We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Larry Jennings Chop Cup Routine (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
789 Posts

Profile of danaruns
Hi. Is Larry Jennings' chop cup routine a commercial routine? I learned it by watching a video and deconstructing it, but last night when I performed it at a party, another magician said about it, "There's nothing wrong with performing commercially sold routines." What?? Is it sold commercially? I've never seen it.
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1747 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Danarums:

I am not aware of Larry Jennings Chop Cup routine having been sold commercially at any time in the past.

You may consider looking at these two links for more information:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......c=485259
http://www.larryjennings.com/print.htm

On a side note...one of the greatest thrills of my life as a Magician was having a friendly "argument" with Larry at the Magic Castle about the best version of Open Travelers...of course he said that Vernon's version was the best......I countered with "no....I think that Don England's version....called "Open Travelers Plus"...published in Best Of Friends was the best...

Rich Bloch told me that "No one ever argues with Larry Jennings about card effects here at The Castle..........not only did you argue with him.....you WON".....I loved it!!

Here's a YouTube link to Don's performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTcORp6GxvY
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21858 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Actually, the Larry Jennings routine was published in Genii Magazine back in the 1970's, and an another version several months later. It is also published in his book, one by Jeff Busby and the hardbound by Richard Kauffman.

Ken Brooke added much of the Jennings' material in his routine that is published as part of the Ken Brooke Series through Stevens Magic.

It not your fault, you were just born to late to know this, unless you do some research and subscribe to Genii Magazine and search their archives. If you do not search you will not find what you are looking for on the Internet.

Yes, it is only in print, no video instruction. That was before ease of video was available to the masses, and the Internet.

Sorry that you had to encounter a person like that, did you ask him to show his unique Chop Cup Routine, that is totally original.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3198 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Larry's routine was largely based on Ron Wilson's Chop Cup routine.
bigfoot
View Profile
Special user
503 Posts

Profile of bigfoot
I have it in his lecture notes somewhere. It seems to me there were several places it was released.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2614 Posts

Profile of Tom G
It is also taught on DVD.
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
789 Posts

Profile of danaruns
Wow. I had no idea. For being offered commercially so many times, it's absolutely impossible to find on the interwebs. Weird. Magic, I guess. Smile

I posted the question just because another magician mentioned it to me and I was curious if he was right. I like the routine, so I learned it by spending the time to watch Larry's performance over and over, and deconstructing it one move at a time. I'm not even sure I would have preferred to learn it by buying it. There is something about having learned it by figuring it out move-by-move that makes me feel more connected to it. I have made the routine my own, but I still feel that connection whenever I perform it, and I was a little bothered to hear that it was sold commercially. Oh, well. live and learn. Smile
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1147 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Maybe the context or whatever made it otherwise, but it sure sounds like the other magician was just being a jerk.

Most magicians would not classify something as a "commercially sold routine" just because it's been published somewhere.

This other magician performs only effects he invented himself, does he?
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
980 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Larry Jenning's chop cup routine is also on L&L World's Greatest Chop Cups routines.

Not sure why ANY magician would be critical of performing published routines in ANY venue.

Seems kind of foolish to ignore good routines that have been developed over the years. Kind of like changing Romeo & Juliet just to be different ...

Hudson
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
789 Posts

Profile of danaruns
Just to be clear, he was not being a jerk. There is some context to it, as we were discussing performing for a particular group of magician judges in a specific context. I'm sorry I made him sound like a jerk. He's the world's nicest magician.
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1147 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Quote:
On Jul 13, 2016, danaruns wrote:
He's the world's nicest magician.

Oh? I (ahem) don't recall us having that conversation, but if you say so ...

Anyway, most magicians would not consider the LJCC a "commercially sold routine", they'd save that term for The Latest From Sansminds or something like that. And congratulations on figuring it out on your own.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
It's also taught by James Swain in 21st Century Card Magic.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Jennings' Chop Cup routine is published in Busby's On Card and Coin Handling. This is a small but great book on Larry's magic. It's also in the A Private Lesson DVD. This is a disk all Jennings fans should own.
M. Tesla
View Profile
Regular user
Coral Springs, Florida
155 Posts

Profile of M. Tesla
Quote:
On Jul 13, 2016, 55Hudson wrote:
Larry Jenning's chop cup routine is also on L&L World's Greatest Chop Cups routines.

Not sure why ANY magician would be critical of performing published routines in ANY venue.

Seems kind of foolish to ignore good routines that have been developed over the years. Kind of like changing Romeo & Juliet just to be different ...

Hudson

I have the L&L WGM Chop Cup DVD...some nice routines on it...
While the amount of water has remained static, the amount of Tequila and Triple Sec available for making Margaritas has expanded enormously. So you see, we have made progress after all. ~Anonymous
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8279 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Jul 12, 2016, 55Hudson wrote:

Hudson

"Youse" have said it, "real good", Hudson!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3198 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Aug 26, 2016, Dick Oslund wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 12, 2016, 55Hudson wrote:

Hudson

"Youse" have said it, "real good", Hudson!

Also agree.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Larry Jennings Chop Cup Routine (8 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL