The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Let's Get Flurious (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2317 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Hi guys,
I did several searches over our Café forums, Google.com, and other websites. I find a lot of people that refer to Gary Kurtz tape "Let's Get Flurious." I have not yet found a full review of this old A-1 video. Can someone please help me out?
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Sure Brian,

I have had this tape for a long time, just now dug it out, and I'll pop it in and have another look at it...One thing I do know is the "Flurious", an incredible routine with a jumbo coin, is the highlight of this tape. I've forgotten the rest, but I will give it a peep.

Also, while digging in this box, I found J.C. Wagner's "Commercial Magic", where he does the classic "Card Under The Drink" and other miracles in front of the Bar Crowd. Got to watch that one again, too.

Stay tuned! Smile

Doug
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
Let's Get Flurious is freaking bananas!!

Flurious is one of the routines on the tape and its one of the most solid jumbo coin manipulation acts I have ever seen in my life. Kurtz is a great performer, technician and teacher on this tape.

All of the effects on the tape are worth checking out. Most of it takes a fair amount of practice. This tape is not for the person who just likes to sit and watch with no plans of ever performing the material. It's also not for the kind of person who gets discouraged at the thought of actually having to bust your butt to polish an effect.....you will work long and hard on Flurious, but it will be worth every single ounce of effort you put into it.
FCpreacher
View Profile
Elite user
PA
439 Posts

Profile of FCpreacher
I know David Stone probably got some of his ideas for "Smile Land" from "Flurious" but I think that Smile Land is better (not to take anything away from Gary Kurtz). Smile Land is dynamite.

FC
trickster2000
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
279 Posts

Profile of trickster2000
I like Trio in Three from the same video.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Yeah, I use Trio in Three and I plan on using Copper Silver Continued (I think that is the name) soon once I can get a jumbo Chinese coin. The video is great. And yes, both David Stone and Garret Thomas, as well as others have gotten their ideas from Kurtz. He was one of the people who got the idea of using a jumbo coin for coin manipulating. I would suggest that you get not only let's get Flurious but also Creating Magic. Both are great videos.
trickster2000
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
279 Posts

Profile of trickster2000
I bought an amazing jumbo Chinese coin from Stevens Magic. It’s the best one I’ve ever owned. It’s not as heavy as the usual ones sold in most magic shops, and the edges are rounded so that you won’t damage your silk when performing this routine.

Does anyone know if this will be released onto DVD?? I hope not.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I highly doubt that they will be put onto dvd concidering Gary Kurtz doesn't even do magic anymore. I guess the videos seem to be old to some people and not worth putting onto dvd but they're full of gold.
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2317 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Wow, ask and you shall recieve. I asked for a full review, and I got what I asked. Thanks guys, I have actually ordered it through my friend Jim Pace here in town. I have not had the time however to check if it's in the shop or not. I am looking forward to it. Thanks for your personal reviews and comments guys.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2004-03-19 23:32, dave2lift wrote:
I highly doubt that they will be put onto DVD, considering Gary Kurtz doesn't even do magic anymore....>-snip-<

HUH??? WTF??? Gary is out of magic? Hard to believe such a talent would just give it up...after working so hard on these gems...I'd love to hear his reasoning behind his abandonment of the art...

Doug
felix
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of felix
He is a mentalist now.
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2317 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Unfortunately felix is correct. http://www.garykurtz.com I think hey may return some day though. You never know.
trickster2000
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
279 Posts

Profile of trickster2000
I Highly doubt it... A friend of mine recently went to one of his shows in montreal, and the theater seated about 400-500 people and it was sold out... At 50 bucks a ticket, its highly unlikely he would come back...

UPDATE: April 17, 2004

Anyone know if A1 will put this on DVD? It sure is a waste to see someone as good as Kurtz leave magic.
FCpreacher
View Profile
Elite user
PA
439 Posts

Profile of FCpreacher
I agree with you guys. Creating Magic is also an excellent video. I think these videos are some of the best kept secrets I know of. They don't seem to be widely circulated, but boy are they good!

Brian, get both!

FC
Joey Evans
View Profile
Special user
Fort Myers, FL
534 Posts

Profile of Joey Evans
Let's Get Flurious is a great video, and I think Flurious is by far the best routine on there. If I had to choose between him and Stone's Smile Land, I'd have to choose Smile Land, however, but both are fantastic, as it's all in your routine.

Joey Brummett
The Visual Comedy and Magic of Joey Evans

http://www.Evansmagic.com/

The Impossible Has Never Been So Funny!
Cruise
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of Cruise
My FAVORITE videos are the ones like Let's Get Flurious where the performances are great, the teaching is superb and really get into the details. Kurtz had many layers to his magic and he teaches those little details that some videos don't!

I have his book but I like hearing it from his mouth. This video gets high ratings from me.

Teaching: 9/10
Material: 9/10
Presentation: 9/10
ask harry why he dont want people to know he makes $200 a month for all these ads! thats like $4000 a month! oh but SHHH! harry isnt a real person!
Michel Huot
View Profile
Regular user
Montreal
189 Posts

Profile of Michel Huot
Hi guys,

Gary will never get back into magic

He's into mentalism and he's doing everything he can NOT to be associated with magic. Not that he does not like the art of magic but he doesn't want the press to know he's been involved in magic or else it would explain a lot of things for them.

Here in Montreal. Gary is well known and making a big name for himself

Saw his show three or four times, and it kills. It is also a very visual show as opposed to most mentalist's show. If you ever get a chance, come and see him.
Tricks aren't important...people are!!!
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5373 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Gary is the man! You wonder why he left magic? Because there was no whre for him to go. He was the very best that there was. He's frickin great! I love his stuff, Get Flurious. If you can find it, put it in your VCR. When you start thinging you are good, and you will realize after watching Kurtz how far you have to go. This guy's the frickin man!

koz
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1739 Posts

Profile of wally
Can anyone let me know, which is the best book to buy on jumbo coin routines? I want to perform a vanishing jumbo coin routine on stage.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22406 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Wally,

Your answer is in the comments above your posting.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Let's Get Flurious (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL