The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Stranger Things (31 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
If you're not watching this, you should be. Think 1980's Stephen King meets Steven Spielberg:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4574334

This show is incredibly well-paced, acted, shot, written...just plain good on every level. Don't be fooled...when you start watching you'll feel you've seen everything before and you have. This series pays homage to so many great plots before it, but without sarcasm. It is a culmination of great classic science fiction and horror cliches on purpose, while still remaining fresh. The Duffer brothers used the past greats as building blocks for something just as good...Horror and Sci-Fi gestalt.

Oh, and enjoy the music. It's awesome!
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1815 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
Goonies meets x files, is the way a friend described it to me. Well worth checking out, lots of fun. I hope there is a season 2.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Yep! I'm sure we can expect to see all of those references and more. What I'm amazed by is the acting quality. I never thought anyone could match Spielberg's ability to capture childhood innocence, but this show is doing a really good job at it. Really natural interactions taking place while still keeping a good pace in the action. And the sets, costumes, and props are top-notch. The kids and hairstyles look so awkward, just like I remember living through. And the cars look gritty (but I'm still looking hard to see rust...but see none. Cars back then in most states had a lot of rust. But on movie sets they have collectors bring in their cars, and guess what? They don't have rust. The movie companies dirty them up, but they always forget to add the rust).

So far, so good regarding ratings.
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
Spent all this time on the Cafe' and all I have to show for it is
445 Posts

Profile of friend2cptsolo
I was hooked within watching the first episode. Yeah I agree Wizard the show is well acted and I am not far into the season but can not wait for what is next.
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1626 Posts

Profile of Darkness
He dies in the end...

Just kidding. Its a great series well worth watching for all the above mentioned, it is magical. I only wish "magicians" could act 25% as good.
THE SUPERNATURAL ILLUSIONIST & EFFECTS CREATOR WWW.MRDARKNESS.COM
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Thanks for the heads-up on this. I just finished the first episode and enjoyed it immensely.
FJR
View Profile
Regular user
London
129 Posts

Profile of FJR
Yes, this is very good. Lots to like about it. A lovely idealised version of the 1980s which hits nostalgia buttons for those of us who were children/teens then. As you note, Wizard of Oz, it captures an innocent view of childhood very beautifully, just like the best Spielberg does, and that recent film 'Super 8' did too. Nothing too original about it, but it's a good yarn well told.

I'm personally pleased that the heroes are role-players(!), as I was too (though more a 'Call of Cthulhu' fan as opposed to D&D but I played that too, of course), and that intelligence and friendship/solidarity serves to save the day, not just bravado.

Best,
Francis
Flaneur / Gentleman Amateur
Member of the I.B.M - Ring 25
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
My Daughter did Practical Special Effects on it. We're hoping for new seasons.
If you liked the 'look' of all the weird creepy crud that made up the 'other place'...that was her concept and application.
:-)
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
FJR
View Profile
Regular user
London
129 Posts

Profile of FJR
That's amazing Doug! The other place does indeed look both creepy and magical, like an eerie winter. She certainly has a lot to be very proud of. As do you, of course.

Best,
Francis
Flaneur / Gentleman Amateur
Member of the I.B.M - Ring 25
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Love that Doug.

We just finished the last episode tonight. Outstanding. The kids are wonderful actors, and Winona - in my opinion - has never been better.
Balaram
View Profile
Special user
904 Posts

Profile of Balaram
Congrats Doug, it worked, wonder where she got the inspiration for her creations? Happy to hear Doug and Lori genes were in there!
2 episodes to go-
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2016, Balaram wrote:
Congrats Doug, it worked, wonder where she got the inspiration for her creations? Happy to hear Doug and Lori genes were in there!
2 episodes to go-

True. That apple clearly did not fall far from the tree. And we are all the better for it.
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
445 Posts

Doug give her a high five for the fans out there.
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1815 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
Agreed, many high fives.
ProfessorMagicJMG
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of ProfessorMagicJMG
My 11-yr old son and I binge watched the entire series today; it was amazing. Best thing I've seen on TV in years...much better than many King book adaptations from the same time period. It looked like the creators might have been partially inspired by a little known film from a few years ago called Beyond The Black Rainbow. Many elements from that film were present in Stranger Things...down to the weird synth music and 80s time period. Stranger Things did it much better though, and the Other Place was truly amazing, Doug's daughter did an incredible job with it.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Clarke's 3rd Law

"Any sufficiently primitive technology can mystify a postmodern audience." - JMG's Corollary to Clarke's 3rd Law
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
445 Posts

Just finished the series. I really truely love all the throw back references to the 80's...like the synth music...opening graphics and so on.
What will happen in season 2? Will it be the same cast? same decade? same storyline?
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
The ending certainly hinted that the story line will continue.
jaheath
View Profile
New user
Texas
13 Posts

Profile of jaheath
Makes perfect sense why the wife and I loved this series. Congrats Doug, on raising a talented gem!
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Doug created the Strange Thing, and his daughter was a creator on the Stranger Things.
(I wonder where they got the name of the show from...)

I really enjoyed the show.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
What I know is, Andi (my Daughter) was on the FX team and the producers need a killer look for the 'Upside Down'...they didn't want to use CGI (THANK YOU!!!) and had a small budget to create the world...Andi got an idea and went for it. She came up with a plan and a unique process that she presented by doing a small area...the producers etc. loved it and so she was given the go ahead to dress the set. Once the lighting was directed and they saw the footage they knew they had it. (When they find the kid in the ick you can see it best)
I want to tell HOW she did it and WHAT it was but it was a secret at the time she told me...SO...I'll see if I can get permission to tell y'all what it was she came up with. You'll crack up. Smile Brilliant!!!

I'll pass along your kind words.
Picture is Andi at DragonCon rockin' her ST shirt. Smile

Thanks!!

Click here to view attached image.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Stranger Things (31 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL