The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Rubicon (176 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15~16~17~18~19..25..30..35..40..43~44~45 [Next]
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10615 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Sep 1, 2016, pegasus wrote:
Makes you laugh though. Anyone else would have been hung-drawn-and quartered..

I tend to agree.

Some get a bigger line of goodwill credit.

Greg is one of them.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4803 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Sep 2, 2016, saysold1 wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 1, 2016, pegasus wrote:
Makes you laugh though. Anyone else would have been hung-drawn-and quartered..

I tend to agree.

Some get a bigger line of goodwill credit.

Greg is one of them.

LOL. How did I know you would jump on the Bandwagon with Pegasus.....

Now, I looked back through the café and Exact Change had a delay in the DVD production- Greg notified everyone about the delay then released it when he said he would after making the DVD better.

Exact Change - Greg again notified everyone about the delay, said it would be released in about 10 days, it was released before the 10 days.

Unleashed - seemed to have a delay- again Greg posted on his website that it would be delayed.

Besides the hiccup with the release of Freakey I can't see a pattern here with Greg. Maybe you can help point it out to me Saysold and Pegasus??
Not to mention, once Freakey was delivered the majority purchasers expressed their high regards and satisfaction with the product. This is not the case with the majority of preorders. Not in comparison with the few preorders Greg has had over the years.

So maybe you can point out something I have missed Saysold with the "Bigger Line of Goodwill Credit".

RNK
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8225 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Hiccup? Lmao. See what I mean?
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4803 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Sep 2, 2016, pegasus wrote:
Hiccup? Lmao. See what I mean?

No. Actually I don't LMAO!! You still have no answered or responded to my previous post how Freakey was a huge hit amongst many and his only product to have a significant delay due to manufacturing process's so Greg could provide a better quality product in the end as opposed to many other preorders where people have waited only to be disappointed with the end product after receiving. So please explain how Greg always gets a pass as you previously stated when only ONE of his products had missed it's mark but yet was still a quality product?

Come Pegasus, try a little harder LOL!!
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8225 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Here's the 'hiccup' in full.

March 2007

The Café becomes buzzed with rumors of a new effect by the awesome Gregory Wilson called "FreaKey". He had it for sale at Blackpool, and now everybody of course wanted one. Hocus Pocus says they'll have some in 4 weeks.

April 2007

http://gregorywilsonfx.com has it for sale on their site, Hocus Pocus has zero in stock, and no other vendors do either. Freakey goes on pre-order at Hocus Pocus, MJM and other major dealers.

May 2007

No vendors have received it, yet. Hocus Pocus has it for sale at $74. Paul (owner of Hocus Pocus) says, "I just got an email from Gregory Wilson. He just returned from England and will be shipping our order of Freakey in 10 days."

MJM says, "I haven't yet heard of any reasonable excuse as to why it's taken so long, which is unfortunate."

Here's the email from Greg: "Just got back from a three-week tour of jolly ol' England and only had enough Freakey's to send out on a temporary basis. The "real" fully-formed batch will be ready in about 10 days. Will send out 100 to you then. Thanks for the order. We'll talk soon."

June 2007

Paul writes, "According to the last conversation I had with our supplier we should have Freakey sometime next week. That's the most up to date information that I have."

Also, "Let me be very clear. NOBODY is shipping these now. I spoke to our supplier this afternoon directly. Greg has changed the instructional DVD and the packaging of this effect that is what has caused the delay, so no dealers have them to ship. He said that they should start shipping in approx. 7 days."

July 2007 - no news

August 2007

Greg finally speaks, "the dealers mistakenly thought it was available and had prematurely advertised it. They never asked me about its release in America and took it upon themselves to take pre-orders without my approval or agreement."

Huh? Greg you emailed Paul Gross that you'd ship him some in May.

Paul's response, "Throughout the long wait I have not yet once received an update or notification of delay directly from Greg. All of our information has been obtained second hand."

September 2007

FreaKey hits Murphys, and is distributed to your favorite dealer.

Oh wait - another wrinkle! Greg only shipped out 64 copies?! That's right, Hocus Pocus was the only dealer to sell them. So now HP begins pricing it at the normal $95 with a discounted price of $91. Greg complains (methinks, more later) and the discount is removed making it $95 again. But not before I scored my copy for $71 !

So why did the discount vanish, and no other dealers have it? Perhaps the answer lies within the Magic Bunny forum, in this post:

Quote:
On a side note I emailed Greg regarding buying it cheaper from a dealer (plus there will be no import charges!) and he says:

Quote:
These opportunistic dealers who are discounting and undercutting ME. Makes me not want to sell any more merchandise wholesale or through distributors!!!

"These opportunistic dealers" says it all. Those evil dealers are offering my phat loot at 10% off. How dare them. F@#* those guys, I'll just sell it from my site!

Isn't this an odd statement from Gregory Wilson, who's sold countless items through Penguin and Murphys already, and is WELL AWARE of the dealers' existing discounts? If discounts are an issue, why didn't he take a stance with the dealers on pricing?

Even more ironic is why you'd buy it from a dealer charging full price, when you'd need to pay shipping on top of it? Greg's site offers free shipping, plus your keys will be uncut, allowing you to create your own house key from them.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4803 Posts

Profile of RNK
LMAO!!!!!! Again- maybe you didn't actually READ my post- I stated BESIDES Freakey! Too Funny!!!

Your claim was how Greg always get a pass (to paraphrase) but yet you cannot provide any information except ONE instance. Wow....
King14
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of King14
Any shop should have the product in stock before money is taken from the customer. It is different if your are getting something special made a deposit is all that should be needed. But Magicians are getting ripped of by pre orders which don't come in on time.

If this keeps going on and proper business practice is not used by magic shops they will be taking pre orders for 2018.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8225 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Well said King14. You talk sense.
Jack Straw
View Profile
Special user
Wichita
870 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
I really don't want to get involved here, BUT.....

In July Greg said that he was only waiting for the printed labels for Rubicon (and that right there should tell you something about Rubicon), and that they would be received in a few days, and that Rubicon would DEFINITELY ship by August 1st.

Then a week later he said that there were other things wrong with what he had already received.

So, if he had everything except the labels, then there was no quality control check on the things that he already had in stock.

Or maybe nothing was in stock at the time that he said that.

But his trip to Europe went off on time.

Magicians are very good at deception.

All I can say is that I'm tired of the BS here.

And we allow it to happen.

Well, some of us do.

Once I get messed over, I never buy from that person again.

And by the way, I am a mentalist, and here is my prediction:

Rubicon will NOT ship in September.

Write it down.

But, of course, I have an out hidden underneath my keyboard!
Jack Straw from Wichita, cut his buddy down
And dug for him a shallow grave, and laid his body down
Half a mile from Tucson, by the morning light
One man gone and another to go, my old buddy you're moving much too slow
We can share the women, we can share the wine
jnork
View Profile
Regular user
Jason Christopher
166 Posts

Profile of jnork
I have to admit, I'm with Jack. "ready to ship aside from the labels" ... then ... problem with the manufacture. Here's what I suggest, PROMISE a 'in time for Christmas 2016' and when they ship on November 1, guess what ? SUPER HAPPY CUSTOMERS since they were looking for 12/25 and got it 55 days EARLY. Don't go the other direction promise August 1 ship and send it 55 days LATE.

I use Scotty's principle from Star Trek: Multiply all estimates by 2.5 ... in that way he can seem like a miracle worker. In my business, I do that. I tell a client, you'll have it by 5 pm, KNOWING I'm getting it to them within the hour. The perception? Wow, this guy exceeded expectations, he's awesome. I'm just sayin'...

Honestly, what I feel is that more often than not, some creators need 'seed money' to actually PUT the project together. They get a quote from the manufacture and then drum up the 'pre-order' sales to actually PAY the manufacturer to START to MAKE the gimmick at that time.

Jason
Yours in Magic!
Jason
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3730 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I seem to remember back in about 1988. A guy very few had heard of was taking orders for a VHS to accompany his book. I paid, waited a couple months (or longer) and it arrived. The money paid was used to produce the tape. I loved my Harkey On Video, by the way, and it was well worth the wait.

Steve
On The Offbeat
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of On The Offbeat
Hopefully it will ship in September but if it does it will probably be on the last day of the month. Smile
We will just have to wait and see. I pre-ordered because I really like this effect and couldn't resist saving a hundred bucks.
Even if it's delayed another couple months I will be glad I got it for the discounted price, but if it takes longer than that I'll begin to get upset.

I like to support the creators directly but to be honest I will usually try and order a prop from an established dealer because I've had trouble with ordering direct from creators.
Creators typically aren't used to shipping products daily and have too many other irons in the fire. If you're order happens to arrive the day after they've left for a 2 month lecture tour you may never see the product, or even if you do it will be extremely late and you'll most likely receive no communication. They usually don't have very good customer service because it's not their main thing, it's something they're doing to supplement their income and to be honest most are not that concerned about it. It seems like it's more of a neccessary evil. Bill Abbott is one exception that I have had repeatedly good and prompt service with.

Greg's a busy guy I'm sure and I have no doubt that he will come through with this eventually but I just hope it's sooner rather than later.
An update would be nice even it's only to say that he checked with his manufacturer and things seem to on schedule or not.
Jack Straw
View Profile
Special user
Wichita
870 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Quote:
On Sep 2, 2016, Stevethomas wrote:
I seem to remember back in about 1988. A guy very few had heard of was taking orders for a VHS to accompany his book. I paid, waited a couple months (or longer) and it arrived. The money paid was used to produce the tape. I loved my Harkey On Video, by the way, and it was well worth the wait.

Steve

I would say that this is OK if your customers are AWARE that your money is being used to finance the manufacturing.

But today we have KickStarter (and others, if I'm not mistaken) to accomplish that goal.

Don't use The Magic Café as a KickStarter!

And don't continue to deceive us when you have people waiting for you to come through- be honest. I've heard that honesty is the best policy, although I can't remember where.

Also, come here and give updates as often as possible, ya know what I mean?

Greg hasn't posted here in 33 days. But he's had no problem spending your money during that time. And your $300 investment is a $275 profit for him, if this is what I think it is. Ellusionist sold a similar device for $29.95 and (apparently) made money on it.

I'm sure that he's been reading here during the last 33 days.

Expect to hear from him soon, now that I said that.

This is why creators don't like coming on here- it gets too hot in the kitchen.
wjkrysak
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta
152 Posts

Profile of wjkrysak
I am patient, with pre-order and would also appreciate an update from someone in the know.
Communication is important customer service. Thanks in advance.
bill
Create memories to enjoy the magic of life.
Tread lightly. Give. cheaha bill
MichaelMann
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of MichaelMann
I spoke to Greg. It's definitely shipping this month. He wished that some of you would calm the !@#$ down! You're dealing with a reputable person, he's not Justin Miller!

MM
Jack Straw
View Profile
Special user
Wichita
870 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
So that's his attitude, right?

Some of us should calm the !@#$ down?

It's our fault, not his, right?

Michael, since you apparently are Greg's mouthpiece now, please explain one thing to me and then I'll shut up.

How did a manufacturing problem occur AFTER the only thing missing was the stickers?

I know that I am only an egg, but I can't figure that one out.

Quote:
On Jul 16, 2016, Gregory Wilson wrote:

As far as shipping, the only thing missing right now are the customized stickers, which are tracked to be here on July 21st and easily shipped out by August 1st.

I'm still betting on no shipment this month.

Something else will come up.

I am a mentalist, after all.

Another prediction:

This thread gets locked soon.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4803 Posts

Profile of RNK
Greg said Mid September on his last post here. So there is no reason for him to come back and give an updatge.

The people here who are whining, did you even order the effect?
jnork
View Profile
Regular user
Jason Christopher
166 Posts

Profile of jnork
Well,

Michael: Seeing as a comment of 'calm the fvck down' didn't directly come from Greg's typing, I'm going to let it slide but I for sure hope that's not his attitude with his customers. If that's the case, I'd like to have my money returned. I don't need the trick. Sure, it's something I'd like but I certainly don't need it at this point in my career. Listen, I treat all my customers with respect as they enable me to do what I love. I have had tough customers and/or customers whom I don't get along with for whatever reason. Guess what, I fire them, and I tell them: "Hey listen, it's not working out between us anymore. No need for you to call me in the future. Best of luck on whoever you find" Done. I'd be hard pressed to give my money to someone who had that attitude toward me. Yes, Greg's reputable. Yes, Greg puts out good products. Yes, Greg delivers. Yes, Greg is not the best at handling the 'product' side of his business.

RNK, I was a pre-order guy. Debated it back and forth a lot BECAUSE it was a pre-order and not ready to ship. Placed the order the day before it shut down. But, RNK, let me see:
1) Looking through Exact Change ... you found there was a delay.
2) Looking through Unleashed ... you found there was a delay.
3) Looking at FreaKey you found there was a delay.
4) Looking at Rubicon there is a delay.
regardless of if it's 10 days or 10 months a delay is a delay. I'm a straight numbers guy. When it's supposed to ship on a certain date and it doesn't , it's a delay. You DON'T see a pattern here? I clearly do. I own all but Unleashed as I love most of Greg's Material. (Didn't see Unleashed fitting my style) Yes, he'll deliver. Yes, it will be good. I'm sure I'll love Rubicon but regardless, leaves a bad taste in one's mouth.

On the Off Beat: I'm not buying the 'too many irons' in the fire and 'this isn't their main job'. I think Greg makes some nice money on magic effects, books, and DVD's. If a creator doesn't take this portion of the business seriously as well, then one shouldn't be doing it. Find someone else to work that part of the business for you. In actuality, the products can end up making WAY MORE in the long run as they live in perpetuity, long after the creator can't perform anymore. He/She can still sell the products. I'm a jack-ass of all trades doing magic, hypnosis, motivational speaking and horse race calling, plus some digital products, information products and consulting. EVERY aspect of my business (I feel) gets the attention that it deserves when a client needs me because I'm a business man. I care about my clients and their happiness regardless of it's a $19.97 ebook or $7500.00 speech. Never know when that $19.97 client decides to call you for a $10K consulting job, right?

Jack: I'm not saying Greg used pre-order money to finance the manufacture of it. Just something that I thought of recently after stopping to think for a moment. Since 'ready aside from stickers' turned into a problem with the manufacture -- just doesn't add up. And yes, if that WAS the case, it should be communicated. Again, let me re-iterate: I'M NOT SAYING GREG USED PRE-ORDER MONEY TO FINANCE THE CONSTRUCTION OF RUBICON. Do I think it happens sometimes? Yep. And remember Jack, it's not the customers who make it too hot in the kitchen, it's the chef telling diners the lobster will be ready at 8 PM and it not getting to the table until 9:15 PM Smile

Jason
Yours in Magic!
Jason
Jack Straw
View Profile
Special user
Wichita
870 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Jnork, I agree with everything you said, including your comments to me.

I'm not saying that he financed Rubicon with pre-order money either.

But I'm sure that he didn't put the money in a trust fund until the product ships.

What really bothers me about the whole thing is how he went from "ready to ship except for the stickers" to "there's a problem with the manufacturing".

How does anyone reconcile those two statements?

It seems impossible to do that, so something doesn't add up.

And there never will be an post here to explain those two contradictory statements.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4803 Posts

Profile of RNK
Jack Straw, Jason and others that are whining, if you actually ordered the effect and can't stand to wait, then there is a simple solution, CANCEL YOUR ORDER. Not a difficult step to do. This preorder business has been talked about and beat to death here. And it's not the creator's fault as he did not make you order and if your not happy with a creator's communication then CANCEL and get a refund. Not hard. Unbelievable how people preorder and KNOW that things happen which will cause delays and have seen and experienced it MANY times but yet still whine and cry. Some of you people really need to just grow up. Not happy then CANCEL! Leave what looks to be a fantastic effect from one of the BEST and BUSIEST performers/creator's in this era to those who have the patience to wait.

Greg knows better to come on here and answer to such nonsense and stupid talk.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Rubicon (176 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15~16~17~18~19..25..30..35..40..43~44~45 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL