The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » What do you do most? (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ebackes88
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of ebackes88
There are a lot of "what's the best trick," "what tricks do you carry" threads. This is not completely original, or even to far off, but I was wondering what is the one trick you would say you do the most? Or if you could only have one trick what would it be? Mine is "Pointless" by Gregory Wilson. It's quick, multi-phased, in the hands and uses any everyday object which can be examined. Also you are perfectly set up to go into his routine "Re-Cap" afterwards.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston MO
1431 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
I ask if they have ever seen one of these and produce a silver morgan. I say I've been teaching it to walk, goes across my knuckles, run, same only faster, and fall, drop it from one hand to the other. The hardest part was teaching it to fly, muscle pass. It's quick and visual. I like to do Coins Across or Chicago Opener the most though.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8345 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I started doing the coin roll in the fall of '46, and in the next several years, I was doing 2, then 3, then 4 Franklin half $, I got the idea of doing 4 from a "SHADOW" story. Magician Walter Gibson, who ghosted the Mark Wilson "Complete Course", wrote the "Shadow" stories for years. In the '40s it was a weekly radio show. --IIRC, Orson Welles was the first Lamont Cranston --aka "The Shadow").

Then, in '50, I started doing the 5 Coin Star, with both hands. One of my mentors, the late C. Thomas Magrum, had shown me HIS method.

Those two flourishes were my specialties. I had been doing a 5 coin production (Downs Palm) with both hands which I learned from a fellow carny in '46, so, I had 3 "dazzlers" for the magicians!

To be "correct" the coin roll and the star were really "contact juggling", not magic, The Downs was magic!

I tried, but, never could do the muscle pass! I know a few young guys who can. --I'm envious!!!

At 84, the hands are "going". --but, I have great memories!

I just remembered...I usta do a three coin "catch". With 3 coins on the back of my hand, wrist, and forearm, I could toss them in the air, and, catch them one at a time. (I managed to do it with 4 coins ONCE!) Jay said he had seen a magician in Europe, who did 4, consistently.

I still do some ring and string stuff (Grismer, Clifton, Nelson) and, many knots and "juggling" bits with rope. All angle proof!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston MO
1431 Posts

Your completely right Mr. Oslund. It is a bit of juggling. I think that is what draws them in. They think the dexterity is interesting then a coin Flys and they don't know what to think. I just started playing with ring and rope using Greg Wilson's Ring Leader. It looks fun
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8345 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I just "snuck" back in here...

Yeah! I started with rope/knots when I read Ralph W. Hull's "Fifteen Minutes With A Piece of Rope" in 1946. That book is long out of print, but, the material that I got from it has helped me make a living, since!

Rope & string are becoming "antiques" (hee hee). I think because of "velcro", and nylon straps with plastic "friction" buckles. However, a few people still wear shoes with LACES, so, they still understand a little about knots & loops, etc.!

Oh! for the days of my youth, when toys didn't have batteries inside!!!

I still use G.W. Hunter's "Shoelace Knot in my act, and, his vanishing overhand knot, too. Joe Ovette's "Repeat Knots" get repeated in almost every show, and, still get laughs, and applause. Bob Carver's Professor's Nightmare ALWAYS gets laughs and applause!

When working hospitality suites, I got lots of "mileage" from G. W. Hunter's "impossible Knot". I carried extra ropes, and, could have the whole room full of corporate executives, trying to tie a simple overhand knot!

When I needed to pad out my 45 minute school show to 60 minutes for a family evening program, Dante's "Lazy Magician" was put in. I carried two extra silks, and, an extra "long" rope, from Prof. Nightmare. With bits of business, it filled (not KILLED) time. It was colorful, involved spectators, needed no set up, It packed small & light, was angle proof, the effect was visual, and visible, it was a recognizable prop, no table was needed, it was spot adaptable, and, even, windproof (outdoor shows).

DANTE used the "Lazy Magician" to give himself a "break"! He's not particularly remembered for any big illusion, but, that two lengths of rope, a handful of silks, and his cane "makes it" in MY memory bank! Oh...BTW..."The lazy Magician" found a place in HARRY JR.'S SHOW, TOO! (Harry KNEW!)

One can do "miracles" with a deck of cards. Occasionally, though, one can be booked for people who consider playing cards as "the devil's bible".

AS a PROP, a piece of rope can be cut & restored, produced, vanished, stretched, penetrated through something, or be penetrated by something, changed to something else, "juggled", ETC. --IT IS VERSATILE!!!

So! it's impossible for me to say which "one" trick is "the" ONE!

Of course, my 20th Century Silks is NEXT TO CLOSING, and, my Misers Dream, CLOSES the show for the elementary age kids. (I cannot follow it!)

I guess my problem is, I cannot make decisions!!! (heqq, my golf ball routine, and, my color changing silk are "pretty" good,too! When I think about it, my egg bag aint bad, either...Stewart James' Tip Cee Bottle (a "dollar" trick in Percy Abbott's #7 catalog) CLOSES the high school show. Then, there is my wands & brakawa fan routine. On several occasions in senior high schools, I received a standing ovation with the wands & fan!

Hey "OP"! You have messed up my whole afternoon! I hate making decisions!!! (I'm going to hate you in installments...so it lasts longer!)
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
589 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Dick, I love reading your posts. Especially when you close it with a great line like "I'm going to hate you in installments...so it lasts longer!" hahahahahah That cracked me up!
(For anyone else who loves Dick's posts, if you don't have his book, get it! I am reading it for the second time.)

Just wanted to express that, because I'm really enjoying reading this thread.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8345 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Well, I must be honest! I'm not as "clever" as I sound! I "borrowed" that line from a Robert Orben patter book that I paid $1.00 for, back in the '40s!

Now! Remember! When reading my book: NEVER use a fried egg for a bookmark!

Also! You should never read my book a SECOND time! NO!, buy a new copy!

P.S. I'll be at Abbott's GTG in the dealer room next month. (Selling books, dvds, and some old, used TTs ETC.)
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
589 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
HAHAHA! SEE! I'm having a really horrible morning and you just brightened it up quite a bit.

God, I so wish I could be there to buy up a bunch of your stuff. Have fun, and good luck!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8345 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I have 6 left handed TTs, all painted red, and a box of pieces of rope too short to use.plus a bag of used only once, flash paper.

If you take the lot, I'll mail it postage paid in CONUSA.

I had better not list anything else, or the editors will move this to the ""Tricks for sale "department"...
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston MO
1431 Posts

That or you'll need to open a dealers ad. I'm very sad you barely got into your book and won't take it on the road, moisture and such. However I loved your dvd. You were great with the kids. Also your misers dream was the best
ebackes88
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of ebackes88
Quote:
On Jul 19, 2016, Dick Oslund wrote:
I have 6 left handed TTs, all painted red, and a box of pieces of rope too short to use.plus a bag of used only once, flash paper.

If you take the lot, I'll mail it postage paid in CONUSA.

I had better not list anything else, or the editors will move this to the ""Tricks for sale "department"...

Sorry, I only use purple thumb tips.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8345 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
My mother had a "green thumb" (her garden always was fabulous (both to look at, and, to eat what it produced.)

However, I couldn't raise WEEDS! So, I settled for a red thumb. (It goes well with a red silk.)
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Hopefully I'll pass my exams with
1567 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
I probably just use a DL and a card changes into theirs in their hand and also I do envylope
Imirik
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Imirik
Ill regularly do a Chicago Opener leaving the odd card on the floor for the 2nd part of the effect, and then go into a Ambitious routine. don't forget to take a sharpie though, always makes it look more convincing and professional!
wil3923
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of wil3923
Performing some card location effects, then end it up with Little Door.
Magikgym
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Magikgym
Love little door. One of my favorites along with double cross and Tru xtreme. Perform mostly coin and rubber band magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » What do you do most? (7 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL