The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Trilogy Extreme by Brian Caswells and Alakazam Magic (28 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of Karl M
Who was your good magician firend? I want to buy this but may be its cheper some where else then
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Hi Karl I can't give his name out without permission but if you buy a certain d decker deck from Christian it's quite easy to make up and see how this works plus many other variants of this . It's a great effect I am just not massively into the thin cards and in particuarly letting spectators handle them ( not that I would let them ) 🙂
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2238 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2016, Tarik Flash wrote:
I have been doing this since 2010 with D deckers after a good magician friend of mine came up with it . It was put to Alakazam at the time but they wasn't interested now it seems they have released it on there own . They said then it was too close to the original to be released !

Hi Gary (Tarik),

Just to set the record straight. When Christian first released the Double Decker deck he approached Alakazam asking if we would consider using DD’s for our thin card tricks, notably Brian Caswell’s Trilogy which was very popular at the time.

Since that time we have had many people approach us with the idea of using Double Deckers (which is an obvious move forward) BUT no one actually added anything different to Brian’s original idea apart from using Double Deckers, The routine was basically the same (maybe little ideas which are great as a bonus idea but certainly not different enough to claim any originality from Brian).

We did investigate using Christian’s cards at the time but they were way too expensive and would have priced the effect out of the market.

Trilogy has been off the market for around a year now and due to our new deal with Christian we are updating all our thin card effects to use Phoenix brand cards.

Many people have ripped off Brian’s effect in the past claiming that using Double Deckers or changing the order of reveals changes the effect but in all honesty it doesn’t.
The effect was created by Brain Caswell and the sole manufacturing and marketing rights are owned by Alakazam Magic Limited.

I hope this helps

Peter Nardi
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Hi Peter , I absolutely agree with you and that is exactly what I said in my quote that the idea my friend had wasn't different enough to be released as a new effect . Like you say the d deckers have made all these types of effects much easier cleaner and there are untold ways you can go with it it's a very clever idea ie Brian's original concept and Christians d deckers which I believe Protea were making with the Phil deck plus my original Trilogy I purchased from yourself a good number of years ago . I realise the 104 cards was Christians great idea . I love them all 😊
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2238 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
Totally agree with you Gary. The DD's are an awesome quality and Brian's Trilogy is still one of my go to effects.

Always loved it and always will!

Peter
Chris Jones
View Profile
Elite user
467 Posts

Profile of Chris Jones
Beep Beep Beep - hear Gaz reverse.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Hi Chris hope you are good I actually like the 2 packet trilogy decks as the 104 cards in the d deckers can sometimes be noticeable where as with Trilogy original there are obviously less cards and seem a tad thicker too 🙂
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2238 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2016, Tarik Flash wrote:
Hi Chris hope you are good I actually like the 2 packet trilogy decks as the 104 cards in the d deckers can sometimes be noticeable where as with Trilogy original there are obviously less cards and seem a tad thicker too 🙂

To us magicians maybe Gary, I've never had a lay person question the deck.

Peter
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Yeah probably a magician thing Peter I agree 🙂
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
I purchased Thoughtwave Extreme from Alakazam a while back. I liked the core effect but certain aspects of it didn't really suit me. So that led me to search out other similar effects, which led me to Trilogy and eventually to Cataclysm. After performing those for a time I realized that I could in essence combine all of the forementioned effects into one. Which then further led me to change the method, or maybe I should say modify the method somewhat. My main concern was that this could very well be a case of "improving" a trick to it's detriment and making the effect too confusing. But after fine tuning it I have found that it plays really well and gets great reactions.

All of this is to explain why I feel that Peter's version would not be too overwhelming if performed correctly, so I have to respectfully disagree with other comments that it is "too much".
Having said that, I am fully aware that not every effect is right for everyone, and this is certainly not an effect you would probably want to perform for a rowdy group in a pub after a few adult beverages.
But in the right environment it could play very well.

My version also uses a DD deck and at the finish I leave the selected cards on the table fairly close to the spectators who selected them. About 10% of the time they will pick the cards up (usually if one spec does then the other one will also.). This is not an issue as they are ungimmicked except for the thinness. If they do pick them up then maybe another 10% of the time (so overall, a very tiny percentage) someone may comment about the thinness of the cards. I just say "yeah, they came from the dollar store because I'm too cheap to ruin a real deck" (remember, they have numbers written on the backs) and they accept that and immediately go back to talking about the effect. And this is my way of explaining why I believe the DD cards are a non-issue.

What's funny is I sometimes imagine a poor spec who commented on the card's thinness suddenly bolting up in bed a week later and exclaiming "but if the cards are so thin, then why was the deck the same thickness as any other deck???"
But if this has ever actually happened it would be great because if I can get them to think about my performance a week later then I figure I did a pretty good job.

So finally, even though I don't own Peter's new version of Trilogy, the version I've been performing is similar enough in the number of reveals made and the number of props used, that I think I can safely state that the trick should work well and get very good reactions. But again, where the practice comes in for this one is not the mechanics of the trick, but learning to present it very clearly while still keeping a brisk pace and keeping the dull spots from seeming dull. IOW, having a good presentation is even more crucial than usual if you want to succeed with this particular effect.
King14
View Profile
Loyal user
268 Posts

Profile of King14
A discount code would help us all take the leap before the release date?
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
969 Posts

Profile of TheGreatRaymondo
I have just taken the plunge and hit the 'order' button on Alakazam.
Looking forward to this one. Smile
We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have not yet deceived us...
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2016, Karl M wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2016, pegasus wrote:
Way too much going on, I agree, for a single effect. Can't be repeated. very expensive for what you get. Way too over complicated.

Probably to complecated for you to do but I will build a complete presentation around it a make it a show piece for my finalie so perfect for that I think

that's the attitude Kid Karl!!
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Shame you can't spell complicated, Karl. LMAO. Smile
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of Karl M
I have a learning difficulty so its not good why you find it funny mate
King14
View Profile
Loyal user
268 Posts

Profile of King14
Pegasus, You should try full words instead of .LMAO.

I think Peter will look after us by doing the following FTGDFTHJKIDRGTYH. LOL. ggg.frt.
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of Karl M
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2016, King14 wrote:
Pegasus, You should try full words instead of .LMAO.

I think Peter will look after us by doing the following FTGDFTHJKIDRGTYH. LOL. ggg.frt.

i tried the code aqnd it doesn't work mate
ed wood
View Profile
Special user
742 Posts

Profile of ed wood
Within just a few posts a couple of you have managed to completely expose this effect. What the hell is wrong with you?
People who have almost certainly never created anything original in their lives and have never performed for anyone but friends and family come on here and act as if they are so very knowledgeable. You couldn't give a toss about the people who create these effects, sell them or make a living performing them. Too busy acting the big man on internet forums. Shameful behaviour.
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of Karl M
Name and shame mate
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Aug 4, 2016, ed wood wrote:
Within just a few posts a couple of you have managed to completely expose this effect. What the hell is wrong with you?
People who have almost certainly never created anything original in their lives and have never performed for anyone but friends and family come on here and act as if they are so very knowledgeable. You couldn't give a toss about the people who create these effects, sell them or make a living performing them. Too busy acting the big man on internet forums. Shameful behaviour.

Ed wood, not sure what post(s) you are referring to exactly but I don't believe this effect has been completely exposed as you claim. But after Peter spoke very freely about the particular cards used in his post (and he owns the trick) I felt it okay to speak freely as well. Otherwise I wouldn't have.

Also, this is a forum that allows a certain amount of speculation so if some were made then that is a common thing to do here. Usually the problem comes in when one member speculates and then another chimes in to complain that they have just exposed the trick, essentially confirming the speculation. Not sure what the case is you are referring to since I don't have time to read back over every post and try and piece it all together but as I already said, I don't think this effect has been exposed. I doubt that those that don't know have enough info to engineer the effect themselves. But if by chance you believe I was one of the culprits then by all means report my post and see if it can be removed. I have no problem with that.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Trilogy Extreme by Brian Caswells and Alakazam Magic (28 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL