The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Paul Harris Butterfly cut (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

holytoledo36
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of holytoledo36
Can anyone tell me where I can get a good explanation on this cut.
CLJ
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
281 Posts

Profile of CLJ
Jerry's Encylopedia of Playing Card Flourishes. that unfortunately is sold out. I learnt it from Jay Sankey's The Very best of Series, Volume 1. However I am not sure if you want to spend an entire 30 US on a DVD just to learn that.

Gregory Wilson has a very nice variation in Card Stunts that I use regularly, in place of the original Butterfly Cut.
"Watch this, you ready now? Watch this, watch, watch, watch, watch now, watch closely, watch this, you watching now? Watch, watch..." - David Blaine
Skulldini
View Profile
New user
N. California
80 Posts

Profile of Skulldini
Jeff McBride The Art of Card Manipulation Vol 3
Skulldini Smile
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
I personnaly prefer the Greg Wilson's version of this cut. You'll find it on his "Pyrotechnic pasteboards".
Jonathan.
trickster2000
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
286 Posts

Profile of trickster2000
IS Greg Wilsons version False?? I know Paul Harris version is not False, only the top and bottom remains the same.
Glenn Alloway
View Profile
Regular user
Edmonton AB Canada
103 Posts

Profile of Glenn Alloway
Trickster2000,

The Paul Harris version showen on McBride vol.3 can be easily modified to be false if you have a table present. You can roll the top two packs off of your finger tips, turn you hand over and place them on the table. Follow as such with the two remaining packets on top of the other two. Now combine the two half stacks on the table into one. Now your pseudo butterfly cut is false.

It is important to remember not to duplicate other people cuts. Cuts are one of those things where you start with the idea and then modify it to meet you goals and handling style.
"This is madness and yet there is method in it." ~Shakespeare
Liam Jones
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of Liam Jones
The butterfly cut can be false or a true cut
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
Trickster2000,
The Greg Wilson's one is a top and bottom retention. But the two middle packets are inverted. I spent a little time on it and, with no major modifications, I couldn't find a way to make it totally false.
Jonathan.
studentoflife
View Profile
Veteran user
Paris, France
310 Posts

Profile of studentoflife
The full deck false butterfly is by far my all time favorite Smile
- Y
<BR>"Nothing is difficult...it's all about what you want, and how bad you want it."
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
I was able to make the cut totally false and keep it in the hands, but it's pretty challanging to keep it looking nice. Not sure how well I can describe the method without an overly lengthy post, but the key to making it false in my method is when you trap the packets between the fingers after the initial charlier cuts, the packet that was the original top half is trapped with the middle finger underneath instead of the index. Then, instead of the packets being combined and pinched together as one packet, the two packets are held separately, one between the index and middle, and the other between the middle and ring fingers. The remaining two packets are then placed where they need to be to maintain the order of the deck. The middle two packets are levered forward, and the original top half is placed below, and the remaining packet is placed inbetween the two middle packets that are still clipped between the fingers as the whole thing is being closed up and squared.

Not sure if that description is quite sufficient, but play around with it and you should figure it out.

Though for the record, I think using the butterfly cut as a false cut is kind of overkill and there are a lot of false cuts that are more deceptive and easier to do. I just worked this out as more of an excersize in trying to make various cuts false to see if it could be done.
Matthew Olsen

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Paul Harris Butterfly cut (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL