The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Rubicon (176 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10..17..24..31..36~37~38~39~40..43~44~45 [Next]
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11988 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Should get it anytime Sushe....where are you located?
Schaff
View Profile
Regular user
Fargo, ND
133 Posts

Profile of Schaff
Thanks all! Definitely needed to watch 16.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11988 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Greg hopefully will be updating the videos as time permits with tips etc... Smile
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1465 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
I've now had Rubicon for a few weeks and have been working on it a little every day. I'm blown away by how well thought out this is - I'd say it's reasonably easy to do, and the suggestion Greg gives at the end of the performance training video (I think it's video 12) is a good one - though you will need to know how to solve the cube to reset this, should you decide to do this routine. I'm going to try this tomorrow at a walkaround gig and I'm very excited to see how it plays.

I'm a university professor by day and tried it for some of my students and they were absolutely floored. I'm so happy I bought this effect and am very grateful that Greg released it. I think cube magic has become a lot more popular as a result of people like Steven Brundage on AGT and Rubicon is a great way to dip your toes into cube magic without having to be skilled with solving the cube. I love this effect and it's probably the single best piece of magic I've purchased this year.

I've found the following two sites incredibly useful though:
https://www.youcandothecube.com/secret-u......one.aspx - for learning how to ACTUALLY solve the cube
https://rubiks-cube-solver.com/ - for when you just want to know how to get the cube back to it's original state

I know there are other methods out there to solve the cube and may start seriously looking more into them now that I'm more comfortable w/ Rubicon.

One question for those of you already doing this effect: what's a good way to carry around both cubes when doing walkaround? They don't exactly fit in a pocket, and I don't really want to drag the box around.
Logic Defied
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11988 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Nice post Alym, I too am curious bout how to carry this while strolling.

Video 11 has alternate performance if you can solve. I think right now even though I can solve, I will stick with the original though. Smile
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11988 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
"and the suggestion Greg gives at the end of the performance training video (I think it's video 12) is a good one - though you will need to know how to solve the cube to reset this, should you decide to do this routine."

Well I went through and watched video 11 and tried this and you do not need to know how to solve! For those who have this, try it out... its at the 5:15 mark of video 11. I have gotten so use the one hand solve so when I tried solving two hands I mixed it up and did have to solve lol. But, this could be pretty deceptive trying it out this way. I don't now, from my end, it is just as good the original still.

Hope to hear your real world strolling tips Alym....I still have not used this for other then family until next month as I hope as a closer or close to the finish of my show.
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2246 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Hey guys,

So I received this,

I already saw all the training videos.

they seem out of order.

So what is the first step, I mean first video, would it be #16.

don't want to mess up the cube.

Thanks

Alex
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
Severingkong
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Severingkong
Quote:
On Nov 18, 2016, Decomposed wrote:
Nice post Alym, I too am curious bout how to carry this while strolling.

Video 11 has alternate performance if you can solve. I think right now even though I can solve, I will stick with the original though. Smile

I've not purchased rubicon, but there is a good solution for carrying a cube while strolling on "cube cards" - I'm sure this could be used to carry 2 cubes if needed.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11988 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I do not have cube cards but will hopefully find something.

Caution for those having audience members "toss" the cube to you as Greg does. Smile

Lets just say not everyone is a Cy Young winner. You can figure out the rest. Smile
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2246 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Hey guys

Finally I was able to sit down last night and view all 16 videos

I will post my review later on tonight

Alex Alejandro
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1465 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
After performing this several ~15 times on Friday, I can honestly say that it works reasonably well during walkaround. I carried the supplied box with me and it was intriguing enough that people wanted to know what was inside when I arrived at their table.

A few things that I ran into:

1. When having the spectator mix the cube behind their back, at times, when they took it out, it had a very memorable 'side' -- eg 3 white squares in a row, or something equally prominent. My response to this was to get them to hand it to someone else to 'mix it a bit more' to help conceal the method.

2. Agree about not having an audience member toss the cube. I was too scared to do this and didn't do it.

3. The reveal of the first matching side plays awesome, but I wasn't able to get this to 'build' from there to a stronger reaction for each subsequent side...this is something I'll personally need to work on. I've never done a cube routine before, so I'm sure this is something that will develop with more routining.

Overall, this will be going into my permanent repertoire - I like that it's a refreshing change from cards/coins/ropes and it's very relatable for spectators. I will, however, also be learning to solve the cube; I think the first phase described in video 11 will make it will worth it.
Logic Defied
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2246 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Hey guys,

So I didn't order this into way later after the price had already gone up to $350, and I did not get it from Greg.

I bought it from a Café member in MINT condition for $325.00 so I saved $25.00.

I have had a chance to look at all the videos, and practice a bit last week.

Bear in mind, that I have practiced the cube solve from the video, as well as, getting into position.

I have not practiced the invisible move that you do with the gimmick, if you know what I mean.

You get to see Greg performing this at the Magic Castle, which I thought was a nice bonus.

Overall the packaging is great, you get extra stickers, since on mine, 1-2 looks like with some work they will peel off.

You also get a small little phillips head, and putty, and the 2 cubes, and the gimmick.

I do not know how to solve a cube, but within 15 min after I saw Greg explain and explain what not to do, and what you are supposed to do.

I can now solve the cube with one hand without looking, and it took me a total of like 30 min, after seeing the video.

This is not hard to do, and I am in love with the method, because the cube does look like its mixed up.

Next up for me this week, will be practicing the invisible move I talked about earlier, to make that look smooth, and I plan on working on this until it is right.

I believe it is a strong effect in the eyes of a spectator, heck, I showed my wife the demo for Rubicon, and she thought it was really cool, and she loved the effect, and my wife, as most wives are hard critics.

I believe whether you paid the $250, or $350, or something in between, this is an investment, that you will feel proud of, and you enjoy.

Congratulations to Greg Wilson for providing this for us, and if you are hesitating purchasing this, because maybe, either A) you don't think Rubik Cube magic is for you B) Cant solve a Cube, or C) afraid of performing such a routine for fear of failure,

don't be, this routine is easy enough, and if you follow directions, you will be way ahead, and enjoy your investment.

Overall, great product.

Rating

Teaching 8.5/10 Some of the videos are out of order, and I came into this when the new videos were added, but I bet most of you were scratching your heads at some points, before the new videos were added.

Gimmick look, feel, evolution 10/10 Looks and feels great, and everything is where it is supposed to be

Routine 9.5/10 Nothing too knacky to worry about, and easy enough with practice

Moves 9.0/10 There is one move that you need to practice, but it is invsible, and also well mixing up the cube and solving it, and be 7 moves away,

Materials supplied 10/10 You pretty much get everything, and more stickers, and other items, and the box it comes with and the foam house everything snug.

Customer service: 9/10 I never had a problem with Greg or Secret Source, I know some of you did on emails, but I always got a response, and so I cant complain, Greg is just trying to help when he can, if not one of his workers will.

Overall thoughts/impressions: 9.5/10 Great prop to have, easy to do, you will be laughing when practicing and solving it, without looking, you will look like a wizard.

Put in the time, practice, dedication this deserves, and I am sure you will get a lot of use out of it.

I think that if we do a survey out of 10 people, and we ask, this will be the result at least 7/10 people will love it, 2/10 people will think its OK, or because they didn't like some aspect of the method or had some sort of problem, 1/10 will hate it, and sell it off.

Maybe I am wrong, but I believe the consensus is merely positive for this bad boy, and it is a tool to have at your disposal, anytime, anywhere, like Greg states, he has been working this on stage, platform, and more for over 10 years.

Alex Alejandro
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11988 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Nice review dude.... Smile
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11988 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I did this in front of about 35 last night, stunned silence (which is my norm) then applause. Well pleased.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11988 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Plan on closing my mentalism show (that's right mentalism) with Cube 3 moving into Rubicon for closer for first corporate event try out. My friend gave me a mentalism spin for bag solve for Cube 3 which I may or may not use but plan on bag solve with Rubicon solved cube to lead in. See the thread as the norm, has died down as searchers of the holy grail move elsewhere for their next fix. I get it. Another day for another toy. What will be under the Christmas tree etc... But for me, Rubicon is still as fresh as the heat of the July first demo.... Smile
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4803 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Dec 2, 2016, Decomposed wrote:
Plan on closing my mentalism show (that's right mentalism) with Cube 3 moving into Rubicon for closer for first corporate event try out. My friend gave me a mentalism spin for bag solve for Cube 3 which I may or may not use but plan on bag solve with Rubicon solved cube to lead in. See the thread as the norm, has died down as searchers of the holy grail move elsewhere for their next fix. I get it. Another day for another toy. What will be under the Christmas tree etc... But for me, Rubicon is still as fresh as the heat of the July first demo.... Smile

I'm with you G! I'm looking forward to working Rubicon Saturday at a corporate Christmas gig. My first true test with it but I am sure it's going to go over great! It will get a lot of work as I will be there for 5 freakin hours(Ugh!) with about 400 people!!

RNK
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11988 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Dude, that is a long one for sure. Done those before strolling. That should be a great test. How are you going to cart it around with ya? I take it just a cube in each pocket? My gig is for about 50-60 appearing live one show only.
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
1731 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
Wow, this thread has 26 pages of comments. The trick has to be good.
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1646 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Quote:
On Dec 3, 2016, Magic KL wrote:
Wow, this thread has 26 pages of comments. The trick has to be good.

Or delayed
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4803 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Dec 2, 2016, Decomposed wrote:
Dude, that is a long one for sure. Done those before strolling. That should be a great test. How are you going to cart it around with ya? I take it just a cube in each pocket? My gig is for about 50-60 appearing live one show only.

I think I am just going to use the box it came in, take out the foam as Greg suggested so I can put a few other things in to. The gig is in a convention center so I am also going to take my table so I have a "station" to work from at times. Who knows, maybe people will just mosey on over to me and I won't have to move! Lol. Doubt it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Rubicon (176 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10..17..24..31..36~37~38~39~40..43~44~45 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.34 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL