The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Magic Master Summit (18 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11~12~13 [Next]
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
Per Wikipedia, the dot.com bust was between 1999-2001, and the housing bubble bust was between 2007-2009.

Maybe it was inevitable, but I tend to think that his massive loss of wealth during these time periods was at least a contributing factor in the way things changed in Branson and Las Vegas.

Gerry
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Not even close.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2016, Gerry Walkowski wrote:
Maybe it was inevitable, but I tend to think that his massive loss of wealth during these time periods was at least a contributing factor in the way things changed in Branson and Las Vegas.

Gerry

While perhaps coincidental, I don't think they are at all related. God, patriotism, veterans and country music was and remains as strong as ever, which is what Branson is all about. The dot com and housing dump I don't believed had that much of an affect on any of these or Branson as much as perhaps other places. Vegas was strong throughout this. Sure it took a bit of a hit from lower to mid-American tourists, but many things continued to thrive and raise in price and growth remained during this time. The celebrity chef and world-premium restaurants STARTED in Vegas during these times. The nightclub boom in Vegas started during this time, and the crazy dayclubs/pool scene also started during this time. Some of these making $1,000,000 a day!

The problem with Branson was it was built on an unstable foundation. After the t.v. news story that solely created the instant boom, it's growth was based on a generation of performers who put up their own money for their own theaters. Fans came to them in their theaters rather than the performer having to go on and work the road. This was the foundation. They made a killing in a few short years, and when they decided to retire from performing they left town. When they and their money left town so did the boom. This business model and foundation no longer exists. All that remains are some of the original families that have performed there since the 60's and 70's and a handful of otherwise unknowns that have become Branson-area favorites. But even they are having the same struggles, even if they own their own theaters.

A new business model combined with a new generation is what it needs to prevail. The problem is it is an area that would rather sink than change.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I agree and was about to say the real problem is, you can’t expect yesterdays headliners to be headliners forever.
I have nothing against the older performers, I love em all, but their fan base is growing smaller by the day.

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Not the problem Tom.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Pigeon Forge is an interesting area to watch... I've seen many shows come and go. Most of the shows are run be either "Dolly" (aka Herschend Entertainment who owns Silver Dollar City), who have the Dixie Stampede and a Lumberjack Show; or Fee Hedrick Entertainment. Fee Hedrick has the Comedy Barn, Black Bear Jamboree, Opry Theatre. The Opry Theatre has the "Opry" show, very Branson-like music and variety production, and Darren Romeo. Darren is in the middle of a 3 year stay. I'm not sure about Darren's deal with Fee Hedrick... they advertise the show under their brand "Magic Beyond Belief" (Which they have used in previous years with other magicians) but that doesn't mean it's not a 2-wall type of deal... but I'm pretty sure it's not a straight up 4-wall from Darren.

The only other major theatre is Country Tonight... they run a Branson style Country Music show as well. A few other smaller venues... Terry Evanswood has been there for years, 4-walling in a variety of venues, and even doing the "Magic Beyond Belief" deal for a while with Fee Hedrick. He's currently at Wonderworks in a pretty small theatre... I'm guessing he is 4-walling but again, not sure.

Not trying to make any specific point.. just throwing out some observations from the past few years of watching another touristy town with some theatre shows.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
There are 2 families that run Pigeon Forge almost literally. It is an interesting market.

You are not wrong about what you are saying.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Hugo
View Profile
New user
Texas
46 Posts

Profile of Hugo
I'm sorry to say that I must retire from this thread, as some of my posts have 'mysteriously' disappeared. ...Not sure why...? Somewhat ironic since I recently hired a magician who contacted me via pm in direct response to my posts here in this thread.

It all seems rather counter-productive to me. But, alas, much of the magic business is.

At any rate, thanks for your conversation. I hope we meet through serendipitous circumstances in the future!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Why would anything you wrote be deleted? It was amazing information!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2016, Dannydoyle wrote:
Why would anything you wrote be deleted? It was amazing information!

Yeah, I am disappointed to as I was looking forward to your (Hugo's) thoughts after your visit to Branson.

I guess I do understand why the original post got deleted as it was a duplicate post (also posted elsewhere on the Café) and wasn't really in the proper forum here. Nonetheless, I enjoyed having a conversation with another industry professional and getting below the surface as it pertains to entertainment business and your area of specialty. I know it was interesting to many. It was also nice not to have it disrupted and derailed by others with nothing to contribute or an agenda.

I think it would be great for you to still join in here every once in a while, especially to hear how this Reza event ends up. Your insight was much appreciated.
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
I was wondering how this thread got so far off topic, yes it has been good conversation but maybe it would be more appropriate to start a new thread on the topic of doing show in Branson, or doing shows in old restored vaudeville theaters, etc
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Why? It was and still is all part of the much discussed 2/4 wall podcast topic several were responding to and felt was a highlight from the Magic Master Summit. I don't believe it got off topic but rather finally a deeper discussion of something here.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
So how did the Texas shows go with Reza at Hugo's venue?
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
The 2017 dates (and speakers) have been announced, and people can watch certain lectures on certain dates for free.

Then after the event, online access will be available for a fee, as they did last year. I think they also sold a DVD set after the event last year, as well.

November 13-17, 2017 - Magic Master Summit 2017 (Free Online Magic Convention)

www.magicmastersummit.com

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Further information on the 2017 event:

Quote:
David DaVinci (aka David Womach):

Starting November 13, 2017 you will have FREE access to roughly six lectures each day. At 9AM EST it'll go live and you'll have 24 hours to watch those lectures, until it refreshes the next morning at 9AM EST with a completely new list of 6 lectures... and so on until the week is over. I'm quite frankly overwhelmed with the amazing content that my friends are giving away, and I hope you'll enjoy it, and benefit from it as much as I have.

Here's a sneak peak at the schedule!

November 13, 2017 - Day 1:
• Jeff McBride - Pack Small Play Anywhere!
• Michael Finney - Behind The Scenes Of A One-Man-Show
• Michael Trixx - Six Figure Income From $150 Shows!
• Jessica Jane Peterson - Secrets to Success in Entertainment
• Chris Randall - Overcoming Addictions To Achieve Higher Success

November 14, 2017 - Day 2:
• Garry Carson - How to Make $500,000 Per Year, Doing Fund Raising Shows!
• William Rader - Secrets to Making $1,000 In The Back Room of Restaurants
• Zach Zimmerman - Being Funny Onstage, Even If You're Not
• CustomMagicKits.com - Back Of Room Sales
• Eric Bedard - Secrets to Getting Booked To Entertain Celebrities!
• Murray SawChuck - Bonus Lecture!
• Jeff McBride Bonus Lecture - Bonus Lecture On Competitions

November 15, 2017 - Day 3:
• Tony Clark - Insider Secrets To The Business of Entertainment
• Greg Gleason - The Art of Touring Behind The Curtain Details
• Bill Gladwell - 2-Walling Secrets • 2.0 Troubleshooting
• Robert Kalina - How To Be The Act That Producers Look For
• Michael Stedman - FanCraft 2.0 To Grow Your Social Media
• Michael Trixx Bonus Lecture

November 16, 2017 - Day 4:
• Bizzaro - Creating Unique Masterpieces To Fit Your Character
• Lefty - Details, Direction, and Professionalism
• Chance Wolf - Turning Ordinary Tricks Into Miracles
• Andy Amyx - Photographing Magic & Putting Out Products
• Lauren Phillips - Production and Stage Managing For All Styles of Acts
• Garry Carson Bonus Lecture

November 17, 2017 - Day 5:
• Tobias Beckwith - Building and Managing Your Entertainment Business
• Niels Duinker - Brand Consistency To Better Serve Your Market
• Fielding West - Stagecraft 101
• Trevor and Lorena Watters - Working And Traveling As A Couple and Duo Act
• David DaVinci - How to Get $50,000 Worth of Free Publicity
• Andy Amyx Bonus Lecture

$1,000.00 Grand Prize Contest Update:
Don't forget to check your email after completing registration for some important information about the contest!

There are SO many amazing lectures coming up, so make sure you block your calendars, and get ready to boost your career!

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me. I look forward to serving you all!

Warmest Regards,
David DaVinci

Reminder - You have to register to get access.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
453 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
Thanks for posting this here! You mentioned that after the event it's free, but I just want to clarify. The event is free during the week of Nov 13-17 only. Afterwards it can be purchased (to help recoup the cost of putting it together and hosting it).

There are some amazing lectures this year, and I'm not just trying to hype it up! I'm really excited! See you all there!
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Best of luck for this year's event. I hope it works out well for you Dave.
Oscar999
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of Oscar999
Last year was awesome. I suspect this year will be just as good. I've already marked off the ones I want to check out!

Oscar
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
453 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
Thanks Oscar! Looking forward to having you be part of this year's event!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I am sure it looks to be as good, if not better then last years Summit. These are a must learn for anyone seriously interested in performing.

I do not see anything in he way of using music, and where to obtain and how to use music in an act to elevate it to a more professional level.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Magic Master Summit (18 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11~12~13 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL