The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Other animals (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Kameron Messmer
View Profile
Special user
Billings, MT
742 Posts

Profile of Kameron Messmer
Does anyone else use any other animals besides doves and rabbits? I use goldfish and rabbits and was thinking about using fancy mice in my show. Maybe another small rodent... I have my own party place so I wouldn't bring them for traveling shows. Just wondering what else people used as far as live animals go...
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Guinea pigs, snakes, dogs, cats, Lions, Tigers, Mountain Lions.
Kameron Messmer
View Profile
Special user
Billings, MT
742 Posts

Profile of Kameron Messmer
Quote:
On Jul 13, 2016, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Guinea pigs, snakes, dogs, cats, Lions, Tigers, Mountain Lions.

You use all those in your show??
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
I used a hamster once. It bit me.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Kameron, I took your question as being general and not looking for specifics. Bill responded with animals that others have used. He left out ducks, elephants, horses, chickens, parakeets, parrots and macaws. I think the bottom line is that just about any animal can be used. It's just up to your imagination and common sense.
Where the magic begins
jcmagicman
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of jcmagicman
There's a magician that uses an armadillo in his act.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
What's his name
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I think he means the late Parker Swan.

Parker did some great stuff. He was also a "character"! If I remember, at the end of his lecture, he announced that his notes were FREE! Jay Marshall rushed up, and was handed an 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of peper with "musical notes" on it!

His lecture was titled: 'How to Force a Watermelon". (The "big" trick was "finding a card in an impossible location" (a WATERMELON) After the mess of digging into the watermelon, the spectator was given the pieces of watermelon, as a souvenir!

He also had a gag about an armadillo. He had found a stuffed armadillo in a tourist souvenir shop in the Carribean. The armadillo was a "stuffed" dead little beast that had its head "biting its tail". the tail made a crude handle for the body which looked a bit like a basket.

Parker exhibited the "basket" and, described how he planned to get a live armadillo and teach it to hold its tail in its mouth. On cue, the armadillo would let go of its tail, and "come alive". I don't think that he ever found a live armadillo that was either "teachable or trainable"!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Jul 14, 2016, Dave Scribner wrote:
Kameron, I took your question as being general and not looking for specifics. Bill responded with animals that others have used. He left out ducks, elephants, horses, chickens, parakeets, parrots and macaws. I think the bottom line is that just about any animal can be used. It's just up to your imagination and common sense.

There's a great and funny story about Harry Blackstone (pere) and the DISAPPEARING HORSE! (I wasn't there! George Boston tells about it in his "Inside Magic".)

The horse was led onstage, and, just before he was led into the huge cabinet, the horse did what horses "do", naturally! Someone in the balcony shouted: "OK, Mr magician! Make THAT disappear!" George didn't record what Blackstone said!!!

Circus elephant are "trained" to do "THAT", in the back yard, just before entering the big top for their act. I caught an indoor circus, about 30 years ago in North Dakota. The show was playing in an Armory, on a concrete floor. The young guy, who was the elephant groom, was a "First 'o' May". He had WATERED THE ELEPHANTS (all three of them) BEFORE the show. Just as the act began, one of the "girls" had an "urge". She answered the call of nature! Elephants are social animals! The other two, suddenly had similar "urges"! The circus ring "became" an effective dam!

The performer "working" the act, was ankle deep. Fortunately,the elephant act was the show closer. Following THAT, would have been like TRYING to follow "Garray & Tomio"!!!

I never fed my doves BEFORE the show! (I had a line, if anything "happened" during the act!)
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
I wonder if anyone has used bears
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Quote:
On Jul 17, 2016, Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse wrote:
I wonder if anyone has used bears

Hey Dick, I'll leave this one up to you. You've been in this business a little longer than I have. I can't believe the question was even asked. Maybe we could start using alligators, whales and sea lions. Maybe if we could catch him, we could use big foot. I think he could be classified as an animal LOL

No offense Kyoki. This just seemed to be way out there.
Where the magic begins
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
IIRC!!! Harry Blackstone Senior, once used a BEAR (costume) in the closing "double exchange" illusion, that was usually titled "Who wears the whiskers?" in the printed program.

I saw the show a half dozen times in the '40s, and, sometimes it's hard to remember all of the details.

I know that Mr. B. produced a live GOAT in the '30s. I have a photo from one of the souvenir programs. It was the opening trick. Harry showed a big foulard. (In the picture it must 6' square!) He held it in front of himself, It touched the floor. Then, he whipped it away, and the goat was standing there!

BTW...it was a b-dy load. No! It wasn't an invsbl harness!
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
Hrmnn....just acquired a corn snake and have been pondering ways to humanely include him in the act.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Now you can do the Serpentine Silk, WITHOUT A SILK!
Rook
View Profile
Special user
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
Quote:
On Jul 18, 2016, Dick Oslund wrote:
Now you can do the Serpentine Silk, WITHOUT A SILK!

LOL, I'll have to work that one out!

-Roald Dahl
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
It would be a REELly good trick!
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Quote:
On Jul 18, 2016, Rook wrote:
Hrmnn....just acquired a corn snake and have been pondering ways to humanely include him in the act.

I have used snakes in my shows for years. Every one of my kids shows has at least one snake in it. I use both corn snakes and ball pythons as they are the prefect sides for dove pans, circus wagons, duck buckets, etc.

I also use hissing cockroaches, emperor scorpions, tarantulas, and giant millipedes in my programs at various times.

I love them all and they are much easier to travel with than dives and rabbits in my experience.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
As a teenager, working in a carnie side show, I did magic, fire eating, and also "lectured on" the big python (about 12 feet). I would have needed a wash tub size dove pan!

I just remembered a magician in California who produced a "handful" of LIVE RATTLESNAKES from a dove pan. He closed the act with that! When the local magic club did a public show, Al always CLOSED THE SHOW. NOBODY could follow him!

His name was Al, and, I can't remember his last name. He was on the cover of GENII in the early '50s. Ha had been one of Jay Marshall's agents, in the NYC area, when Jay was starting out..I met Al when I was playing schools around Bakersfield, California, in the mid '80s. Maybe someone from that area can tell us his name.

I saw him do the dove pan rattlesnake bit in a ring public show. It was a shocker! I think it would have been hilarious to watch him LOADING the FOUR rattlers in the pan!

He invited me to his home to get better acquainted. He had a "den" in his garage, and, we sat there to visit. When I say "den", I mean it! WE were surrounded by cages full of SNAKES! RATTLERS!, a COBRA, a good sized PYTHON, and, of course, a large cage full of mice.

He said that his rattlers often bit him when he did the trick! He was also a herpetologist who did an educational lecture on his "pets". He had performed a 'ductectomy" on the snakes in the dove pan. They "had" no poison. He said that the little beasts would strike, and he would bleed, but their bite was harmless!

That reminds me...Fran Marshall, had a customer, years ago, who used a dove pan to produce snakes. She had a picture, I think it was in one of the KID STUFF BOOKS. The picture shows the guy with dove pan in hand, and a snake.
Rook
View Profile
Special user
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
Y'know, I think I have an old beat-up dove pan laying around somewhere. I wonder how comfortable Ember would be in it...

-Roald Dahl
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
A large dove pan is perfect for an adult corn snake. I'm using a blizzard corn with dove pan in my show all this summer. Great combination.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Other animals (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL