The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Rubicon (176 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8..15..21..27..33..39..43~44~45 [Next]
Justin Lewis
View Profile
Special user
965 Posts

Profile of Justin Lewis
I think I'll buy more cubes at that point! Lol
“The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.”- Anonymous
Justin Lewis
View Profile
Special user
965 Posts

Profile of Justin Lewis
I think this is great but if there is any big solving at any phase I don't think this would be for me.
A good friend puts it this way. " is the juice worth the squeeze"
lol 😉👍🏻
“The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.”- Anonymous
Gregory Wilson
View Profile
V.I.P.
87 Posts

Profile of Gregory Wilson
First, gentlemen, thank you so much for your interest in Rubicon!

I am loving your collective curiosity and speculation as to the method. Brace yourselves now for way too much information as I answer some of your questions and concerns:

No, this is not the Garrett Thomas or Steve Brundage methodology. They both use a thing called, uh, skill.

My one-handed solve requires no complex algorithms or memorization of any kind. So, this should take only hours to learn, NOT MONTHS, allowing time for presentation and female companionship on the side! It's just turn twist, turn twist, turn twist. After the "switch" and a few slight wrist movements, this SUPER SIMPLE "turn twist" maneuver is perfectly concealed -- all hidden in plain sight. For those who think that it's something electronic, you're giving me way too much credit!

Frankly, my suggestion is to look into ALL of the marketed versions to create the quintessential routine with your own signature on it. But, if you want an intellectual and theatrical shortcut, Rubicon is so stupid easy to execute that a cognitively-challenged dunce like me can do it and I CAN'T SOLVE A CUBE!!!

I've mostly overcome the idiot-proof guilt over the years, but it still hurts a little to know that I get so much credit for so little effort. As, Karl Hein puts it: "You look like a genius without being one!" And Garrett Thomas says, "The hardest part is not laughing as you do this!" And someone on the Café, who is familiar with the method, amusingly chimed in, "You'll feel ashamed to accept your applause."

I should also mention that this fits magicians AND mentalists, as the presentational conceit can be magic, coincidence, prediction or psychological influence. For this or other mental routines, I have a line that you're welcome to use: "The best way to predict the future is to persuade it."

Regarding the self-contained gimmick, it is so flawlessly deceptive that you can perform Rubicon close up and surrounded after passing out magnifying glasses! It even comes with a premium performance box for stand-up or close-up. The routine is so strong and versatile that it actually warrants carrying a bulky box that does not fit in your pockets for walkaround. You simply introduce it at the beginning of your set to create curiosity and anticipation by handing it to someone at the outset, as you say: "We'll save this little miracle for the big finish."

Regarding the not-so cheap purchase price, there are numerous reasons and motivations:

1) Keeps it out of the hands of the mere curious and the Johnny Youtubers who just can't help themselves.
2) Been my reputation-making Holy Grail for over ten years.
3) Flawlessly deceptive state-of-the-art gimmick that only recently became available due to the latest in advanced technology.
4) This is your entry into an exclusive and elite club who view Rubicon as an investment and not an expense.
5) Beyond the years of performance time, this took months of arduous planning, preparation and opportunity cost to put on the market.

Mostly what you're paying for is an arduously audience-tested performance piece to instantly add 5-7 minutes to your show. What is that worth to you? When I started doing stand-up magic in 1993, I would have killed to have something like this!!!

The gimmick itself is durable and should last a lifetime, but if it breaks I will honor a replacement warranty for free. And, if Rubicon does not suit your needs in any way, for any reason, I will fully refund every penny -- no questions asked!

As far as shipping, the only thing missing right now are the customized stickers, which are tracked to be here on July 21st and easily shipped out by August 1st. I say customized, by the way, since I chose these particular colors to avoid any trademark/copyright infringement on the patented Rubik's Cube color combination/configuration. I should also mention that the two cubes are also customized from scratch to be the perfect balance of loose and tight. Loose enough to operate smoothly like a speed cube but tight enough to fit the gimmick consistently and effortlessly.

One gentleman on the Café posted that the prices of magic products should be lowered to prevent any knock-offs or copycats. My experience of human nature tells me exactly the opposite, as it doesn't matter how steep or low the price is when the pirates have wickedly deceitful hearts and dollar signs in their eyes.

In closing, I couldn't believe my eyes when I read the brazenly open comments that some magicians will wait for the eventual knockoff version of Rubicon! Honestly and sadly, this is what makes creators (like my friend John Cornelius) want to jealously guard their secrets and not share outside of their circle of trust.

Interesting Side Note: I told myself that I will defiantly not learn how to solve the cube before I put out Rubicon, just so I can honestly advertise that there is no cube-solving skill required. That said, when I get the time in the next few months, I will finally learn to solve it just in case I make a mistake before, during, or after the show. This way, I won't have to take 10 minutes to disassemble and reassemble the cube in my dressing room or a dark alley for full restoration. Plus, there is one additional phase that can be accomplished if you know how to solve a cube legitimately.

Finally, to end any public and private speculation, YES, I am diligently honoring the pre-sale introductory price and unquestionably going to $350 on August 1st.

For those who are still reading, I hope this helps you make an informed buying decision of whether the "juice is worth the squeeze."

If you have any other questions, I'll try to come up for air and keep you posted. Thanks again for your interest and attention!
Justin Lewis
View Profile
Special user
965 Posts

Profile of Justin Lewis
Even more excited. Thanks Gregory!!
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11988 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
WOW. Boy, that was one fine post. Dittos thanks for coming on here Greg and posting more then a couple of lines.

I think this line is worth about half the price of Rubicon:

"For this or other mental routines, I have a line that you're welcome to use: "The best way to predict the future is to persuade it."

I will be reading and reading this all night.

Key points:

Greg honors a refund.

Gimmick is durable and replaceable if needed.

Greg is going to learn how to solve the cube. Darn it, hate to hear that.

One question about the cubes. I take it that if you end up buying regular speed cubes, it looks like the gimmick will not work. Bout the only thing I am thinking right now. Overwelmed a bit to say the least. Smile
Ypnoze
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of Ypnoze
Thank you for taking the time Greg, you never failed me since I started magic and still have my on the spot vhs, the time when as you said it still had hair Smile

I can't agree more that in our industry the price of an effect is not just the costs but also the secret, guarantee of the effect and impact on the audiences, the cost of sharing a creation from you working repertoire and of course more classical costs of time put in the project, marketing, customer service..

In my case I think that 250$ for an effect that can close my show is not expensive at all

I had one question really : can the cube be handed to a spectator after each phase ? Can the spectator freely mix the cube before phase 1 or 2 without having to put it behind their backs? In other words, is it just the way you choose to present it or is it mandatory because they could see something if they look at it while mixing it

Thanks a lot for sharing this and best of luck with the release
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11988 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Good questions Yponeze.

One more, how to maintain the speed cubes to ensure they stay at the right tension for gimmicks?
Justin Lewis
View Profile
Special user
965 Posts

Profile of Justin Lewis
I'll update you guys in a few weeks. I'm
Pretty positive I'm going to love this!

I would say though this is a huge offer from Gregory!
It's a no brainer
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11988 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On Jul 16, 2016, Justin Lewis wrote:
I think I'll buy more cubes at that point! Lol

Your post just made me think of something. Having extra cubes is a good investment. You can do Phase one with any speed cube if I am reading Greg's post correctly! It is just phase two that requires the custom cubes.

Im still on the fence but someone is pulling my shirt sleeve onto the other side lol.
Smile
Justin Lewis
View Profile
Special user
965 Posts

Profile of Justin Lewis
Ha ha do it!!
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10616 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Great post from G Wilson!

I'm feeling more love and the money leaving my hands this week.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
By time you read this I will have
1540 Posts

Profile of jaizon
Yes, Greg, that is a great statement you have made and it has tipped the scales for me.

"I hope this helps you make an informed buying decision of whether the "juice is worth the squeeze." " And by the way, it was I who used that little aphorism (frequently) with Justin. Seems he doesn't want the public association with me. ----------------------------> joke. hahahahahahahahah
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11988 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
For those who are still thinking of solving the cube like GW is going to do soon, I found this on the how to solve a cube step by step thread:

"How to solve the cube Twist the cube with enough force to pop one or two squares off, then carefully pop the rest of the squares off and replace in the correct order. Take delight in telling your friends you solved a rubik using an alternate method.. what can I say? I'm a divergent thinker"
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
700 Posts

Profile of PendletonThe3rd
Kind of bummed that as Greg pointed out, a switch is involved in that one handed move (along with the moves he mentioned). In the intro of the demo, he mentioned you can have a spec mix it up then save it that way...so I figured at the $250/$350 price, more was at play.

Since I already use some cube3 moves, this isn't for me, but it looks great and I wish Greg well on the release!
Gregory Wilson
View Profile
V.I.P.
87 Posts

Profile of Gregory Wilson
It's hard to explain without revealing too much, so the best description of the switch might be a "switchless switch" in that the exact SAME TWO CUBES are in play all along and the secret move happens IMPERCEPTIBLY, yet in plain sight, right under their noses.

In other words, you don't need a a table, a briefcase, or a jacket to do the dirty work. Not that I recommend it, but you can even do Rubicon completely naked. Unfortunately, your misdirection might be a little too strong!

Let me put this way: Rubicon may not be for everyone, but being my own toughest critic for achieving the ultimate method, effect and presentation, Rubicon meets my own demanding criteria in every possible way.

Over-the-top, hard sell, in-your-face infomercial over. Smile
Justin Lewis
View Profile
Special user
965 Posts

Profile of Justin Lewis
I've talked to someone who uses this and he knows me and my abilities or non abilities with cubes and switches lol
He said 100
Percent he highly recommends this to me! I'm in! This is going to be pretty awesome! Great job Greg!
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11988 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I now wished it was released much earlier.
magimark
View Profile
New user
N.J., Las Vegas, now Arizona
14 Posts

Profile of magimark
I was the volunteer at the Magic Castle a few weeks ago for this effect and it blew me away. I was hesitant to buy this, but after reading the posts from Gregory Wilson, I am sold and about to place my order.
Ypnoze
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of Ypnoze
Hi Grah

Any answers to if the spectator can handle the cubes after each phase and of they have to mix it behind the back ?
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11988 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On Jul 16, 2016, Ypnoze wrote:
Hi Grah

Any answers to if the spectator can handle the cubes after each phase and of they have to mix it behind the back ?

I think it is pretty much a must for the spec to mix behind their backs. Which is a non red flag issue since the performer will be doing this as well.

Unsure about the handling though.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Rubicon (176 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8..15..21..27..33..39..43~44~45 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL