The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Aging photos (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

StreetWalkinCheeta
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of StreetWalkinCheeta
First time posting so bear with me. I am wanting to do a routine that includes old photos that look really aged. You know to give that basic haunting effect. I am wanting to tell a story with particular historic figures from the 1800's. How would you go about printing and then aging these portraits say from a Google image search? Any help would be helpful.
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2179 Posts

Profile of Christopher Taylor
Sepia tone your images; have them printed on heavy card stock by a printer (the guys who do business cards), NOT a regular photo printer; bend them to give some creases; experiment with strongly brewed tea to get the look you want. Cheers.

Christopher
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

www.taylorimagineering.com

MAKING MENTALISM MORE IMPOSSIBLE
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
652 Posts

Profile of Winks
Do not age them too much. That mistake is made by too many. Most photos were stored in boxes or albums and not exposed to sunlight. The photos would age, but not like they had been left out in wind and rain. Sepia tone for photos before 1900, decreasing in intensity past 1880 when developers and fixers and emulsions improved. One of the best ways to age the photo card is J.E.Mosers Aniline Dye - the alcohol soluble one - Honey Amber Maple. Age with this more on the edges and lightly as you approach the photo. I would also not bend or crease the photos much at all. Photos were usually precious and well kept. And, while I respect Chris Taylor's props, I would not use tea or any water based stain - it warps the boards too much. Alcohol does not. Good luck.
Winks
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2179 Posts

Winks: Thanks for the the alcohol dye tip, excellent.

Christopher
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
Spent all this time on the Cafe' and all I have to show for it is
445 Posts

Profile of friend2cptsolo
Over aging becomes an issue when doing this.... Point made by Winks photos are generally kept in boxes or albums that keep the photo in good condition.
I have some old family photos
And yes glossy photos did not exist for that time period... also beveled edges were very popular. Also I noticed very different sizes....mostly squares like a 4x4
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2179 Posts

A note of clarification: the reason why I suggest using a printer rather than a photofinisher is the fact that these types of photos were generally printed on much heavier stock than is readily available from photo shops these days. Cheers.

Christopher
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

ProfessorMagicJMG
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of ProfessorMagicJMG
There is a product line that is designed to age items for scrap booking and it is a spray ink, http://rangerink.com/?product=tim-holtz-......y-stains
Look at Old Paper and Antique linen as good colors for aging paper.
Here are some other aging resources: http://www.favecrafts.com/Altered-Art/Ag......and-Tips
Also, Paul Pater has a book of bizarre routines using photographs, contact him at: http://www.paulprater.com
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Clarke's 3rd Law

"Any sufficiently primitive technology can mystify a postmodern audience." - JMG's Corollary to Clarke's 3rd Law
Pizpor
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of Pizpor
If you have a Mac, the aged look for a photo can be done prior to printing with an app called Vintage Scene. If I recall correctly, it was about $5 or so and I have found it to be very useful. There are numerous effects you can apply such as wrinkling, creases, aged hues, antique borders and a lot more. Then its just a matter of printing on your home printer. Of course it all depends on what type of photo or document you're trying to make and how much scrutiny it will be under. The techniques already talked about are incredible.
Sir
View Profile
Loyal user
207 Posts

Profile of Sir
There is something to be said for how you store your aged photos after you have made them look old. If you were to search through my house, you would eventually come across aged photos in the strangest of places. They are in the attic and basement, yes, but also I have a few under an old leather couch, some more tucked away in really old books and national geographic magazines - I think there may even be one on top of a rarely-used celling fan blade.

What are they doing there?

Collecting dust, cobwebs and old smells. Spectators are using more than just their sight when interacting with our props. My philosophy is why not go the extra mile and give them the full sensory experience?
"By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes."
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2424 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
I have a 2 box stack of garage aged 70 yr old life magazines I use to add smell and grime to ephemera.
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5240 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2016, Sir wrote:
There is something to be said for how you store your aged photos after you have made them look old. If you were to search through my house, you would eventually come across aged photos in the strangest of places. They are in the attic and basement, yes, but also I have a few under an old leather couch, some more tucked away in really old books and national geographic magazines - I think there may even be one on top of a rarely-used celling fan blade.

What are they doing there?

Collecting dust, cobwebs and old smells. Spectators are using more than just their sight when interacting with our props. My philosophy is why not go the extra mile and give them the full sensory experience?

So awesome.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Aging photos (14 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL