The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Cellini DVD - Magic That Can Be Performed Anywhere (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3182 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Cellini - Magic That Can Be Performed Anywhere DVD.

My Rating: Overall 10 out of 10 (If you think this is too generous, see my biases below. But then read the review!)

In the DVDs introduction, Cellini says; "The magic that you are about to see can be done at any time, anyplace. I have used all of this on the street, I have on the stage, and in people's living rooms. Anywhere this magic can be done. what you wont get is difficult moves or hard things to accomplish. Every one of the things you will see is simple to do, beautiful to see and looks like real magic."

Before I start this review, I will admit to two biases that may affect my observations and comments. First, I am a huge Cellini fan. I love his low key presentation of material and his immense knowledge and skill in the art of magic. And secondly, I love effects that don’t cost a lot, don’t require superhuman abilities, and really work for general audiences.

This DVD hits home in favor of both of my biases. It is Jim Cellini, at his best, first elegantly performing these effects and then slowly, patiently explaining a collection of effects that are just as he said in his intro: Simple; beautiful, and look like real magic.

The DVD jacket lists 6 basic effects;
1. The Loop Ball
2. The Salt Pour
3. The Devil's Handkerchief
4. Fred Kaps' Vanish and recovery of 4 coins.
5. The Gypsy Thread(Street Style)

But this one goes way beyond just those 6 as there multiple variations on each, and other material too. Also on the DVD is a simple but amazing ball routine with a normal ball.

First, I will cover the mechanics:
Production Quality: Good basic quality. No glitzy scene transitions, and just a basic black background. But the showy scene stuff rarely adds anything anyway. And the black background is perfect for showing the magic without distractions. The camera work was also good, and although it was done with a single camera, the direction was insightful showing the effects from the proper angles to allow the best understanding for the teaching. I also liked the format of; A. Performance, B. Explanation, C. A replay of the performance while what you just learned is fresh in your mind. This is a powerful teaching reinforcement strategy here folks. The audio is also good and clear.

Now for the effects:

The Loop ball.
Amazing effect that will have you looking like a real magician in no time. He even tells you how to make the loop ball, and shows you a whole routine with it. The ball comes and goes, in a truly amazing way.

Joe Carson’s Chinese Egg Bag Production. After a quick video clip of Joe Carson, Cellini shows the whole routine making a solid egg, disappear inside of a flat mat that it is held by both ends after showing it empty (which it is) then introducing an egg, dropping it into mat, and vanishing it, showing the mat empty front and back, and then having the egg reappear. It is a bit hard to explain, as no real bag is used, but flat mat. But the effect is just very magical.

But wait! There is another bonus here, as Cellini shows a Slydini variation of this effect, including actual video of Slydini performing it, where he uses a magazine instead of the mat, after showing everything empty, folds the magazine into a cone that is freely shown empty, and then he dumps out an egg.
I would never have thought that this effect would have the presentation power that it does, but the possibility of an impromptu “egg bag” effect, (all you need is the egg, and somebody’s magazine or paper) is outstanding.

Loop ball and Hat. Another outstanding variation well taught. If you are a fan of the misers dream with coins, you will love this production that produces a ball, drops it into the hat, and then produces another, until you have “have it full”, at which time you can dump the hat – and to everyone’s amazement – the hat is now empty.

A superb, multi phase Normal ball routine. Even though I own a Cellini loop ball, this was my favorite of the ball effects. You simply vanish and reappear a ball, so many times, and so many ways, showing your hands clean at many phases of the routine. This routine alone is well worth the price of the DVD.

Salt and Water Variations. What can I say? A loop ball variation of a salt pour that just doesn’t stop. First you pour a ton of salt into your hand, then vanish it, show the hands clean, reach out grab "something" and pour salt out of your hand. And more salt, and more salt. Or how about Water? The possibilities are very interesting! Oh, and for good measure, he shows a silk production from the same type of gimmick.

Devil’s Handkerchief. Several routines, from a single giant coin production and vanish with giant coin and an ungimmicked silk, to the production of a stack of giant coins that made a tremendous impact (no pun intended) as they each hit the floor. He goes into detail on a number of the various vanishes; from Himber vanish, to Push Down vanish, and Turnover vanish.

Fred Kaps’ Vanish and recovery of a multi-coin (silver dollars) vanish and visual, and audible reproduction one at a time. Really this starts with an Eddy Joseph vanish of coins into the handkerchief, but then the revelation of the coins one at a time was inspired by Fred Kaps. This effect uses the same ungimmicked handkerchief as the previous effect, and also uses ungimmicked coins. This is amazing to see, as the first mystery of the coins disappearing, is quickly and increasingly surpassed as each coin returns, one at a time dropping into the folded handkerchief held by the four corners in only one hand. Talk about real magic! When you first see this, you won’t believe it! But you can do it!

I probably missed a lot, but I didn’t want to go as long as the DVD: 1 Hour and 17 minutes.

Don’t buy this DVD if you are looking for nearly impossible, knuckle busters. Don’t buy it, if you are in love with flying text effects and video backgrounds of exotic places on your magic teaching videos.

But if you want to do something that will amaze people, make you look really skilled, and you perform in a lot of different types of places, and are willing to practice at least a little bit, then you are going to want this DVD.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
Did this just come out? I've never heard of it.
Poindexter
View Profile
New user
Wisconsin USA
57 Posts

Profile of Poindexter
BroDavid,
Thanks for the review!
I was planning on waiting and ordering this along with the 2nd and 3rd Street Performing DVDs, also due to be released soon. Now I'm not so sure I can wait that long. Smile

Redstreak,
I think that Koz said it would be arriving at the distributor next week.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3182 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Yes, redstreak, this is just now coming out. I believe that I got one of the very first few copies shipped anywhere, but I expect that it should be generally available very soon (within a couple of weeks maximum).

And Poindexter, if I were you, I wouldnt wait! I too am looking forward to more in the Art of Street Perfroming, but this stuff isn't just for the street, although it will play well there for you, as it has fro Jim over the years.

I have now watched this DVD 5 times, and I am still getting things out of it. Nuances, tips, explanations, routines, it just keeps coming.

This DVD is really targeted to a much wider audience than the Art of Street Performing series, and will really probably outsell the "Art of" by magnitudes.

You don't need a lot of expensive gimmicks, nor do you need incredible skill to do these effects that are incedibly powerful in presentation. And they can be done anywhere, at any time!

I am not sure of the street price for this DVD, (MY guess is around $35), but even if it is pricier than most DVDs, you get a lot of very immediately usable material and instruction, instead of buying a cheaper DVD and only getting one thing, if you are lucky, that you can really use off of it.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
Who's going to carry this?
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5274 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Like our Brother David, Ted, er…Kozmo gave me the opportunity to get one of the first copies of this DVD. I arrived home after driving two hours in a heavy rainstorm to find the DVD in my mailbox. What a nice way to unwind. I watched the DVD twice before calling it a night.

David has given an excellent review of this DVD. There is not much to add.

I will say that I had forgotten how powerful the Joe Karson “Chinese Egg Bag” was. It was one of my very first “real” magic shop purchases back in the late 50’s and was a regular feature in my early attempts at having a magic act. Honestly, I don’t believe that I ever knew that this was a Joe Karson trick.

Frankly, watching the two short performance clips of Karson and Slydini was more than worth the cost of admission for me. I have seen photos of Karson but never a film clip.

The loop ball work is breathtaking in Jim Cellini’s hands. I think that we will see resurgence in this prop just because Jim makes it look so easy AND so magical. Face it, this prop has been all but forgotten.

Jim gives away the working of a homemade long-pour salt gimmick (I really wish he hadn’t done that, it is the gimmick I use!) and a water from no-where gimmick (OK, same gimmick but still some people would not make the creative leap unless they were told!).

Let me say, that your use of the Now-U-See-It-Now-U-Don’t prop (or the earlier Ed Mellon’s “Money Miracle”) will be smoother just by watching this DVD and incorporating some of the handling ideas.

The DVD lists the performance and explanation of the “Devils Handkerchief”. Don’t be fooled. This is not the working of the prop known as the Devils Handkerchief. It is a routine using an ungimmicked handkerchief and some coins and other props. Yes, Brother David does mention that Cellini shows you some amazing moves and routines using a regular, ungimmicked handkerchief a few coin and some balls.

He clearly developed the routine using the handkerchief on the streets. All bad angles are well covered.

There is a lot to be learned on this DVD and Cellini gives you everything you need.

As to where you can get it? I got mine directly from ol' Kosmo. He was discussing it on another thread. Simmply e-mail him and ask. He'll send you his address, the price (money order only) and answer any question you might have.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5283 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
This DVD will be available at your local magic dealer in the next week or so.

koz
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21778 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Harry,

I guess we will have to dig deeper in our magic chest to do magic everyone else will not be doing now.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5274 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Bill, you are absolutely right! If these guys keep on bringing back the golden oldies to this new generation I might actually might have to go all the way back to the late 40's in my little box of mysteries to have something no one else knows about or uses! (Ok,OK, I confess that I do use some of Monk Watson's and Al Baker's stuff from the early 40's!)
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
Brother, David, thanks for the detailed review. That took a lot of time and is greatly appreciated!

Chris

Robert Sixx
View Profile
Special user
764 Posts

Profile of Robert Sixx
BroDavid, you neglected to mention the Gypsy Thread -- the routine that I am most interested in. Was this an oversight, or did you not mention it for a reason -- which ever it is, what do you think of it?

Thanks,

Sixx
Catch me on Twitter @RobertSixx or Facebook -- Robert Sixx
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
Anyone receive theirs yet? I ordered from Hocus Pocus and it will be here any day.

MagicSteve84
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of MagicSteve84
How is the Gypsy Thread Routine on this video?
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5274 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Cellini’s “Gypsy Thread Routine” is very good. The effect is that a card of yarn/string is tossed out to unravel. The length of yarn/string is phenomenal compared to most “Gypsy Thread” routines. He shreds/breaks the yarn/string into fairly long pieces which hang out of the fist doing the breaking. This bit alone makes the routine different.

Cellini does show you a couple innovations that make handling the “necessary” a breeze.

If you have ever seen Billy McComb do his version of the Gypsy Thread then you seen an earlier version of this routine. The only differences are that Billy uses WAY less yarn, which results in not needing the moves (simple though they are) that Cellini came up with, and length of the broken bits. Billy breaks them into the traditional short length (three to four inch) compared to Cellini’s foot-long lengths!

Imagine rolling ten feet of yarn off a card, then breaking that length of yarn into smaller bits of say 10 to 15 inches, then openly and with no false moves, restoring the yarn back to its original 10 feet long! The trick now fills a stage!

While you can use this fairly close-up, this is a stand-up trick. Is it good? Absolutely!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
I got mine and it rocks. His moves are so elegant. We're blessed that a master has been captured in this format (DVD).

All the routines are show pieces. The Chinese Egg Bag fooled me badly!

BWind
View Profile
Loyal user
Aiea, Hawaii
245 Posts

Profile of BWind
The DVD is my first experience with Mr. Cellini, I am impressed beyond all expectations, his movements are graceful, fluid and pleasing to watch; His explanations are simple and are conveyed without any suplerfluous moves; Mr. Cellini projects himself with absolutely no pretension, much like a martial arts master, who knowingly can beat the heck out of you, but chooses not too;
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5283 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Glad you liked it.

Koz
M Pitcher
View Profile
Elite user
Around the block
422 Posts

Profile of M Pitcher
The DVD is AWESOME! Cellini is AWESOME!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
I hope Cellini puts out another DVD on street performing. I heard he was doing a follow up to his first one.

shanester
View Profile
Loyal user
Darlington, England
267 Posts

Profile of shanester
I have the DVD and am very pleased with it.
Can anyone tell me these two things:

Where can I get a good quality loop ball (and how much are they)?

What happened to the destroyed string at the end of the Gypsy thread sequence? I am assuming that I know where it went but would like the opinion of someone who knows, as it is not explained. P.M. me if you think this is too sensitive for the open forum.

O.K. that's 3 things.

Thanks
Shanester
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Cellini DVD - Magic That Can Be Performed Anywhere (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL