The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Rubicon (176 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10..17..24..31..34~35~36~37~38..43~44~45 [Next]
Jack Carpenter
View Profile
V.I.P.
158 Posts

Profile of Jack Carpenter
Quote:
On Nov 5, 2016, Decomposed wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 4, 2016, Jack Carpenter wrote:
Here's another variation on my previous post. . .this one is quickly becoming a favorite. . .just a "snap" of the fingers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIuVk9V5epA

Jack, how old are those stickers? Just curious how long stickers last. Thanks

That thing is months old- and I abused it terribly. Keep them clean (no abrasive dirt etc.) and don't drop it as much as I did, it'll last forever. It's best to have a practice cube anyway, and save your nice cubes for performance- you'll have nothing to worry about then. Keep your fingernails short too.

Jack
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11989 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On Nov 5, 2016, Jack Carpenter wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Here's another variation on my previous post. . .this one is quickly becoming a favorite. . .just a "snap" of the fingers:

That thing is months old- and I abused it terribly. Keep them clean (no abrasive dirt etc.) and don't drop it as much as I did, it'll last forever. It's best to have a practice cube anyway, and save your nice cubes for performance- you'll have nothing to worry about then. Keep your fingernails short too.

Jack

Thanks makes sense. I have a ton of cubes but favorites are my tiled Rubiks....
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8258 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Nov 4, 2016, einhorn wrote:
I have not read through any of the 23 pages but have to tell you I received mine this week. Played with it non-stop for two days and performed it in a small show tonight. It is almost not fair to do this to people. It is SO astounding, it's ridiculous.
I searched for years for the right routine for me. Practicality vs Effect etc - I can do the cube (and suggest you learn it as you will need to have that knowledge to get out of a mess when practicing) but even for those that do not know how to solve a cube it is pretty easy to perform.
The 'moment' is actually a non-moment. it is INVISIBLE. Nothing to see. One of the very best purchases I have ever made and now I have it I told Greg to double the price. Greg has clearly worked SO hard to make this the beautiful finished product it is. I am astounded he set it free to make it available for others.
I feel privileged to have one. It is a keeper, worker and a reputation maker. I actually don't have the vocabulary to fully explain how freakin' amazing this is. If you perform shows other than close-up at tables then Rubicon is a no-brainer.

Double the price? Lmao. Are you living in a dream world? Quite frankly I was amazed that anybody paid the pre release price.
James Diamond
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of James Diamond
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2016, Nico Haupt wrote:
So, finally rubicon arrived.

i do it the short way:

i would be dancing like a 12 year old girl before the first date but I do not. the reason is simple. the trailer and the description implicate, that you can take a "spectator mixed cube" and solve it! and after that, as a climax, you show the phase with the total match of the cubes. but that's not true. and I really really do not like it to be conned like that.

now I will re-routine to make rubicon fit in my existing act. but it's different from my planned (based on the trailer) routine.

I think it's just semantics. It's essentially the same thing is it not?

From their point of view they shuffle a cube, you show your cube matches perfectly, and then you solve their cube. What's the issue?
nspikito
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of nspikito
A couple of problems with Rubicon, one minor but another is potentially serious.

The minor flaw is that a couple of the colored stickers don't lie completely flush on their tiles. There seem to be small air bubbles under a couple of them. It's not a big deal because it's unlikely that anyone will notice, and a defective sticker can be replaced.

The other issue is much worse. Yesterday I dropped a cube on a hard floor, and as Greg warned, 3 center tiles popped off. My bad. It took a moment to find them, but I just popped them back into place. I learned my lesson. But it occurred to me that the same might happen when a spectator drops a cube, especially when he's manipulating it behind his back. Talk about being "screwed"! First, it will irreversibly destroy the presentation. Bad enough, but what happens if you can't find the missing tile(s), or if someone steps on a tile and breaks it? Your $350 investment will disappear in an instant. There is a solution. Greg should make replacement tiles available at a cheap cost, or even better, Greg could do with tiles what he did with stickers, that is include some in case they get lost or destroyed.

Spike
Jack Carpenter
View Profile
V.I.P.
158 Posts

Profile of Jack Carpenter
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Jack

Ironically, the Rubik's brand cubes are the least conducive for good work- whether magic or speed cubing. Better brands include Shengshou (Aurora) and Moyu (Sulong) which are not only quieter, smoother operating, and faster, they're also cheaper. If you want a REALLY great cube, try the GANS 356S. Just fantastic, but unfortunately quite expensive.
catweazle
View Profile
Special user
918 Posts

Profile of catweazle
I second that recommendation Jack "GANS 356S. Just fantastic, but unfortunately quite expensive."
best by a mile imo
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4649 Posts

Profile of videoman
My biggest beef with Greg's routine for Rubicon is he always states that the 43 quintillion possible combinations is a million times a million. But a million times a million is actually only a trillion. A very, very tiny number compared to a quintillion. I'm certainly no math whiz but it always bugs me just a tiny bit when he says that.
Why not say it's about 6 times the number of grains of sand on Earth or some other amazing fact.

And if that's my biggest beef I must really like the routine. Smile
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2570 Posts

Profile of Robert M
I think this is great. I remember seeing Keith Barry on a TV show (with Paris Hilton?) doing a trick where the spectator's mixed cube matched his. At the time, I thought this was the greatest Rubik's Cube trick I'd ever seen.

Keith was standing behind a bar - with someone hiding behind it (?). Probably Dan Harlan? I have no idea. All I do know is Greg's version makes it workable in a close-up or stage situation without any help.

You have to be able to solve a cube if you mess it up - which I can't. But, there's no reason to think you'll mess it up. And, you can buy cheap cubes to practice on.

I'm giving this a "10." Even if I never master it, I still think it's a "10."

Robert
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11989 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2016, Jack Carpenter wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Jack

Ironically, the Rubik's brand cubes are the least conducive for good work- whether magic or speed cubing. Better brands include Shengshou (Aurora) and Moyu (Sulong) which are not only quieter, smoother operating, and faster, they're also cheaper. If you want a REALLY great cube, try the GANS 356S. Just fantastic, but unfortunately quite expensive.

I have those also Jack. I don't speed cube....I like mine to have tiles, just personal preference.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11989 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2016, nspikito wrote:
A couple of problems with Rubicon, one minor but another is potentially serious.

The minor flaw is that a couple of the colored stickers don't lie completely flush on their tiles. There seem to be small air bubbles under a couple of them. It's not a big deal because it's unlikely that anyone will notice, and a defective sticker can be replaced.

The other issue is much worse. Yesterday I dropped a cube on a hard floor, and as Greg warned, 3 center tiles popped off. My bad. It took a moment to find them, but I just popped them back into place. I learned my lesson. But it occurred to me that the same might happen when a spectator drops a cube, especially when he's manipulating it behind his back. Talk about being "screwed"! First, it will irreversibly destroy the presentation. Bad enough, but what happens if you can't find the missing tile(s), or if someone steps on a tile and breaks it? Your $350 investment will disappear in an instant. There is a solution. Greg should make replacement tiles available at a cheap cost, or even better, Greg could do with tiles what he did with stickers, that is include some in case they get lost or destroyed.

Spike

I think its probably best to use the tic tack and glue the tiles on there so no problem if they drop it. I just hope its carpet if they do....
Smile Smile Smile
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11989 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2016, Robert M wrote:
I think this is great. I remember seeing Keith Barry on a TV show (with Paris Hilton?) doing a trick where the spectator's mixed cube matched his. At the time, I thought this was the greatest Rubik's Cube trick I'd ever seen.

Keith was standing behind a bar - with someone hiding behind it (?). Probably Dan Harlan? I have no idea. All I do know is Greg's version makes it workable in a close-up or stage situation without any help.

You have to be able to solve a cube if you mess it up - which I can't. But, there's no reason to think you'll mess it up. And, you can buy cheap cubes to practice on.

I'm giving this a "10." Even if I never master it, I still think it's a "10."

Robert

I too saw Keith do this and that is when I fell in love with the cube.
Cartelli
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Cartelli
@videoman

There are 43 quintillion possible positions (in Germany it is Trilion)

look here:
http://b.chrishunt.co/how-many-positions-on-a-rubiks-cube
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4649 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2016, Cartelli wrote:
@videoman

There are 43 quintillion possible positions (in Germany it is Trilion)

look here:
http://b.chrishunt.co/how-many-positions-on-a-rubiks-cube

Yep, I thought that is what I said, if not, it is what I meant.
Not sure it has anything to do with my point though.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11989 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Rubik Cube invented in 1974 by E. Rubik.... Smile
Mike ODonnell
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago
210 Posts

Profile of Mike ODonnell
I must have performed this over 30 times at my weekly gig. Great reactions... One handed solve: https://instagram.com/p/BMfMML7A2QG/
acortest
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of acortest
Spike,
The Rubicon package comes with a container of gray 'Blu-Tack' that you can put a piece inside of each center so if it is dropped, the tiles will not pop out.

Kind regards,
~Tony
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2016, nspikito wrote:

Spike
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4649 Posts

Profile of videoman
A question for all of you cube solvers out there.
Both Steven Brundage's Cube3 DVD and also Cube FX by Karl Hein and John George will teach you how to solve a Rubik's cube.
I presume they are similar but different methods.

Is anyone familiar with both and would recommend one method over another, and why?

Again, I am not referring to the magic segments but the legitimate solving of the cube portion.
Are there any other preferred methods other than those two?
I know many have learned from you tube videos.

I realize it is all pretty subjective but just trying to find out if there is a general consensus of any one over the others before I set out to conquer the cube and become a genuine cube ninja.
Mike ODonnell
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago
210 Posts

Profile of Mike ODonnell
I purchased John George's DVD (after doing research on this subject) and was able to solve the cube without notes after 4-5days. Great teaching, but you have to put in the work. After that, muscle memory takes over. I own cube3, but skipped over the solving portion as I already knew that skill. I will say that Steven Brundage does a great job of explaining moves. You can email John George for his DVD. You probably can't go wrong with any of these...

Mike
theoriginalman
View Profile
Regular user
149 Posts

Profile of theoriginalman
I have both Steven Brundage's Cube3 DVD and also Cube FX by Karl Hein and John George. I preferred the teaching that comes with Cube FX as the teacher is Tyson Mao, he is famous for teaching Will Smith how to solve the cube for his role in "The Pusuit of Happiness". His teaching is pretty straight forward and easy to follow. Steven Brundages is no slouch when it comes to teaching but Mao is a better teacher of solving the cube as Brunddage is better at teacher his Cube 3 effect.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Rubicon (176 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10..17..24..31..34~35~36~37~38..43~44~45 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL