The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Penn & Teller Fool Us Dan Harlan (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Pointyskull
View Profile
New user
Chicago IL
20 Posts

Profile of Pointyskull
Great performance, Dan!
Loved the tweak you added - even if I COMPLETELY did not see it coming.
ursmagicbalu
View Profile
Inner circle
India
1080 Posts

Profile of ursmagicbalu
Dan Harlan Rocks........

You have to see Penn's expression when Dan mentioned the twist
“It’s not what you do that matters, or even how you do it;
it’s what the spectators perceive you as doing that matters.
That’s the MAGIC they’ll remember.”
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Hearing this brings me a great measure of delight! I still use CardToon, and consider it the top card-effect creation of the century.

Even beats out the fabulous "Twilight Angels."

I didn't see the clip, but was wondering if the method is practical enough not only for the P&T gig, but if it's something the rest of us could use on a day to day basis "in the trenches"? Assuming Dan ever decides to release it.

Dan, is that a possibility? If not, then believe me, we fully understand. But never hurts to ask.

Sure would be sweet to be able to do that all the time! (Hand C.T. out for examination, that is). I'll bet a lot of guys are thinking the same thing.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
ursmagicbalu
View Profile
Inner circle
India
1080 Posts

Profile of ursmagicbalu
IMHO, it should not be used on day to day basis
“It’s not what you do that matters, or even how you do it;
it’s what the spectators perceive you as doing that matters.
That’s the MAGIC they’ll remember.”
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2016, daffydoug wrote:

I didn't see the clip, but was wondering if the method is practical enough not only for the P&T gig, but if it's something the rest of us could use on a day to day basis "in the trenches"? Assuming Dan ever decides to release it.

watch the clip. it's all there to see.

s
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Snidini
This has got to be one of the top 10 "gotcha" tricks shown on P&TFU. Great job Dan for getting that "jaw dropping" look on Penn's face. I'm still chuckling over this one.
Giengen
View Profile

0 Posts

Profile of Giengen
Exactly, it's a game show and you take every advantage you can to win. Great job Dan!

Quote:
On Jul 22, 2016, DanHarlan wrote:
So, first of all, no pre-show is allowed, but one could instant-stooge if one wanted to. The reason Penn & Teller were fooled is they ultimately believed I was using the standard, commercially-available "Card-Toon" and everything else I did was a bluff. In the edited version of their comments, you don't get to see me ask them that directly (to which they reply "Yes.") before I sheepishly apologize for fooling them... my favorite moment.

Regarding trick selection, the producers specifically requested I perform "Card-Toon," but I decided to put in the extra work to actually try to fool P&T. Fortunately, it worked exactly as I had hoped. Remember, this is a game show and I played by the rules. So, yes, I took advantage of their preconceived notions... how could I not?
--Harlan
tomd
View Profile
Special user
747 Posts

Profile of tomd
It fooled the pants off of me. Although the intro kinda ruined the suprise
John T. Sheets
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, USA
1105 Posts

Profile of John T. Sheets
Congrats Dan, I really enjoyed it!
www.johnTsheets.com

See the "Quantum Bender 3.0" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkTVw9FjonE

See my Dove Act here... https://youtu.be/Ms7_u46Qpp0

See the "Energy Bender" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpJOfL0k8xA

See the "Table of Death" in Las Vegas trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YivizLAKD7I
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
859 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
Major congrats! I do believe the warning of a twist queued us up a bit. I know and love the original but I am surprised and thrilled that it fooled Penn and Teller. I thought as they were marching up there that the gig was up, but they didn't go to where I thought they should. I just love seeing magicians I have followed for years on their show.
All small town magicians know what 793.8 signifies.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
I have been doing Card-toon and Card-toon 2 for about 13 years now and it never fails to amaze. It is fine as it is no need for this version at all. This is P&T we are talking about here and they were familiar with the trick already. Most who see this never saw or heard of it before and even after being on the show that will still be the case. Even if they see the show they will still have no clue. I don't perform for other magicians usually except at meets, and fooling other magicians does not interest me as they do not write my checks.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
998 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2016, sirbrad wrote:
I have been doing Card-toon and Card-toon 2 for about 13 years now and it never fails to amaze. It is fine as it is no need for this version at all. This is P&T we are talking about here and they were familiar with the trick already. Most who see this never saw or heard of it before and even after being on the show that will still be the case. Even if they see the show they will still have no clue. I don't perform for other magicians usually except at meets, and fooling other magicians does not interest me as they do not write my checks.

In general, you are correct... there would be no need for the version I performed. Specifically however (in this one instance), I felt it absolutely necessary. I'm sure you can understand why.
--Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.themystictower.com
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Kind of an off topic question for you Dan. As far as "winning" what do you get as far as performing. Do you get to just do the same thing you performed on the show up on stage at their show? Do you get a certain amount of time to do whatever you want? Do you get just a one time shot or a whole week? I am just interested in what happens "after the FU show for the winners. We all pretty much know who you are but I wonder when a fairly new name wins, how much of a boost they get (as if fooling P&T isn't enough of a boost to list on your bio Smile ).
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2016, DanHarlan wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2016, sirbrad wrote:

In general, you are correct... there would be no need for the version I performed. Specifically however (in this one instance), I felt it absolutely necessary. I'm sure you can understand why.
--Harlan

In this case you were running when 2 people WERE chasing you!

Generally magicians run when nobody is chasing them.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
998 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Poof-Daddy asked about the prize. By fooling P&T, one is entitled to an all-expenses paid trip to Vegas and a single appearance on their show. You would get a little more time if you want to do a couple of things, but are expected to perform the winning effect.

Regarding publicity, fooling P&T is a nice credit, and appearing in their show is certainly a bonus. Anyone, could parlay those credits into more notoriety, more bookings, higher fees, etc.
--Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.themystictower.com
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Brilliantly done, congratulations Dan Harlan!

I often do CardToon (did it just today again to a classroom of highschool kids). So when I saw you doing it on Fool Us, I had a sick feeling in my stomach, thinking it was such a pity to see such a brilliant modern classic performed without having a chance of fooling Penn & Teller - they were sure to know it.

You fooled them, and you fooled me - and I've rarely felt so glad to have been fooled!
MagicMikeCat
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of MagicMikeCat
People are asking about Dan mentioning "The Twist" in his bio/intro to the trick and how that didn't clue Penn and Teller that something unique was about to happen - when performers go on the show they shoot a bio package during their stay but it is not completed before showtime - so although the people at home saw the intro and Dan mentioning "a twist" the audience nor Penn and Teller would have seen that as that isn't completed until weeks after the performance and added in before airing on TV. Awesome job Dan!
Check out my effect "Mind Card" http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7240
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Agreed!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
MultiSlacker
View Profile
New user
GA
59 Posts

Profile of MultiSlacker
That was a really great performance from Dan. Loved it.
magic in mind
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of magic in mind
Fairly easy to do you do need an assistant to help out a bit.In this case was bones...I do hope that bones gets a good WRITE up.What a card he was.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Penn & Teller Fool Us Dan Harlan (16 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL