The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Double face split coin (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Gaijin
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of Gaijin
There are lots of split coins on the market but I am yet to find a simple coin matching these characteristics for my 3 fly routine. Do you know if it exists?

- Morgan or Eisenhower size
- splits in 2 only (because I feel that they are slightly too thick if they split in 3 or more)
- when split, both coins can be shown front and back

I tried the Kennedy coin, I was super unhappy with this one because of the size, then Johhny Wong's STC in Ike size which is way better but still slightly too thick for me and cannot be shown front and back.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2054 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Get any old split coin and stickers for showing the "backs"?
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Special user
974 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
The Eisenhower split coins are harder to find in general.
Stickers are easy to find to add to any split coin, or you could also purchase a double-faced triple coin, and just not use one of the pieces.
Or get two, and have 3 2-split coins.
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3173 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
STC is best bet for your needs. Just use 2 out of 3. Looks good, thickness is accurate and double face no issue
Nothing Personal-Strictly Business
Gaijin
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of Gaijin
Thanks everyone, I will keep sticking with the STC then.
Using 2 out of 3 is a problem because if you use the face to tail coins only, the split reveals the gimmick and if you keep the other ones, you cannot show the coin front and back. Then you need the stickers obviously...
I will keep using the full coin and might peel the stickers off completely to reduce the thickness which is more important for me that showing the split coins front and back.
I am afraid that it would slide less though after doing so or that the resulting additional attraction would make the separation harder.
Has someone already tried it?
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Special user
974 Posts

I'm not sure I understand your complaint.
If you use the face-to-face coins [:], you can show the two sides, and you need to be a little more careful when you do the split. If you use the face-to-tail coins [:[: you're right that you can't show both sides.
But if you had a normal double face split coin (like in your original post), you'd run into the same issue. At least when reducing the triple coin to two you get a choice of which format you want to use!

The stickers will always add a bit of thickness, but it's pretty minimal compared to the thickness of the coin itself - and again, having the double face was part of your original requirement, no?

There are other types of tape you can use that are thinner and add slickness for splitting (do a search for the main DFSTC thread, a lot of people like mouse tape), but it's again some thickness (very minimal), and you still lose the two-sidedness.
Gaijin
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of Gaijin
Ideally, what I would like to buy is two Ike dollars which would stick together and be shown front and back with a total thickness of one coin, with no stickers because the ones that I have for the STC on the Chinese side are not convincing at all because they obviously lack relief. For that same reason, I am hesitant to replace them by Ike stickers.
I understand that the engineering for this coin is more complicated and this is probably the reason why it is not on the market right now but this would be awesome if it would exist...
jmagic
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of jmagic
Send a message to Joe Mogar magicstars@usa.com He will have the coins that will be exactly what you want.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Special user
974 Posts

It sounds like you want two thin magnetic coins. That's definitely doable, but will likely require some custom work. I'm guessing 2/3 thickness of a real coin (each, for a total of 1.5 coins) is more likely.

You might also run into some trouble with the coins sliding on each other (or at least being noisy when they do).

I realize there's also Johnny Wong's Super Power 4 (which Moe Mogar sells in Eisenhower http://joemogar.tripod.com/id37.html), which is two strong split coins that you could use that way - just don't separate them at the split.

Keep us posted - I'm curious what you end up doing and how you like them.
dj
View Profile
Special user
919 Posts

Profile of dj
I can recommend Auke van Dokkum's "Gemini Coins" (soft Morgan Dollars).

dj
Gaijin
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of Gaijin
I am still thinking about this.
A 1.5 coin total thickness is probably thicker than Johnny Wong's STC so it's not ideal.
Super Power 4 looks promising but it does not exist in Eisenhower dollar and I don't know about its thickness either.
Auke's site seems to have disappeared and it's not clear what products he was offering, I didn't research much if he is still in the business of coin making.
Joe Mogar's option seems interesting, I will contact him...
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2156 Posts

Profile of RCP
Quote:
On Jul 16, 2016, tonsofquestions wrote:
Stickers are easy to find to add to any split coin, or you could also purchase a double-faced triple coin, and just not use one of the pieces.

Where do you find your stickers?
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Special user
974 Posts

Super Power 4 *is* available in Eisenhower. Joe lists it on his site. I couldn't find it on any of the standard retailers, but you could still get it, if that's what you want.
There's also a new "Genesis 4" set that I just posted about: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=218
But I haven't seen that in Eisenhowers yet.
Gaijin
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of Gaijin
True, I finally found it on his Johnny Wong page.
I wonder if a 4-split coin can be as think as a normal Ike, this is quite unlikely. I need to contact him and ask if this is the case (even if I doubt it).
Zee
View Profile
Regular user
Leonia, NJ
195 Posts

Profile of Zee
Auke van Dokkum makes Gemini Coins which should be exactly what you are looking for.

Edges can be shown briefly when they are together and spilits into 2 coins which can be shown both sides. You can contact him and ask for Gemini Coins. It is fairly expensive but it can replace "turtle" or "slippery turtle" if you are only trying to do 3 Fly.

However, he is a very busy man, so you might have to wait a while for his response and another few weeks or month for the coins to arrive.

Zee
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5333 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On Jul 25, 2016, RCP wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 16, 2016, tonsofquestions wrote:

Where do you find your stickers?

RCP, there are a few threads from the last couple years that have links for the stickers, however I've only seen them for one dollar coins - no half dollars. Here's one:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=202

Jim
jmagic
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of jmagic
Johnny Wong Stickers are available at joemogar.com
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5333 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On Jul 27, 2016, jmagic wrote:
Johnny Wong Stickers are available at joemogar.com

True, but I'm pretty sure he only sells Chinese coin stickers in various colors.

Jim
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Special user
974 Posts

Question about the Gemini coins, since I'm unfamiliar with them, and he no longer appears to have a site:
What coins do they come in?
About how much do they normally cost?
Is each split same thickness as a normal coin, a split coin, or somewhere in the middle?
It seems like a neat idea, and I'd be interested to find out more.

Thanks!
Zee
View Profile
Regular user
Leonia, NJ
195 Posts

Profile of Zee
I think he makes them only with silver coins but you can ask for any silver coins. They usually cost from $200~$300. Price may vary depends on many elements.
I would say... each coin's thick ness is slightly thinner than normal coins.

You can try to find him on Facebook or something Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Double face split coin (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL