The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » To Each his Own (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I am never creative unless I have to be. Most of my creative stuff was forced on me by necessity. I am only creative when it comes to solving problems. If I can get a great routine that works for my character, why would I change it? If I need to do it in the round, need to make it work for different audiences, need to make it longer or shorter, need to make it fit my character, etc., etc.--then I have to become creative. I almost always start with a classic, and just keep solving problems until it is right.

My whole act is really just what happens when you start out doing classic tricks and just keep solving problems over 50 years...
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
If you don't mind, Pop, I'll just agree with you! So! All like he said folks!

Although I had planned carefully before I did my first tour, there were a "few" problems that needed to be handled. And, as Pop just said, "One solves them as they "come up".
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
"Mater artium necessitas" William Horma as I recall.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Quote:
On Aug 1, 2016, tommy wrote:
"Mater artium necessitas" William Horma as I recall.

That pretty much sums it up. And it also explains why so many modern "inventions" are crap.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Jul 31, 2016, Pop Haydn wrote:
I am never creative unless I have to be. Most of my creative stuff was forced on me by necessity. I am only creative when it comes to solving problems. If I can get a great routine that works for my character, why would I change it? If I need to do it in the round, need to make it work for different audiences, need to make it longer or shorter, need to make it fit my character, etc., etc.--then I have to become creative. I almost always start with a classic, and just keep solving problems until it is right.

My whole act is really just what happens when you start out doing classic tricks and just keep solving problems over 50 years...

I think you are selling yourself short. If one subscribes to the theory that there is nothing new under the sun, then everything we do is a creative application of something else. Problem solving is just that. You may be looking at the fine line between art and science.

The NASA engineers that helped bring back Apollo 13 had to use such creativity to essentially put a square peg into a round hole. Taking a classic effect (a known entity), and making it fit your needs (character, time allotment, venue, etc.) is the same.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » To Each his Own (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL