The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Rubicon (176 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..14..21..28..35..42..43~44~45 [Next]
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11988 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Another review from FB page....

I have pre-ordered mine long way back at Blackpool. If you see this live, it's a pure miracle. Cleverly designed and absolutely practical. You will be ashamed to get the applause because it really is so easy to do, in comparison with other methods and techniques for similar effects. So all focus on presentation and entertainment. It doesn't get any beter! Greg rules
David Klass
View Profile
Special user
Beckenham, England
905 Posts

Profile of David Klass
Decomposed, could you let us know what the FB page or group is called please?

Thank you
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11988 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Hi David,

Its not a group. Its Gregory Wilson page. On there half way down you see the video for Rubicon and view comments. I am friends with him (along with about 2200 magicians lol).

Anyway, he answered some questions on there and for me, one of the biggest factors is ease of use. I am cube challenged. Here is his latest response:

"MUCH easier than Cube 3. So easy THAT I CAN DO IT and I can't solve a cube!!!"

I have only had Enchanted cube which was gimmicked. At first I thought I really wanted another gimmicked cube albeit, different. Now, I am thinking it may be better to have a speed cube that is not gimmicked if it is EASY to do. I mean watching Greg do it one handed behind the back is incredible. Heck, doing it one handed in front without looking to me is magic. I don't know if it is a special system he has or gimmick applied etc but guess we will all know the answers soon.
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
2773 Posts

Profile of tophatter
So you don't have to know how to solve the cube ? If the cube gets mixed do you have to bring it back to the solved position ?
Thanks,
Jeffrey
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Appears to me that the solve is I gimmicked.

It appears the gimmick is used for the second phase where the cubes match. I'm fairly certain I know what the gimmick is, and it is genius. Greg is devilishly brilliant.
If you enjoy my thoughts on the cafe, please consider donating a coffee at the link.
https://ko-fi.com/madisonhagler
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Daren
So does the package come with the two cubes to perform the matching part of the routine? Or do you need to go out and also buy the cubes?
Ypnoze
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of Ypnoze
In the ad copy it says ut comes with two cubes
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Daren
Ah ok thanks, looks great!!
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11988 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Yes ungimmicked two cubes included. I see what Tophatter is saying. From a cube challenged viewpoint, at this point that is one of the biggest factors for me. I use to have to replace stickers etc for my last gimmick. I am right brained all the way, can act but cannot solve lol.

I see phase 1 being for more people like me. Phase 2 is for anyone and entirely awesome. Even if some of us know how it works, think about what the spectator sees. And how easy or difficult to get in and out of the business....

Greg is a ninja, a chick magnet and pretty much has some things he has guarded now is having a time packing and cracking to get these out the door August 1st.

And now for the biggest question for all (not how the stinking thing works) is will the price really go up on Augusto Uno? Smile
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5649 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On Jul 15, 2016, Decomposed wrote:

Even if some of us know how it works, think about what the spectator sees.

That's it! You said it!! Smile

It is the final effect that matters and NOT how its achieved. Smile

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1792 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Finland was one of the first places Wilson did this on tv. That was years ago and at that time it was just matching routine. Wilson also workshopped on this after his lecture at Helsinki with those 10 or so who attented after lecture sessions. Its clever but what you receive is more on Bob Kohler proline prices than common magic shop prices. Of course 2 quality cubes, carrying box and gaff can easily add up to 80-100$ but knowing exactly what this is I have to say that I was somewhat surprised on the price.

However, in the end it doesn't matter. Name one Wilson product that doesn't deliver... I personally cant. He has put out just workers and knowing that he has worked this easily at least a decade this will be a joy to workers and because of the high price it wont be done by every amateur and hobbyist. I might consider picking this up from Wilson in two weeks when he comes to Finland Smile

Juha-Matti
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5649 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On Jul 15, 2016, korttihai_82 wrote:

Its clever but what you receive is more on Bob Kohler proline prices than common magic shop prices. Of course 2 quality cubes, carrying box and gaff can easily add up to 80-100$ but knowing exactly what this is I have to say that I was somewhat surprised on the price.

. . . . and two days ago this is what I wrote to one of my friends and may I please quote:-

Quote:

I am sure that lot of people are going to be very unhappy to see their hard earned $350 taken away by selling two speed cubes and a (~~ EDITED ~~) gimmick. People are not going to be happy getting a few dollars worth of item.

Also if my thinking is correct, you will soon see this at a fraction of the price on the Chinese magic sites.

Quote:

. . . and because of the high price it wont be done by every amateur and hobbyist.

Rather on the contrary, to avoid rip-offs of their product, it would be better if the creators and distributors learn to keep their prices reasonable and more realistic - The sooner the better. Else they will soon face the might of the great Dragon and their so called highly exclusive product will be in the hands of every amateur and hobbyist (sad but unavoidable true fact). Thus the product will soon loose its exclusivity.

My thoughts please.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2403 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I speculate you are paying for a switching gimmick, not a gimmicked cube, but what do I know
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
By time you read this I will have
1540 Posts

Profile of jaizon
Quote:
On Jul 15, 2016, Xcath1 wrote:
I speculate you are paying for a switching gimmick, not a gimmicked cube, but what do I know

Can you see a switch when he does the one handed solve?
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11988 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
Finland was one of the first places Wilson did this on tv. That was years ago and at that time it was just matching routine. Wilson also workshopped on this after his lecture at Helsinki with those 10 or so who attented after lecture sessions. Its clever but what you receive is more on Bob Kohler proline prices than common magic shop prices. Of course 2 quality cubes, carrying box and gaff can easily add up to 80-100$ but knowing exactly what this is I have to say that I was somewhat surprised on the price.

However, in the end it doesn't matter. Name one Wilson product that doesn't deliver... I personally cant. He has put out just workers and knowing that he has worked this easily at least a decade this will be a joy to workers and because of the high price it wont be done by every amateur and hobbyist. I might consider picking this up from Wilson in two weeks when he comes to Finland Smile

Juha-Matti

Customized premium carrying box......
Smile
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2403 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
No but nor do I see an unedited performance of an audience mixed cube handed back to him and solved. The full performance which has since been made private does not show that either
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2403 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Or a gimmicked cube that's looks mixed but is solved with simple twists. That makes more sense for the money. Hmmm a cube that you mixed behind your back could be gimmicked to only mix certain ways. That could look good. I love the speculation.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11988 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
Or a gimmicked cube that's looks mixed but is solved with simple twists. That makes more sense for the money. Hmmm a cube that you mixed behind your back could be gimmicked to only mix certain ways. That could look good. I love the speculation.

I love the speculation also.... The Café is the best place on the Internut for that. And also the good coffee.
Smile
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11988 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:

I think it was the Enchanted Cube I purchased from Hank Lee years ago. Cant remember cause I lost the instructions and messed up the cube. Anyway it had the 4-5 turns and it was solved. It was gimmicked. It was not a speed cube however and no way to do it one handed or behind the back.

I think its safe to say these are two normal albeit premium speed cubes. Watching the now private video over and over, he must have a nice easy method of doing this since the AD says over and over its super easy and no knowledge of how to solve the cubes is needed. Is it something original? I figure he will give credit to someone who has released or posted the method soon enough. Whatever that part of it is, without a ton of practice, I know there must be something secretive to it or it would not be so easy to do.

All that said, it may be something added to the normal speed cube. Smile
Justin Lewis
View Profile
Special user
965 Posts

Profile of Justin Lewis
The first clip of Greg solving behind his back is the stong moment for me! Very cool stuff
“The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.”- Anonymous
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Rubicon (176 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..14..21..28..35..42..43~44~45 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.47 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL