The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Not getting that spark (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

asif
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of asif
Hello all, I'm finally glad to be a member of magic Café. I was introduced to magic at around 12 years but have been a passive practitioner. And when I was in high school I got detached from it completely due to exams and other issues. But after joining the college I got the spark in me back and practiced for around 3 months ( during vacations). I felt bored after practicing a lot. So I started to perform for my friends and family and find it really enjoying that I only thought about magic during the whole day. But now I'm getting some burnout problems. I'm not getting that spark in me. I really love magic and I'm fearing that I'm getting away from it. But I don't want that to happen. I sometimes think that I'm not talented enough to be a magician. But from my heart I love magic so much. I am fearing that if I'm taking a break now I'll again detach from it .So I would like to know other members experiences regarding this type of issues during their magical adventure. I thank all of you in advance ( sorry for the post to be long)
ARandomWizard
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of ARandomWizard
Hey there Smile

Quite recently actually I was wondering why I bothered with magic, not because I don't enjoy it but I don't yet have the confidence to perform to anyone other than friends and family. The problem with the above, I think, is that they too get bored of it. If you're performing to family all the time, the reactions you get will never be great. I decided to take a break. That break didn't last long! I was still watching videos online of magic and I found Chris Ramsay's Street Magic videos really inspiring. I also realised that trying something new can give you that spark again. What magic do you like to perform? Cards? Coins? Try something different. A fun cups and balls routine. The watch steal. Mentalism. What ever you like. But don't give up. You can be a magician! JUST DOOOO IT!!!

K I took that too far.

But seriously, check out Chris Ramsay's Street Magic if you like.

- Taras
asif
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of asif
I love coin magic, but I do card tricks occasionally. Thanks for the advice.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Hello asif

I would suggest you take the initiative to see if there is a magic club in your area. Being around like minded individuals will keep your spark going for the next 50 (or more!) years.

Most of all, have FUN. Smile

Julie
asif
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of asif
Sorry Julie there are no magic clubs around here
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
No magic clubs? Sounds like you need to start one! A few posters with an email address to contact might help you round up a handful of people with shared interests. Chatting with others who "have the bug" helps you keep your interest up -- that's one benefit of this forum. In fact, you might share your location in this discussion thread or in your profile, and perhaps you can connect with some Café members from your area.

You might also pick a new area of magic to tackle, so you get some fresh material and a fresh challenge. If you're already a coin an card guy, try learning some ring-and-string stuff, or some magic with rubber bands.

You might also fan the flames of your interest in magic with a magic theory book (like "Strong Magic" by Darwin Ortiz) or perhaps a book on the history of magic (perhaps "Conjuring" by James Randi").

Good luck!
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
You might also consider joining the I.B.M. and/or S.A.M. and then participate in their respective chat rooms online.

Julie
asif
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of asif
Julie , for joining IBM can you please tell what we have to do. Is there any audition process? And thanks to Doug for his valuable advice. I have read strong magic little bit. And I have been working on string magic for few weeks and then dropped it. I don't know why. Now I'm doing only magic with IET in that area.
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
887 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
IBM information is in the next block of forums right below this one.
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
There's no audition process for IBM -- you can just join online.
Terry Pratchett
asif
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of asif
Thanks for the information Doug, I'll check that. Also sometimes I feel little bit discouraged. Because I really want to contribute something to this great art. And when I study about those magicians , most of them had started their career at a tender age of 10 while I'm in my twenties. So I am sometimes doubting myself whether I'm fit for magic. Is it natural or is there any way to get out of this kind of feeling. Please guide me in the right way.
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
You're in your twenties? Your life is over.

Just kidding. You're still young, and have plenty of time ahead of you to contribute to the art. At my local IBM ring meeting, first-time visitors are often people in their twenties who have decided to pursue something that has interested them for a while.

There are also lots of different ways to contribute. You might be a creator, a performer, a historian, a teacher, or simply an enthusiast who supports the art with your time and money. You might even be many of these things at different points in your life.

There is something called "imposter syndrome" that some people face. I'm a university professor, and it's common in my field. It's that vague feeling that you're a fraud and that it's only a matter of time before you are found out. It's common enough to have a name -- that tells you something. It's not unusual for people to doubt themselves. What sets successful people apart is that they ignore their doubts and try anyway.

“Our doubts are traitors,
and make us lose the good we oft might win,
by fearing to attempt.”
― William Shakespeare
Terry Pratchett
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
Here's a good discussion thread on the question of whether you're too old to start pursuing magic:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=41
Terry Pratchett
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Try learning some easier "self working" tricks. There are some 100% KILLER self working tricks out there that require little skill to perform, so they free you up to really hone your style, your "acting" abilities and freeing you up to "enjoying" your own tricks..
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Sari Atassi
View Profile
New user
Syria
50 Posts

Profile of Sari Atassi
I'll quote myself from another similar topic!

Quote:
On Aug 3, 2016, Sari Atassi wrote:
Hello Pete1959W,

To tell you my personal experience
I've been studying magic for about 2.5 years (I know not a lot),
I've been almost always excited about learning more and more.

There were times I lost interest and told myself what the hell am I doing!
I figured out why (for me).. it was mainly because the magic I was learning made no sense!

It had no reason.. for example: (pick a card, and I'll find a card in some way)
I always asked myself why! Why would I make him pick a card and I'll find it, what's magical about that!

That's when I discovered what magic is about.. it's not about methods, tricks (although having a solid trick and method is for sure a helpful thing)

The most important part in my opinion.. is to have a story.. a presentation.. a reason.. even if it was a silly one.. as long as you have a story to tell.. a reason as to why you're doing what you're doing!
You'll keep finding what you're doing to be magical and your spectators will notice that as well!

For example, if you're familiar with "Triumph"
Instead of saying "Pick a card, and I'll shuffle the cards in this weird way.. then I'll find your card to be the only face up card in a face down pack"

You can say "Last time I was doing a card trick for my friends/in this bar/ and I really wanted to impress this girl/guy so I wanted to do my favorite card trick, so I let him pick a card.. but there was this drunk guy who kept taking the cards out of my hands and shuffled them in this weird way! I didn't know what to do, then I figured out if I am a magician I can still find the card in a snap of fingers *snaps* *reveals*

Sorry for taking this long! but you see the difference? your audience will.
Give your tricks a reason, and you won't feel you're doing this for nothing.. you'll always have a reason!

Don't give up on your magic!

Good luck Smile

~Sari

Good luck to you as well :3
It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled. ~ Mark Twain
macc
View Profile
Loyal user
205 Posts

Profile of macc
I'm 34...and I very often took a break from magic (because "i lost the spark")...sometimes for several years....but I always come back to it (quite sparkly actually Smile)

So don't worry....like it's already been mentioned..maybe look into different things...what about mentalism?

Or just take a break...;-)
CalebRose
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of CalebRose
Eric Jones started in his twenties and Shin Lim started in his very late teens. I don't believe the age has much to do with the future skill. It is just the dedication and practice that you decide to put it into it.
Gorlzax
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Gorlzax
I have been practising now for about 3 years and I am 33 years old. And I recognise the thought, "am I too old, is this just silly". But that thought comes and goes. As long as magic gives me joy and feels meaningful I will do it! I think Sari Atassi above said it well, when magic starts to be more than just the tricks you do, it starts to give also more to you as a magician, as an artist, as a performer.

For me what helped a lot not to get the practise burn out, as you said, was actually not look for new tricks. So this is in a way very different advice than what many people have been giving here. What I mean is that I'll bet that you already have more magic tricks in your bookshelf than you have time to learn in a life time. So instead of looking for the next big thing take one trick that you like and focus on that. Last autumn I did this and just focused half a year to develop my card and coin techinques; DL, different shuffles, palming etc. And when I started to get a feeling that I can really trust these moves I was able to start building magic on them. And after that I suggest you focus on the script of the trick, like Sari said. For me the routine isn't finnished at all before I do the script. The whole thing comes alive at that moment when I come up with a presentation that excites me and I write it down.

I hope the spark stays with you and you can enjoy your magic!

Alex
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Not getting that spark (12 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL