The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Chasing A Dream Within a War! (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sari Atassi
View Profile
New user
Syria
50 Posts

Profile of Sari Atassi
Hello from Syria!
Uhmm I don't know where to start,
I am a 21 years old "magician"..
I've been into magic for about 2.5 years,
And as you know being in the "Most Dangerous Country" in the world (Syria) is not a really helpful thing for a magician
As we don't have any magic dealers, stores , or any educated magician to learn from, plus we can't even order online from anywhere (no shipping to Syria of course).
The hardest thing for me was "where to start" I really wanted to learn magic the right way,,
I really wanted to be an educated magician who knows what he's doing
2 years ago I was so addicted to card magic, I started off with some youtube tutorials,
Thanks to some great youtube channels like Asad's (52kards) that even got me more interested in magic
Of course I couldn't do any of the classics of magic then, because of the lack of props (I can't even buy a TT, sponge balls, linking rings, or any good quality cards)
But my passion for magic kept growing anyway,
For the past 2 years I've been almost exclusively collecting and studying everything about magic from cards and learning all the sleights (that in my opinion will be useful to me),,

studying a lot of gimmicks and how they work, and studying about mentalism and different ways of obtaining secret information or forcing them for what it matters, then I got more

interested in organic magic and the things you can do with every day's objects as it seemed more magical (to me and everybody I guess)
I don't know if I should feel bad when I figure out the method of some magic effect from their demo or from researching and not actually buying the trick,, I don't intend to steal any

body's work but I'm not in a really good situation as to pay for the amazing (thoughts and routines) after I figure them out, but I sure will credit the creators when necessary..
As for this year I found a way finally to buy and ship from online magic stores to Syria, so I was able to widen the selection of tricks (I do).
For 20 years I've been the guy who had no interest in anything or has no dreams and goals..
Until I had one of the hardest "dreams" someone in my situation could have..
I found myself in Magic, and I really want to be a "successful" professional magician.. you might not know how hard it is to actually achieve that dream, that's because it's impossible to

get paid well as a magician in Syria, and of course it's really hard to travel anywhere in the world for the Syrian Passport holders for Visa problems.
I always read stuff here on the magic Café, and I often have comments and ideas or handlings about different things, and I thought now is a good time to start sharing them with everybody

in here.
I'm not sure what "level" in magic I am, but I'll make a short list of a variety of things I usually do(not in any particular order):
•Cards:
-ACR with shoet (Mark Mason) ending.
-Toibox (Jonathan Kamm)
-Search And Destroy (Aaron Fisher)
-Tiny Plunger (Jon Armstrong, Mathiue Bich)
-Torched and restored (Brent Braun)
-Some version of card to card box
-I use Fob (David Penn) With kind of my own routine
-Card to Sealed envelope (idea for sealed envelope from Oz Pearlman's "Into The Abyss")
-Memorized Deck (Would work as mentalism or a card trick)
•Non Cards:
-Chop (Craig Petty)
-I always carry the deluxe nest of wallets (Nicholas Einhorn)
-Pro flite (Nicholas Einhorn)
-Ring On Rope (Learned on Ring Leader by Gregory Wilson)
-Torn 2 Pieces (Shawn Farquhar)
•Mentalism:
-Vacation prediction (Oz Pearlman)
-My routine with Svenpads
-Fourth Dimensional Telepathy (Bob Cassidy)
-Name and a Playing Card
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Those are the things on top of my head, I actually do a lot more than that, I just happen to have the worst memory in the world, I do forget what I am able to do (this always kills me)..
I'm really sorry for taking this long,, I just wanted to be a part of all of this..
I hope I'll be able to help and get helped to achieve my dream some day
I look forward to hearing your opinions!
Thank you,
For anyone who made it to the end, I hope I didn't bore the hell out of you ♥
~Sari Atassi
It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled. ~ Mark Twain
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome Sari Atassi,

I sounds like you have already learned a lot.

I can't imagine your situation but I really admire your choosing something positive to dream about.

Whether you attain your dream or not is not as important as the journey.

Best of Luck on your path (and to the Syrian people).

-Mary Mowder
Sari Atassi
View Profile
New user
Syria
50 Posts

Profile of Sari Atassi
Quote:
On Aug 1, 2016, Mary Mowder wrote:
Welcome Sari Atassi,

I sounds like you have already learned a lot.

I can't imagine your situation but I really admire your choosing something positive to dream about.

Whether you attain your dream or not is not as important as the journey.

Best of Luck on your path (and to the Syrian people).

-Mary Mowder

Thank you Mary!
One thing I'm sure about is that it will be an enjoyable journey whatever the result
Hope I'll be able to contribute something to the art as well! Smile
It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled. ~ Mark Twain
tomd
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of tomd
Hi Sari! welcome to the forums.

This may be a personal question, but have you thought about seeking aslyum? or even moving once things have settled? You would benefit tremendously as a magician, it would open up many opportunities for you!

Sorry if the question is too personal, good luck on your journey!

-Tomas
Sari Atassi
View Profile
New user
Syria
50 Posts

Profile of Sari Atassi
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2016, tomd wrote:
Hi Sari! welcome to the forums.

This may be a personal question, but have you thought about seeking aslyum? or even moving once things have settled? You would benefit tremendously as a magician, it would open up many opportunities for you!

Sorry if the question is too personal, good luck on your journey!

-Tomas

Hello Tomas!
Thank you for showing interest Smile

Actually, for now I'm studying economics in college, I will "hopefully graduate in a year or so.. after that I guess I'll be able to get a scholarship to study masters in economics somewhere in Europe
And that would be my chance "I guess?"

As for seeking asylum, I don't think that's the way for me Smile as long as I have an alternative I won't be doing that and hopefully I won't have to.

Thank you again!
tomd
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of tomd
Fair enough,

Good that you are acting positively in a place where not much can be found!

Stay safe and work hard, and I'm sure you will get what you want!
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
Spent all this time on the Cafe' and all I have to show for it is
442 Posts

Profile of friend2cptsolo
Weave your stories into your magic. MAGIC 'real magic' is life changing this is maybe a little escape for you. While you are performing you can make it a little escape for the audience also.
Sari Atassi
View Profile
New user
Syria
50 Posts

Profile of Sari Atassi
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2016, tomd wrote:
Fair enough,

Good that you are acting positively in a place where not much can be found!

Stay safe and work hard, and I'm sure you will get what you want!

Thank you again Tomas!

See you around Smile
Sari Atassi
View Profile
New user
Syria
50 Posts

Profile of Sari Atassi
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2016, friend2cptsolo wrote:
Weave your stories into your magic. MAGIC 'real magic' is life changing this is maybe a little escape for you. While you are performing you can make it a little escape for the audience also.

You're right! We've learned -the hard way- the true meaning of someone's smile..
That's what got me attached to magic even more,, to try and let people escape harsh realities and draw a smile on their face!
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1350 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Welcome welcome welcome Sari to the Café. We'll be following you with magic in Syria. There is a photo today in our San Francisco Chronicle of Syrian children laughing as they play on swings made from discarded rocket parts! Hope you bring more smiles. Lynn
Sari Atassi
View Profile
New user
Syria
50 Posts

Profile of Sari Atassi
Quote:
On Sep 16, 2016, lynnef wrote:
Welcome welcome welcome Sari to the Café. We'll be following you with magic in Syria. There is a photo today in our San Francisco Chronicle of Syrian children laughing as they play on swings made from discarded rocket parts! Hope you bring more smiles. Lynn

I'm terribly sorry I haven't noticed your post before!

Thank you for the warm welcome (:

I hope no one will ever have to go through what those children are going through!

Thank you! Smile))
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Welcome Sari!

Somehow, I missed your first post last AUGUST!

So! A belated welcome to our "motley crew'!

Perhaps your first "American" book should be Harry Lorayne's "memory book"!

Meanwhile, we will pray that peace will come soon.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Sari Atassi
View Profile
New user
Syria
50 Posts

Profile of Sari Atassi
Quote:
On Jan 25, 2017, Dick Oslund wrote:
Welcome Sari!

Somehow, I missed your first post last AUGUST!

So! A belated welcome to our "motley crew'!

Perhaps your first "American" book should be Harry Lorayne's "memory book"!

Meanwhile, we will pray that peace will come soon.

Mr.Oslund, what a great pleasure!

Being a reader on the Café for a while now -About 3 years-

I'm very familiar with your helpful advice over the time

And I studied Lorayne's work for a quite sometime as well

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Hopefully we'll meet around again in the forums bellow Smile))
HenryleTregetour
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of HenryleTregetour
Hi Sari,

My heart goes out to you. You are living with something that those of us outside of Syria cannot even imagine. I hope the best for you, your family, your friends, and your nation.

As for not having access to many sources for magic, the Harlan Tarbell course is made for someone just like you (and me!). It is available as a free download. Here is the link:

https://cdn.preterhuman.net/texts/manual......bell.pdf

Note that this is the original course mailed out every month or so. There is also an eight volume version which includes the original course as well as some additions.

The tricks are wonderful. However, as Dick Oslund will tell you, the most important thing(s?) to learn is (are?) the principles. The course includes 60 lessons and numbers 1,059 pages. Enjoy!

HLT
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Chasing A Dream Within a War! (7 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL