We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups & Balls: Sitting? Or Standing? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

karnak
View Profile
Elite user
Colorado
448 Posts

Profile of karnak
With regard to performance, is either approach (sitting or standing) more common, or more traditional, than the other?

Which way do you prefer to present the cups & balls, and why? (Or do you really not have a preference, either way?)
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
Spent all this time on the Cafe' and all I have to show for it is
445 Posts

Profile of friend2cptsolo
To me there is a certain "fairness" to standing during a routine like that, that somehow it is harder for the magician to "hide" things from audience.... I am not sure that thought really translates over for lay people. Also the answer to this question is really about the magician's performance style. If a magician did an entire show standing up and then for this one trick he sat down I might think something fishy.
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
789 Posts

Profile of danaruns
I think it depends on the venue, and not tradition. And I don't think there's a "more common." Cups and balls is a versatile routine. It can be done close-up or parlor. If it is done during a show that is performed sitting, then sitting is more appropriate. If it's done during a parlor show, then standing is better. Dai Vernon did it both ways. I do it both ways. (And that is the only time that Vernon and I will ever be uttered in the same breath.) It just depends on what else is going on. I'm not going to suddenly stand to do it if I've been sitting, nor will I sit if I've been standing.
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3889 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
I work on both. Standing allows the magician to be more physically dynamic, if that is their persona; sitting is more intimate, and if done well can be quite intense.

Loading from seated need not be obvious, just look at Al Schneider's Classic Cups routine: the loading is exquisite.
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
445 Posts

tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3889 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
On Aug 18, 2016, friend2cptsolo wrote:
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvE0gTouogg
al Schneider

It's so nice, eh?

Loading can happen so very early in the day. Smile
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston MO
1418 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
That was beautiful. What is he using for balls. I prefer to do it standing myself
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
445 Posts

I am so surprised by the load in that in that video. I know what is coming but I did not catch it the first couple of times.
Very subtle on the movement.
Abernathy Jones
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Abernathy Jones
I perform on the sidewalks with my little show so standing is the way to go for me. I have gone out with friends and performed sitting at a table with my cups but only a few times.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2046 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Sitting definitely has it's advantages, especially for the finale. I love John Mendoza's finish to his routine.
I love watching Ricky Jay, in his version of the cups & balls warrants doing it standing up.

Jake Sr.
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I prefer to stand. Vernon often did it sitting, and then stood for the final loads.
Blaine G
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Blaine G
Standing is likely a more traditional method, based on the tricks origins in the way back days. However, neither is preferred (by me).
I have learned to perform both ways. Standing provides for far more body movement and activity, but I find sitting allows for easier lapping of loads, balls etc.
Coolmanclyde
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Coolmanclyde
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2016, tomsk192 wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 18, 2016, friend2cptsolo wrote:
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvE0gTouogg
al Schneider

It's so nice, eh?

Loading can happen so very early in the day. Smile

Great routine. What exactly is he saying when he turns the cup? Sounds like "annnnd well leave it locked on the table". That doesn't sound right. Am I hearing this wrong?
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Special user
974 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
It sounds like "Of course the cup is empty, and we'll leave it mouth down on the table."
LoganPorterMagic
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of LoganPorterMagic
Sitting down definitely feels more intimate.
Coolmanclyde
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Coolmanclyde
Quote:
On Oct 5, 2016, tonsofquestions wrote:
It sounds like "Of course the cup is empty, and we'll leave it mouth down on the table."

Ahhh-ha. I hear it clear as day now. Thanks.

I have been practicing more standing up because it does allow for more animation and I feel more deceptive. Seems like sitting might take more skill and smoother movements. I'll get there one day.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups & Balls: Sitting? Or Standing? (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL