The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Cellini DVD - Magic That Can Be Performed Anywhere (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5298 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Well its not really a cellini project...theres a lot of people involved including jon racherbaumer...its hopefully gonna be finsihed by the x-mas season....it will be worth the wait
thanks
koz
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Quote:
On 2004-05-02 01:41, BWind wrote:
The DVD is my first experience with Mr. Cellini, I am impressed beyond all expectations, his movements are graceful, fluid and pleasing to watch; His explanations are simple and are conveyed without any suplerfluous moves; Mr. Cellini projects himself with absolutely no pretension, much like a martial arts master, who knowingly can beat the heck out of you, but chooses not too;

Can't add anymore to that! Well said. Jim Cellini is a legend and I esp. enjoy to see some of the historical footage of Joe Karson with the Chinese Egg Bag and Jim's reminiscence of his European trips. Priceless.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5298 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
We kind of feel that magic videos sould have more than just nagic in them,,,,the history is important,...

its very difficult to approach all projects like that...

we are current;y working on 2 dvd's with lance delong and 2 dvd's with chad sanborn...should be a summer release...chad is known for doing the spoon bend which is very visual magic and I think you will all like it if you haven't seen it...he also does some real nice coin and card work...there is stuff there that you could use

lance delongs new dvd set is for the sleight of hand guys who like to be challenged...lots of tough stuff there...BUT there are also some gret ideas that you could take and turn them into something....he does a great coin through glass...kills me and also does a real nice coin to purse routine....strong card work...its called "sleight of hand required" volume one and two and let me tell you there is a lot of sleight of hand there...coin guys will dig this and so will the card guys and yes I know this is a blatant plug
koz
jsheas
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of jsheas
The first post says it all. Without bias, this is a great DVD. These routines do not only apply to street magic (in which Cellini is one of the best)but can apply to the cabaret arena and even fairly close up. Fred Kapps vanish and recovery of 4 coins is a classic impromptu effect. I surprisingly enjoyed the ungimmicked egg bag routine. I do not use an egg but the effect is still great.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2005-05-30 11:53, tedb wrote:

and 2 dvd's with chad sanborn...should be a summer release...chad is known for doing the spoon bend which is very visual magic and I think you will all like it if you haven't seen it...he also does some real nice coin and card work...there is stuff there that you could use

Koz, when are the chad sanborn dvd's coming out? This guy is a brilliant magician and these should have great routines and sleights on them!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
jsheas
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of jsheas
Any other DVDs from Cellini worth seeing?
I believe he's on the Slydini series.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5298 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Yea, hes on Slydini...he did the lord and mastewr of the rings which is one of the top 3 ring routines ever in my opinion...he did the art of street performing series 1, 2 and 3
T.House
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of T.House
I don't think anyone answered the question of where to buy the thread for the Gypsy Thread routine. Does anyone know of a source?
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
I asked this on another thread (Ha Ha) but I think I'll give it a go here as well. Did anyone ever find out the kind of thread he uses?
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1832 Posts

Profile of teejay
Hi
I have one of Cellini's Street DVDs somewhere
It is absolutely brilliant
But some of the effects mentioned here sound very familiar
Are the effects here the same as on the Street ones?
TJ
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5298 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
No
FCpreacher
View Profile
Elite user
PA
439 Posts

Profile of FCpreacher
I enjoyed portions of this DVD, but was somewhat disappointed with it. I appreciate that someone is doing ball manipulations these days, but I did not prefer his style. I enjoyed the balls in the hat routine as well as parts of the normal ball routine. I appreciated the historic footage also. However, by and large I will not give this DVD a high rating.

Just my honest opinion.

FC
FCpreacher
View Profile
Elite user
PA
439 Posts

Profile of FCpreacher
I enjoyed portions of this DVD, but was somewhat disappointed with it. I appreciate that someone is doing ball manipulations these days, but I did not prefer his style. I enjoyed the balls in the hat routine as well as parts of the normal ball routine. I appreciated the historic footage also. However, by and large I will not give this DVD a high rating.

Just my honest opinion.

FC
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5298 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
FC, its a well produced dvd that has magic that appeals to many in our community....i'm sorry it didn't appeal to you...but don't discount this style of magic...it can be very strong and if you take these idea you can turn itinto something special

koz
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Boy! I certainly respect FCpreacher's opinion and can appreciate that this type of magic might not be his cup of tea. But, to me, this DVD is one of the best I have ever seen or own. Lots of practical magic, and, if you are even thinking of performing on the streets, this is a "must have".

His ball magic, cornecopia, T&R string, are all great But, IMHO, the killer material was his handling of the 4" (?) "coins" and his instant vanish of 4 coins in a handkerchief (using an ungimmicked silk and 4 regular silver dollars) and the invisible re-production of each coin individually back into the handkerchief.

Very visual magic and, for the streets, this is an act in and of itself. Lots of effects using inexpensive (to make) props and which are durable and which will hold up "on the road". If pressed, I'd have to categorize this magic as parlor and stage magic. Probably not suitable for walk around or close-up. No fancy gimmicked coins or cards here. Basically, just very visual street magic.

Again, I can certainly appreciate, understand and respect FCpreacher's opinion regarding this DVD. However, for my part, this is one of my top 5 magic DVDs (And I don't even perform street magic). I'll never sell or trade away this DVD. Different strokes for different folks.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
FCpreacher
View Profile
Elite user
PA
439 Posts

Profile of FCpreacher
You know, the more magicians I session with, the more I understand this to be true. Something I absolutely love, someone else will yawn at (and the other way around too). I suppose different backgrounds, personalities, performance styles, presuppositions, theory, etc. can contribute to these factors.

I'm very glad we can get along and continue to be different.

FC
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5298 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Fc, we are certainly different and I appreciate that you didn't pan this dvd although it didn't fit your style...i personally love this project..

good luck in the furture with your magic man
koz
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Cellini's Magic That Can Be Performed Anywhere is one of my top 10 DVDs. The stuff that Jim Cellini teaches are worth gold IMHO. Of course, I understand his style of magic may not be suitable for all magicians. But very often, a watching experience of a DVD frequently change to good when it's watch a second or third time.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Eva
View Profile
Regular user
Magicienne
125 Posts

Profile of Eva
I have this DVD and I enjoyed the normal ball routine most. Because I do not work the streets some of the material does not suit my style.

But the ball routine has been useful when 'jamming' with a ball. Cellini teaches some nice moves on this DVD.
"Believe it, or believe it not!" ~ Manuel Muerte

(__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1382 Posts

Profile of MDantes
Sorry for brining up this old thread:)

But I was re watching this DVD and wanted to know if Kozmo it anyone can chime in as to what kind of thread/yarn Cellini uses.

It’s thick like yarn but can be torn easily.

Any suggestions?
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Cellini DVD - Magic That Can Be Performed Anywhere (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL