughter Carol (aged 20)
John (aged 60) married Carol (aged 20) and - by a previous relationship many years earlier - had a daughter Anne (aged 40)
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26871 Posts

Sorry, I just re-read the Heinlein story 'All You Zombies' so will stay out of this one. They could all be the same person.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1740 Posts

Profile of 0pus
In that case, not only are they all the same person, but they are probably also mike paris.

0pus
mike paris
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of mike paris
Pxs,you are very close,but not quite there,because you are close I will give answer soon,mike
mike paris
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of mike paris
Pxs,you are very close,but not quite there,because you are close I will give answer soon,mike
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26871 Posts

One could also go for the Philip K. Dick version where both guys are visitors from separate timelines as in 'Man in the High Tower'.

Got Wu?
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Maybe they'd just been drinking in the bar too long. Only one woman walked in and was related to neither of them.
mike paris
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of mike paris
Ok here it is,brian marries X and they have a daughter ANNE,brian divorces X ,,,,john marries Y and they have a daughter CAROL, john divorces Y,,,so now brian marries carol ,and john marries anne ,and so the 2 women are wife(carol) and daughter(anne) to brian, and wife(anne) and daughter(carol) to john,,was the title a help or a hindrence?the art of suggestion our powerful ally in magic.,mike
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26871 Posts

Got it!

The two women are a performing duo who perform under the group name 'My Wife and Daughter'.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Puzzle of the bigamist (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL