The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Find a "competitor" (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1063 Posts

Profile of Nash
Watch this vid of Steve Jobs vs Bill Gates in an open forum: probably the 2 biggest competitors in our modern world, and the ONLY two competitors in their respective world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw8x7ASpRIY

You can sense an underlying "battle" between each other. But truthfully, without their unspoken competitiveness against each other, as well as their mutual respect, our world wouldn't have been where it is today. Competition drives growth. Don't ever see your fellow magician as an 'enemy', value your "competitors" , they are the added reason why you grow.

Just as important as it is to find a mentor, find yourself a "competitor", s/he will be one of those people that drives you to greatness at the end of the day.
Don't give up, don't EVER give up.

Corporate magician - Nash Fung
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20019 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea I don't really think so.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
My situation is very unique. I live in a performing arts hot spot. Unfortunately the market is severely saturated with part time musicians. Now common wisdom says that I have the novel advantage over them since I'm not a musician.
My biggest challenge right now currently is breaking that plateau of comfort that the public in my area has.
I also subscribe to the belief that I am not in competition with anyone other than myself.
I will repeat that... I also subscribe to the belief that I am not in competition with anyone other than myself.
I will explain more on this belief....

My golf coach came up to me one day during lessons and noticed that I was trying to imitate the swings you see on TV. He stopped me and asked me why I was doing what I was doing. I said I saw it on TV and it worked for that individual. He gave me a lecture that I will remember for the rest of my days... I could never be or be capable of doing what the others do. I don't have the same physiological makeup they do and I needed to find my own swing and own it.

This is the trap I see a lot of people in our field get themselves into... they try to be or try to be better than someone else. That is never possible.

The best competitor for you is you. Know your strengths and work on your weaknesses. That is how you become the best. Competition with someone else will just lead to headache and disappointment because (unless the other person is your twin) you do not have the advantages and disadvantages that they have.

Now Competition =/= rivalry. Rivalry is trying to constantly outdo someone else. Tesla and Edison were rivals. Gates and Jobs were rivals.
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
Quote:
On Aug 8, 2016, Nash wrote:
Watch this vid of Steve Jobs vs Bill Gates in an open forum: probably the 2 biggest competitors in our modern world, and the ONLY two competitors in their respective world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw8x7ASpRIY

You can sense an underlying "battle" between each other. But truthfully, without their unspoken competitiveness against each other, as well as their mutual respect, our world wouldn't have been where it is today. Competition drives growth. Don't ever see your fellow magician as an 'enemy', value your "competitors" , they are the added reason why you grow.

Just as important as it is to find a mentor, find yourself a "competitor", s/he will be one of those people that drives you to greatness at the end of the day.

Unless you are talking about rivalry - the only person that is going to drive you anywhere is yourself.
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20019 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
OH YES YES YES! Sir you made the point PERFECTLY.

If it is a rivalry that drives you that is an issue.

Be the BEST YOU that you can possibly be! For this there is no competition. It also makes it easier to sell, pick effects, and have a career.

Thank you for writing that.

That is why magic in general drives me NUTS! A whole bunch of guys trying all to duplicate what they think "success" is and failing miserably at it. Everyone wanting to either write or buy a "course" on success. It is about becoming YOU. The world already has a Copperfield, a Blaine and on and on. But what the world does not have is another YOU! WHOEVER YOU ARE!!!

If you somehow require an outside stimulus to drive you to greatness, you have picked the WRONG career.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9761 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I couldn't agree more myself. If you are operating on a level where competition is a concern of yours it is likely because you are allowing that to happen and haven't done something to make yourself unique or separate from the pack.

I agree with the perception of rivalry. Rivalry can make one strive to be a better "you". I always enjoyed the Brian Wilson/Beach Boys - McCartney/Lennon rivalry. Brian heard Rubber Soul and it inspired him to write Pet Sounds. Paul and John hear Pet Sounds and it takes them to create and write Sgt. Peppers. Rivalry can be personally inspiring and quite beneficial. The competition for "keeping up with the Jones'" or trying to be something you are not out of envy is not the same, nor as healthy or productive.

Danny said "That is why magic in general drives me NUTS! A whole bunch of guys trying all to duplicate what they think "success" is and failing miserably at it. Everyone wanting to either write or buy a "course" on success. It is about becoming YOU. The world already has a Copperfield, a Blaine and on and on. But what the world does not have is another YOU! WHOEVER YOU ARE!!!"

This is exactly why when I release products or resources it is NOT form my personal perspective or own experience of how and what I have done. The best than could create are wanna-be's trying to copy what I have done. Instead, I offer everything, including my posts and insights here, on a larger picture of the industry based on my knowledge and experience, and offer the information to allow the student or reader to develop who and what they are in a way and means more specific to them. Huge difference. This is actually what I seem to get commended on the most. It's taking this factual information and adapting it or implementing it to you, your business and your goals, targets, etc. This is why a kids magician, a mentalist, a comedian, a singer or band, a guest speaker, or a inflatable/bounce house company (regardless of type of entertainer, market, level of experience or markets) can benefit from such resources. This is also why often conventional business approaches and techniques fail entertainers.

This is hugely different that when you hear guys say this is my Gazillion Dollar Magic Course...(that almost always references "Marketing Course", which in reality is the last thing many purchasing it truly need) that is also for mentalists, jugglers, restaurant workers, etc. No it's not, not really. You are talking about what YOU did, doing WHAT you do. It really isn't as easy as just adapt it to whatever you do and whatever markets you serve. That's why when I read reviews here where someone raves about a book, course or DVD, I always ask what type of performer and market it was crated for because they all do not serve the same.

You do have to separate yourself from trying just to become someone else who currently exists/ You need structure, techniques, information and processes that allow you to establish yourself as your own unique offering to hopefully stand alone.

The only time I consider "competition" is when it comes to a general picture usually related to budgets. If a company or client only has $5k to spend on entertainment, then any or every type of entertainer or entertainment (or other) that could be considered in that budget for consideration is of "competing" for a piece of that budget. However if you have done things correctly in positioning, establishing and presenting/selling your business, I know I will be there first (and often only or priorative) choice which leaves the others to compete for any possible remaining budget.
Keith Raygor
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
969 Posts

Profile of Keith Raygor
Quote:
On Aug 8, 2016, Mindpro wrote:
That's why when I read reviews here where someone raves about a book, course or DVD, I always ask what type of performer and market it was crated for because they all do not serve the same.

That is a great question. Mindpro, with regard to the materials you sell that you mentioned above, what type of performer and what type of market are they created for?

Going back to the original poster, I've had several friends that were also competitors in the marketplace. We drove each other to be better performers and business people. It is a normal phenomenon, and not only do the clients benefit, but so do the entertainers. Your comments are spot on, Nash.

Of course, we motivate ourselves. But that is not the only place motivation and inspiration come from.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2241 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
I’ve always contended my biggest competition was myself. If I can conquer laziness and the lack of discipline I will easily defeat any competitor.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I have booked private lessons from "experienced pros". I do not at all doubt that they are/were very successful in their markets. But they tried to teach me what *they* did and how *they* thought, and I came away with very little - because I am not them.

I've purchased a lot of "business products" from people that are raved about on here and elsewhere. Everything from seminars to prepackaged shows. I have the materials, but they don't fit me, so in that sense only they don't work.

Quote:
Of course, we motivate ourselves. But that is not the only place motivation and inspiration come from.

I find that if I can't fire up motivation from within, external motivation quickly dies. I have to decide what *I* want and what I am willing to sacrifice for. Then external motivation has something to stick to.

Quote:
If I can conquer laziness and the lack of discipline I will easily defeat any competitor.

Ouch!!! This - more than another book!!

Ed
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1063 Posts

Profile of Nash
Quote:
On Aug 8, 2016, ibm_usa wrote:
The best competitor for you is you. [...]
Now Competition =/= rivalry. Rivalry is trying to constantly outdo someone else. Tesla and Edison were rivals. Gates and Jobs were rivals.

:)
Your description of a rival is exactly what I meant in my original post of a 'competitor' - someone who is constantly trying to outdo you.
no matter what market you are in, no matter how unique you think you've became, you'll always have a rival/competitor eventually (keyword = "eventually").
I've seen a lot of people going through great ends of worrying about "how they can outdo their rival tomorrow", yet end up losing because they've spent their precious time "worrying" and "envying" or "hating" what their rival does ... yet my point is, going back to my original post, instead of having ill will towards your rival, VALUE them.

Because at the end of your journey, when you retire, when you look back, you'll see that it was your rival (or in my vocabulary your competitor) that is always putting you on guard, keeping you on your toes to always better yourself, and in the end, you have pushed yourself harder not JUST because you want to be better than yourself, but as an added bonus, you want to be better than the person you ran against.

Just like the Olympics, Usain Bolt is running against his last record, but in the same time, he also has to beat his competitor, his running mate, Justin Gatlin Smile
Competing against others and yourself are not mutually exclusive, but these two tracks are imperative in one's growth. And these 2 tracks are healthy to your growth.
Don't give up, don't EVER give up.

Corporate magician - Nash Fung
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20019 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
No they are not imperative.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Find a "competitor" (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL