The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Rubicon (176 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11..18..24..30..36..42..43~44~45 [Next]
qwerty71
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of qwerty71
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2016, Decomposed wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2016, pegasus wrote:
They will not be able to examine both cubes.


True on that, true on that indeed. But I still don't have a problem with it, be best to have in hands for sets though of course....

Alas! It cannot be handed after the solve, means you do not end up clean for a such a huge price of effect.
Also note in the trailer we do not see all the six sides of cube after it is solved.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8582 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2016, qwerty71 wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2016, Decomposed wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2016, pegasus wrote:
They will not be able to examine both cubes.


True on that, true on that indeed. But I still don't have a problem with it, be best to have in hands for sets though of course....

Alas! It cannot be handed after the solve, means you do not end up clean for a such a huge price of effect.
Also note in the trailer we do not see all the six sides of cube after it is solved.


Indeed but a very nice subtlety takes care of that. And I agree, examination of the cubes is not essential, but you can hand YOUR cube out after if you mess it all up before doing so.
qwerty71
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of qwerty71
Can the effect be performed with a borrowed cube whose stickers looks like the trailer one?
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5649 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On Jul 16, 2016, Gregory Wilson wrote:

As far as shipping, the only thing missing right now are the customized stickers, which are tracked to be here on July 21st and easily shipped out by August 1st. I say customized, by the way, since I chose these particular colors to avoid any trademark/copyright infringement on the patented Rubik's Cube color combination/configuration.


The creator seems to be much concerned and worried about the trademark/copyright infringement, thus trying to make it legal by simply changing the color scheme of the cube . . . . but a Rubik's cube remains a Rubik's cube - Right Smile Smile

It is now quite clear that the colors scheme of the Rubicon cubes are different from the standard cubes available allover. In case one needs replacement stickers, these specially customized color stickers might not be easily available in the open market as they are of nonstandard colors. Hence one is completely dependent on the Rubicon's distributor for getting the stickers (if need be).

Also those spectators who have played with a Rubik's cube, will they not get a feeling when they see that the color combination/scheme isn't one that's on a normal cubes? Won't they think of a gimmick cube because of the change in color scheme form that of a normal cube? We all know that whenever there is a change in shape/size/pattern/color of an already known item that's being used as a prop by the magician, the spectators mind automatically thinks of the word - 'Gimmick' Smile . . . . and hence the spectators might now be more curious to:-

Quote:
On Jul 20, 2016, rosariorose9 wrote:

. . . examine the cubes after they've been 'solved.'


Once again, MY thoughts please. Smile Thank you.

Please continue . . . . Smile

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8582 Posts

Profile of pegasus
I have to say that I've seen so many different colour variations in the UK, alone, that I can't imagine that it would arouse suspicion IMHO. I can't vouch for any other country though.
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
1923 Posts

Profile of Daren
Personally I think some are overthinking this and worrying way too much! If you concentrate on your presentation of this effect and the audience is captivated, they won't even have time to think to themselves, hey I'm sure white should be next blue or whatever, I personally am looking forward to this big time, I can see this being a massive hit, hey if Greg has used this for 10 years this has got to be a great piece/routine, oh one more thing, positive thinking guys, why look into the whys and buts?
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2016, Daren wrote:
Personally I think some are overthinking this and worrying way too much! If you concentrate on your presentation of this effect and the audience is captivated, they won't even have time to think to themselves, hey I'm sure white should be next blue or whatever, I personally am looking forward to this big time, I can see this being a massive hit, hey if Greg has used this for 10 years this has got to be a great piece/routine, oh one more thing, positive thinking guys, why look into the whys and buts?



Agree. Greg is a consummate professional and he does not put out fluff. I am sure this will be good as all Greg's material is! I have never been disappointed with a Gregory Wilson release.

RNK
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8582 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Daren stated "why look into the whys and buts?"

Because of the price, that's why. No one likes to be disappointed.
DVYRCKT
View Profile
New user
L.A./Nashville
71 Posts

Profile of DVYRCKT
I've seen Greg perform this as his closer in the Parlour @ the Magic Castle.

It kill's. Looks great! Not gimmick'y at all. All "moves" if you call it that (wont go any further) look 100% natural. This fried a room full of people.

The cube is tossed in the room. We all mix it up. Ironically it matches the 2nd cube (prediction) perfectly. Multiple sides are shown to match exactly.

Greg says thank you afterwards & shows over.

- Davey
JasonL2112
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of JasonL2112
Regarding the colors, if that is a concern... Wouldn't one assume that you could, on your own, purchase standard colored replacement stickers and apply those? Just because he won't create / ship that way for valid reasons doesn't necessarily mean the end user cannot if that is important for them....?

Quote:
On Jul 20, 2016, Ustaad wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 16, 2016, Gregory Wilson wrote:

As far as shipping, the only thing missing right now are the customized stickers, which are tracked to be here on July 21st and easily shipped out by August 1st. I say customized, by the way, since I chose these particular colors to avoid any trademark/copyright infringement on the patented Rubik's Cube color combination/configuration.


The creator seems to be much concerned and worried about the trademark/copyright infringement, thus trying to make it legal by simply changing the color scheme of the cube . . . . but a Rubik's cube remains a Rubik's cube - Right Smile Smile

It is now quite clear that the colors scheme of the Rubicon cubes are different from the standard cubes available allover. In case one needs replacement stickers, these specially customized color stickers might not be easily available in the open market as they are of nonstandard colors. Hence one is completely dependent on the Rubicon's distributor for getting the stickers (if need be).

Also those spectators who have played with a Rubik's cube, will they not get a feeling when they see that the color combination/scheme isn't one that's on a normal cubes? Won't they think of a gimmick cube because of the change in color scheme form that of a normal cube? We all know that whenever there is a change in shape/size/pattern/color of an already known item that's being used as a prop by the magician, the spectators mind automatically thinks of the word - 'Gimmick' Smile . . . . and hence the spectators might now be more curious to:-

Quote:
On Jul 20, 2016, rosariorose9 wrote:

. . . examine the cubes after they've been 'solved.'


Once again, MY thoughts please. Smile Thank you.

Please continue . . . . Smile

Smile
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3725 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Couldn't help it. Knowing how great Gregory's stuff is...I had to.

Steve
magimark
View Profile
New user
N.J., Las Vegas, now Arizona
14 Posts

Profile of magimark
I was the volunteer for this effect at the castle a few weeks ago. Anyone worried about the color decals, it is nothing noticeable. One doesn't usually sit there with the cube in their hand and say "Wait Greg, I want to look at this cube to make sure it is real." He handed me the cube and said to place it behind my back and mix it up and then give it back to him. When he showed his prediction matched mine, the audience reaction was phenomenal. No body asked to examine the cubes.
After having it performed on me and knowing Greg's reputation, I placed my order. It is the largest investment I have made in my magic career but I feel it will be worth it and as Greg said in an earlier post, he will refund if you are not happy with it. Not sure what else one can ask for.
I always say, magic is an expensive hobby. Many times you are not paying for the materials, you are paying for the secret.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10629 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2016, Ustaad wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 16, 2016, Gregory Wilson wrote:

As far as shipping, the only thing missing right now are the customized stickers, which are tracked to be here on July 21st and easily shipped out by August 1st. I say customized, by the way, since I chose these particular colors to avoid any trademark/copyright infringement on the patented Rubik's Cube color combination/configuration.


The creator seems to be much concerned and worried about the trademark/copyright infringement, thus trying to make it legal by simply changing the color scheme of the cube . . . . but a Rubik's cube remains a Rubik's cube - Right Smile Smile

It is now quite clear that the colors scheme of the Rubicon cubes are different from the standard cubes available allover. In case one needs replacement stickers, these specially customized color stickers might not be easily available in the open market as they are of nonstandard colors. Hence one is completely dependent on the Rubicon's distributor for getting the stickers (if need be).

Also those spectators who have played with a Rubik's cube, will they not get a feeling when they see that the color combination/scheme isn't one that's on a normal cubes? Won't they think of a gimmick cube because of the change in color scheme form that of a normal cube? We all know that whenever there is a change in shape/size/pattern/color of an already known item that's being used as a prop by the magician, the spectators mind automatically thinks of the word - 'Gimmick' Smile . . . . and hence the spectators might now be more curious to:-

Quote:
On Jul 20, 2016, rosariorose9 wrote:

. . . examine the cubes after they've been 'solved.'


Once again, MY thoughts please. Smile Thank you.

Please continue . . . . Smile

Smile


Great points all.

I do wish the colors were the same as a regular cube.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12001 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2016, JasonL2112 wrote:
Regarding the colors, if that is a concern... Wouldn't one assume that you could, on your own, purchase standard colored replacement stickers and apply those? Just because he won't create / ship that way for valid reasons doesn't necessarily mean the end user cannot if that is important for them....?

Quote:
On Jul 20, 2016, Ustaad wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 16, 2016, Gregory Wilson wrote:

As far as shipping, the only thing missing right now are the customized stickers, which are tracked to be here on July 21st and easily shipped out by August 1st. I say customized, by the way, since I chose these particular colors to avoid any trademark/copyright infringement on the patented Rubik's Cube color combination/configuration.


The creator seems to be much concerned and worried about the trademark/copyright infringement, thus trying to make it legal by simply changing the color scheme of the cube . . . . but a Rubik's cube remains a Rubik's cube - Right Smile Smile

It is now quite clear that the colors scheme of the Rubicon cubes are different from the standard cubes available allover. In case one needs replacement stickers, these specially customized color stickers might not be easily available in the open market as they are of nonstandard colors. Hence one is completely dependent on the Rubicon's distributor for getting the stickers (if need be).

Also those spectators who have played with a Rubik's cube, will they not get a feeling when they see that the color combination/scheme isn't one that's on a normal cubes? Won't they think of a gimmick cube because of the change in color scheme form that of a normal cube? We all know that whenever there is a change in shape/size/pattern/color of an already known item that's being used as a prop by the magician, the spectators mind automatically thinks of the word - 'Gimmick' Smile . . . . and hence the spectators might now be more curious to:-

Quote:
On Jul 20, 2016, rosariorose9 wrote:

. . . examine the cubes after they've been 'solved.'


Once again, MY thoughts please. Smile Thank you.

Please continue . . . . Smile

Smile



The stickers can be purchased however I believe they will have to match the original stickers it comes with. I am not a cuber but I believe when you purchase a speed cube, it comes with non Rubic stickers.
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1802 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
The amount of just plainly stupid magicians worries or questions in this thread is insane... Smile Lets take the stickers as an example. Everyone who asked about em; write what six colors are in original rubic's cube AND DO THAT WITHOUT GOOGLE! I bet none of you will get it right... That said Rubics cube is one of the most pirated "toys" in the world and you can find it in variety of colors from most dollar stores since they don't want to break copyright either openly. But it just shows there is soo many people in magic today, asking totally wrong questions that should take stamp collecting instead... Smile

Juha-Matti
Legendary Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
The Wizard , The Legend 162,885,947,3659,
1694 Posts

Profile of Legendary Wizard
A cube is a cube , and I agree , the colors are not that important . So long is the standard black body with plain colored stickers , it looks fine . I'm a speedcuber , and I've seen so many variations of funny looking cubes and used them sometimes in my parlor performance , it actually captures more attention but still , nobody questions them because , they know it's just a innocent looking cube , which they're .
" Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one " ...

- Albert Einstein
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5649 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2016, korttihai_82 wrote:

But it just shows there is soo many people in magic today, asking totally wrong questions that should take stamp collecting instead... Smile


I fully agree with your post korttihai_82.

I am an ardent philatelist and that's probably one reason for me being so insane. Smile

I humbly request all to please ignore my post pertaining to the color of the cube. Sorry & let's move on (I got my thrashing Smile ). Thank you all.

Best regards,

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12001 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
No worries UStaad, I tried stamp collecting at one time then moved to comics which btw I still have Amazing Fantasy 15 worth a nice penny (SPiderman first appearance). Some had the same concern and besides, this is all entertainment until the actual arrival of the stickers.....TOMORROW.

Well I got the very first layer done trying to actually solve a cube. If nothing else, this has reignited my love of the 80s boy toy, the infamous CUBE.

Face it, put a little colorful plastic box in any man's hands and it it like being a toddler again.

Yes the original Rube Cube I think has the best colors out there and doubtful Rubic will come after anyone these days for copyright infringements. Heck, I have some dollar bills that have the wrong serial numbers on them for mentalism. Smile


That being said, Greg will not put out anything he has not used successfully. Rest easy my friends. Now time for my world to begin again. Smile Smile
MazingMandy
View Profile
Special user
Has tolerated the trolls here for
676 Posts

Profile of MazingMandy
Quote:
On Jul 19, 2016, pegasus wrote:

Secondly, you've got a lot to learn.
Smile


About what exactly? Expensive mean easy.
MazingMandy
View Profile
Special user
Has tolerated the trolls here for
676 Posts

Profile of MazingMandy
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2016, pegasus wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 19, 2016, nspikito wrote:
Just how self-working is Rubicon? I wouldn't want to spend all that cash and discover that you need Greg Wilson's chops to pull it off. He makes it look easy, but so does a classic pass in the hands of Bill Malone or Aaron Fisher.

Spike


Agreed Spike, however, at the asking price I would assume it's virtually self-working.



Again, why? Why on earth?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Rubicon (176 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11..18..24..30..36..42..43~44~45 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL