The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Color changing knife (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Corrado
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Corrado
Hi everyone, I made a research, but I didn't find anything about that:
I'm thinking to do a color changing knife routine with just a knife. I've already put together something, but I would to know your opinion and your ideas.

Thank you
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
You didn't research much! There have been a gezillion posts about CC knives.

CC Knife with only one knife?!? Good Luck.

"I've already put together something, but I would to know your opinion and your ideas." [you left out a verb!)

We can't give an opinion about "nothing", which is what you mention: nothing.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Corrado
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Corrado
I'm appalled by the arrogance and rudeness that exists in the world!

Perhaps I did not explain well, unfortunately I'm not American or English and my Acquaintances of the language is limited , but the question seems pretty clear in my opinion: I would like to collect some opinions about the idea about a routine with only one knife. For the moment I do not want advice on what I put together.

And for clarity, I did a lot of research on the forum, but no result was about routines with only one knife, so I think it is a new topic! I did not ask anything about a technique or something that has already been discussed, so I think your answer out of place, disrespectful and totally useless.

Corrado
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22570 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
There are no routines or instructions for routines for only one knife in magic, to change the color. Maybe the inventors were not creative enough, as the idea of passing a knive through your had and changing the color brings more problems then mystery.

How do they (inspect) handle the knife.

Changing from say a white knife to a black handled knife is passé to say the least.

That is why the classic CC Knife routine was invented. It is built in misdirection and takes the on-looker on a magical journey.

There are 2 books on the color changing knife, none mentions only the use of on CC Knife.

Corrado, please don't demean people on the Café for your incomplete posts. You said more in your insulting post, then you did with your original question. You owe the professional Dick Oslund an apology, he is a well established and famous magician in the magic community.

This is an American website, so we have to assume Americans are posting unless otherwise stated.
HusssKarson
View Profile
Loyal user
Ca, US
265 Posts

Profile of HusssKarson
Years ago I saw this color changing USB, I thought what a great idea to travel with this. Knife is not the most friendly object with travel with. But I can't recall what the product name is. Anyone here could help?
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1576 Posts

Profile of Ihop
I saw Dan Garret do a routine with one knife at a SAM lecture about 4 years ago.
Unfortunately I didn't buy his lecture notes.
Perhaps you can contact him.
Ihor
Corrado
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Corrado
Hello Bill, thank you for your answer. I apologize to Dick if my answer may be found offensive, but honestly the first who did not respect me it was just Dick with his ways and his words. I re-read my post and frankly it seems to me quite clear! I would like to create a routine with a single knife. Ideas? Opinions? End! I have not asked for opinions on what I already thought (otherwise I would have written about what I'm working on), but the idea in general. I specified that I did a search and could not find anything on the subject. The argument is not the CCK, but routines with only a knife.
I also stated in my presentation in the special section that are Italian, so, theoretically, everyone should know that I'm not American.
I simply asked some opinions and instead the response I received was completely disrespectful and the only thing related to my request was "GOOD LUCK."
So, what determines who to respect? The degree of notoriety? The magical knowledge? The chronological age? Dick deserves respect, it is true, and I? I do not deserve to be respected? I apologize to Dick, but my idea does not change, Sorry!

Thank you HussKarsom and lhop.

A question to lhop: do you know if the procedure you are referring to is the one in the Dan's Penguin live lecture? Thank you very much
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1576 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Corrado,
I'm sorry but I do not know if the routine is in Dans' Penguins' live lecture. I've never seen the Penguin lecture.
I only remember the Sam lecture I attended.
Sorry I can't be of more help.
Ihor
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1576 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2016, HusssKarson wrote:
Years ago I saw this color changing USB, I thought what a great idea to travel with this. Knife is not the most friendly object with travel with. But I can't recall what the product name is. Anyone here could help?

Yes, it is
Flash by Chad Long (DVD + Gimmick)
It is available on Penguin Magic.
Ihor
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5949 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2016, Bill Hegbli wrote:
There are no routines or instructions for routines for only one knife in magic, to change the color. Maybe the inventors were not creative enough, as the idea of passing a knive through your had and changing the color brings more problems then mystery.

How do they (inspect) handle the knife.

Changing from say a white knife to a black handled knife is passé to say the least.

That is why the classic CC Knife routine was invented. It is built in misdirection and takes the on-looker on a magical journey.

There are 2 books on the color changing knife, none mentions only the use of on CC Knife.

Corrado, please don't demean people on the Café for your incomplete posts. You said more in your insulting post, then you did with your original question. You owe the professional Dick Oslund an apology, he is a well established and famous magician in the magic community.

This is an American website, so we have to assume Americans are posting unless otherwise stated.
Bill, sorry, no disrespect, but your response is so typical. Thinking the entire world revolves around the English language. It's the typical ugly American response. You should've been able to figure out as I did that the OP's first language wasn't English. So cut him and anyone else who's first language some slack.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22570 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2016, motown wrote:
Bill, sorry, no disrespect, but your response is so typical. Thinking the entire world revolves around the English language. It's the typical ugly American response. You should've been able to figure out as I did that the OP's first language wasn't English. So cut him and anyone else who's first language some slack.

If you would experience the world you should know almost all countries are taught English in school. They learn to print in block letters as well.

And if you read the Café rules it says to use English.

I have from being on the Café, members do not like anyone to assume anything about them. It is lose - Lose situation and your are not helping people thinking they are being insulted, when in fact, as represented they are not even a person, but a fake name, and that is all. They don't know or understand the idea of a fake persona on the Internet.

This is not about the English Language, but not posting a complete question, Mr. Oslund, assumed facts concerning his question, and you did not read my response and what I said correctly either.

I see you did not give the OP an answer, why not? Answer Corrado's question.
ebackes88
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of ebackes88
Back to the question TC Tahoe did a single color changing knife routine in his penguin magic lecture, and Dan Garett does go over his in his penguin lecture as well.
tctahoe
View Profile
V.I.P.
Lakeland Fl.
700 Posts

Profile of tctahoe
Ebackers88 Thank you for the mention. Yes I do go over it in my Penguin Lecture. My one knife routine, and yes the audience gets to inspect the knife, was a staple in my restaurant work.

You can find the knife routine here
http://www.lybrary.com/tc-tahoe-rethinks......158.html

and my Penguin lecture here

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7089

if you have any question, feel free to ask.
TC
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
5949 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2016, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Quote:

If you would experience the world you should know almost all countries are taught English in school. They learn to print in block letters as well.

I have from being on the Café, members do not like anyone to assume anything about them. It is lose - Lose situation and your are not helping people thinking they are being insulted, when in fact, as represented they are not even a person, but a fake name, and that is all. They don't know or understand the idea of a fake persona on the Internet.

This is not about the English Language, but not posting a complete question, Mr. Oslund, assumed facts concerning his question, and you did not read my response and what I said correctly either.

I rather respond to your rude treatment of him. Trust me, I've traveled outside the country many many times, have you? Judging by your statement I'm not so sure, because, your assumption is wrong. It's also ridiculous of you to think that every person who's first language isn't English can write as well as you can. Ever heard the term lost in translation? So, get off your soap box and try being more understanding.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1239 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Ebac thanks for the help. thanks tahoe,

I also wish to ask for a little slack and respect for Mr. Oslund. He is a grandfather of magic. Maybe when we get to his age and go through what he has,
we might post something that sounds a bit short as well. I appreciate both sides, but just say, try to find out more about who you get mad at. They might have helped
a ton of people, but are not perfect. They still deserve our respect.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
5949 Posts

Profile of motown
Corrado,

Here's a link you may find of valur:

http://magicref.tripod.com/magref/magknife.htm

Dick is a fantastic guy, noting but the utmost respect for him and his knowledge.
– Karl Germain
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22570 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Someone above mentioned Dan Garrett Lecture they attended, I looked it up, Dan Garrett sells a DVD called Forward Into The Past, Only $15.00. Under the title it states, Knife Act – A surprisingly visual approach to the color-changing knives. Notice the plural "knives", the OP ask for a routine with a single CC knife. It may well be an error in typing, but it may be worth a look see, Dan Garrett is an excellent magician.

The original post did not mention if he was referring to the standard Color Changing Knife routine or something he was trying to create, as the original routine, only one knife is displayed during a performance, but the Knife Through Trouser pant Leg Into Pocket, makes it worth the price.

http://www.dangarrettmagic.com/magic-for-magicians-only.html
Corrado
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Corrado
Thank you all for your answers.
I saw TC's routine and I'll write to him a pm for some clarifications.
I also saw Dan Garrett's lecture, but his routine isn't with just a knife.
Thank you Motown, I already knew it, but it is always better to refresh your memory.
Thank you Bill, as you said, Dan's routine uses 2 knives.

Some clarifications: I do not know well where I'm going, I'm thinking about different aspects. Not necessarily the effect must be the color change.
For example, I have some ideas for a routine with a Swiss knife (ungimmicked) where the logo appears and disappears, etc., or a routine with a classic color changing knife in which, in addition to color changes effect, it disappears, reappears, etc.

I hope I explained.

My intention was to avoid details for not influence thoughts and ideas.

Thank you all
Blaine G
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Blaine G
Hi Corrado,
Your English is a heck of a lot better than my Italian Smile~

I do not understand what you mean "with one knife?" Do you mean one gimmmicked knife? If yes, do you have matching regular knives? Ascanio's World of Knives has a short single color change routine. But it requires a regular white knife, a regular colored knife, and the gimmmicked white/color knife.

Do you have a gimmicked knife and a regular knife? If yes, read on. If no, get one.

Personally, I do not like routines with color changing knives, it screams trick knife. I prefer to use my color change in a short bit rather than a routine.

To set the stage I allow the spectators to handle the WHITE knife multiple times, a casual inspection. I have them use it to cut string, pick a card in a deck, as a magic wand, or to open a prediction envelope. (I have a beautiful set of old Merrill knives) It is left on the table between tricks. This sets up the knife as a regular pocket knife that any man would carry and use. At one point I will switch the knives and perform a few fancy color change moves with the white/blue knife (drawing attention to the new BLUE color). All moves come from Ascanio's World of Knives. After a couple of color changes (20 to 30 seconds at most) I switch the white/blue knife back to the white/white knife and just leave it on the table.

I have found that casual handling and use of the knife works for me. Good luck to you.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22570 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Jul 12, 2016, motown wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2016, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Quote:

I rather respond to your rude treatment of him. Trust me, I've traveled outside the country many many times, have you? Judging by your statement I'm not so sure, because, your assumption is wrong. It's also ridiculous of you to think that every person who's first language isn't English can write as well as you can. Ever heard the term lost in translation? So, get off your soap box and try being more understanding.

Yes, been in the military, been to numerous countries, civilians work on military bases. They do know English when it is advantageous to them. Most likely have more interaction with locals then you have.

And you are rude for your post as well, how about a little understanding. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Color changing knife (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL