The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Rubicon (176 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..24~25~26~27~28..32..35..38..41..43~44~45 [Next]
Jimso
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Jimso
There is a plausible explanation for both the delay and the lack of communication. I suspect that Greg was surprised and overwhelmed by the size of the demand. Usually, such expensive tricks might sell a couple of hundred at most, but we can see from the order numbers posted here that more than 500 have been pre-ordered, even before there are any reviews. But that also increases the pressure on making sure that everything is perfect. If the instruction video was not up to his standards, it is perfectly logical that he would want to fix it before sending out many units. After all, a few more days of delay will soon be forgiven forgotten if the product is good, but any disappointment in the delivered product would haunt him forever. I am eager too, but let's cut Greg a little slack so that he can ensure that we love what we eventually get.
toberman
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of toberman
Quote:
On Oct 25, 2016, JackMagic wrote:
Not Good 4 months ago was almost about to send apart from the stickers now we find out the video instructions have not even been shot

That's not true. The video was shot and is available now. Greg is shooting an additional video to clarify some of the moves.
Magicalos
View Profile
Veteran user
366 Posts

Profile of Magicalos
Sorry guys these forums suck! cant edit my post cause someone replied to it(even thought they didn't...yet)....note to Steve....update your backend with a proper forum(phpBB?) we don't live in the early 90's Geocities era anymore. anyways....

not really sure where this goes? but I had already typed this out and replied to the person that asked for the review...

not really sure how to review this, given the nature of the effect but here goes:

Effect Name: Voodoo Puppet Puncture

Effect Type: Needle through hand

If anyone has seen Brian Brushwood's Penguin Live Lecture you might remember this little gem, if not check it out for sure. He doesn't go into an explanation for the method during his lecture so you really get a performance only however this lecture is good if you are into other 'shock' magic (I am not into the shock magic stuff very much but I knew I could find a place for this in my always evolving list of effects for a stage show set.

Michael creates a beautiful hand crafted item especially for you. The care and detail put into this is top notch. The construction is crafted by an expert with very good materials. This review is kind of hard for me as this doesn't come with any routine. You are just getting a puppet made by a MASTER puppeteer. Each puppet that Michael creates by hand is a one of a kind. He will walk through every step of the creation with you, to create a one of a kind puppet. This is not a cheap effect, but in my opinion you are definitely getting what you pay for. As there is no routine for this effect shipped with the puppet, this review isn't like most. I am really just really reviewing a custom made puppet and the process I kind of went through to get it.

The order process kind of goes like this, you send him an outline of your arm/hand and he will create a template based off that to create the puppet with. Michael uses excellent fabric choices and the accents for the hands and hair make the puppet stand out. The evil 'face' of the puppet is my favorite part, this thing looks pretty creepy but in a 'Tim Burton' way. Even the teeth and eyes are made from wooden materials and really make the puppet have depth instead of something being drawn/painted on. Allow him a few weeks to create your vision, then he mails it and provides tracking so it couldn't be any easier. I'm extremely happy with my purchase I would recommend anyone that likes offbeat type tricks to consider this! Michael really hits one out of the park (Go TRIBE!!!!) from start to finish he truly is a MASTER of puppets Smile Let me know if you guys have any other questions and I will try my best to answer them.
GAMJoker
View Profile
Loyal user
Bad language skills confirmed in
223 Posts

Profile of GAMJoker
The links of the full performances doesn't work anymore. Does anyone have a new link or new performance? Smile
On The Offbeat
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of On The Offbeat
Quote:
On Oct 25, 2016, Jimso wrote:
There is a plausible explanation for both the delay and the lack of communication. I suspect that Greg was surprised and overwhelmed by the size of the demand. Usually, such expensive tricks might sell a couple of hundred at most, but we can see from the order numbers posted here that more than 500 have been pre-ordered, even before there are any reviews. But that also increases the pressure on making sure that everything is perfect. If the instruction video was not up to his standards, it is perfectly logical that he would want to fix it before sending out many units. After all, a few more days of delay will soon be forgiven forgotten if the product is good, but any disappointment in the delivered product would haunt him forever. I am eager too, but let's cut Greg a little slack so that he can ensure that we love what we eventually get.

I'm all for cutting Greg some slack but there are so many inaccuracies in this post that I had to respond.

First, Greg has mentioned a couple reasons for the delay but being overwhelmed is not the major reason from what he has said.

Secondly, being overwhelmed is totally not a valid excuse for lack of communication. Not communicating is a choice, not something that is out of your control.

Third, we have no idea what the order numbers mean in relation to sales. We don't know that they are in sequential order or started with number 1. But even if they are it doesn't mean they that they are confined strictly to Rubicon and don't apply to ALL products purchased from the site. That could be total orders from when the site first went online. We simply don't know.

Fourth, Greg claimed orders were shipping or had shipped long before he was apparently aware that there was a section missing from the instructional video. Before the problem was discovered all orders had supposedly shipped.

But I do agree that when you state that the reason for the delay was in order to make sure things are absolutely perfect then that does put more pressure on you to deliver a product that is perfect, and I still don't mind waiting a bit longer. But if it stretches into a few more weeks then many folks are going to be upset. Not from having to wait but from feeling like they haven't been treated properly.
On The Offbeat
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of On The Offbeat
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2016, Stevethomas wrote:
I communicated with Greg and he's working to shoot some more video to include the missing moves.

Steve

Since the video is a download and not a DVD, adding a segment is no big deal besides the hassle of having to shoot and edit it, but I am curious how you were able to communicate with Greg so quickly.
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
1855 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Since my company blocks the supplied tutorial website (probably because of the name), and my iphone won't play the videos...is there any other way to access the tutorials? Perhaps an alternate website address? Probably should ask Greg this question, I suppose
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
1855 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Quote:
On Oct 25, 2016, dooblehorn wrote:
Since my company blocks the supplied tutorial website (probably because of the name), and my iphone won't play the videos...is there any other way to access the tutorials? Perhaps an alternate website address? Probably should ask Greg this question, I suppose

Well, suddenly and mysteriously, the videos now automagically work on my iphone...very weird!
catweazle
View Profile
Special user
918 Posts

Profile of catweazle
Now that's magic! Smile
see, it is real after all Smile
Jack Carpenter
View Profile
V.I.P.
158 Posts

Profile of Jack Carpenter
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3730 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I emailed him.
Chris Jones
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of Chris Jones
In fairness, it's called Rubicon, there were clues.
QuailCreek
View Profile
Veteran user
McKenna, WA
387 Posts

Profile of QuailCreek
Regards,
Silverthorne
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11988 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On Oct 25, 2016, QuailCreek wrote:
Anybody else see this?

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=76

Wow, what the heck?!
mistervader
View Profile
New user
Manila
19 Posts

Profile of mistervader
Just got mine, and it's beautiful. Just having a bit of trouble with setting up the initial cube for the one-handed solve, as I couldn't quite find the instructions for that, and I have a spatial cognition impairment that keeps me from understanding it easily enough.

Nonetheless, I like what I have so far, and will be using this in my shows once I figure out this little hitch.
- Kel Fabie
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2246 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Just bought the one that was offered for sale. quick thinking.

Alex Alejandro
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5649 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On Oct 26, 2016, BMWGuy wrote:

In spite of taking a late purchase decision, your quick thinking of grabbing the one on sale in MINT Condition puts you far ahead of the rest who pre/post ordered long back and are still waiting for the package to show up in post. You are a very lucky man. Smile

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4598 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Oct 26, 2016, Ustaad wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 26, 2016, BMWGuy wrote:

In spite of taking a late purchase decision, your quick thinking of grabbing the one on sale in MINT Condition puts you far ahead of the rest who pre/post ordered long back and are still waiting for the package to show up in post. You are a very lucky man. Smile

Smile

But it's basically the equivalent of him paying $50 extra for expedited shipping, and he may or may not receive it before the bulk of the pre-orders are received (although I would bet he will.) Smile
But all in all I'm sure he'll love it and be happy to have it so I think it was a good move by him.

Can't recall this happening before quite like this. When there is one for sale on the Café before most have even received theirs. But then this whole Rubicon experience has been pretty strange.
solidoak
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of solidoak
Just got mine! Hope to get some time to check it out seriously today.

Now maybe this forum will be worth looking at again.
Nico Haupt
View Profile
New user
Leipzig/Germany
12 Posts

Profile of Nico Haupt
Ustaad, whats the problem? why the lament?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Rubicon (176 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..24~25~26~27~28..32..35..38..41..43~44~45 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.54 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL