The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Gimme' another drink... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
880 Posts

Profile of sperris
Hey guys, I've had issues with my doves "dropping the kids off at the pool" in their water dishes. I replce their water maybe twice a day, but I feel bad for them when one bird may dirty their water and the rest have to deal with it. So I bought one of those like bunny water bottles where all the water is contained inside the plastic bottle. I'm wondering if anybody else gives their birds water this way, I've seen it done with like cockatiels and doves in pet stores, but how long until they figure it out? I don't want to "train" them adn like force ther beak into the water tunnel. Any input?

sperris
DANSPERRY.COM
amshake
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of amshake
I think I saw in "Encyclopedia of Dove Magic" that they recomend that type of water/feeder for just that same reason.. I would watch them and see what happens.
Magic Geek
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5171 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Dan, usually in feed and grain stores, they sell a livestock waterer. It's simply a plastic bottle turned upside down and screwed into a round dish or tray. You can get different sizes. The water feeds into the tray as required. The birds can't get their backsides close enough to the tray to deposit things. You can also make a cone shaped lid to place on top so they can't sit on the bottle. I used this when I kept my doves in a large aviary in my basement.
Where the magic begins
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2805 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Dave,
That’s a neat idea about making a cone shaped lid to place on top so they can't sit on the bottle. I’m making one soon. Thanks.

And I call myself a dove expert, guess you don't get to old to learn new stuff. lol

Tom Boleware
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5171 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Thanks Tom. It's not my idea though. I learned that tip from Amos Levkovitch. You're never too old to learn.
The cone can be made from stiff cardboard or light poster board.
Where the magic begins
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20522 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Lack of sufficient water is probably the number one killer of magic doves. Doves have to dunk their beaks to get sufficient water. Cage waters for parakeets seldom work well because they are only about half an inch deep. I don't recommend the gravity-ball type water at all for doves. You may keep them alive for a while but their health deteriorates quickly.

Since we keep about a hundred doves on hand all the time, watering is work. However, what we use most are plastic bottles with a hole cut in the side so the bird has to stick his head into the bottle through the hole to drink. Getting on top of the bottle can make a messy bottle but does not dirty the water. Dirty bottles are easily replaced. There is no cash outlay. We try to keep the water about 2” deep. The water should never be less than .75” deep.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Gimme' another drink... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL