The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » 13 Steps to Mentalism by Corinda (31 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8091 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
YOU WILL FIND THE CORINDA THIRTEEN STEPS VERY VALUABLE.

THERE HAVE BEEN "UPDATES" IN PRINCIPLES, BUT, YOU WON'T REGRET READING IT.

(I USED CAPS, TO HELP YOU READ THIS. GOOD LUCK!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
BlindWizard
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of BlindWizard
Thank you Dick Oslund. I really appreciate your input and support.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8091 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Nov 27, 2016, donny wrote:
Simply it (Corinda) is outdated, like some of the advice here. eh Dick?

I've seen three of your posts, and, they're all negative. You're the only one who is out of step!

It's a hekkuva lot better to be a "has been", than a "never was"!
RobertlewisIR
View Profile
Veteran user
Colorado
367 Posts

Profile of RobertlewisIR
Seems to me that 13 Steps is indeed a good book. Is some of it outdated? Sure. Does even more of it still work as long as you know how to write an updated script? Of course. And it mightn't be to everyone's liking, either. Not a book in the world will be. But at the end of the day, I'd recommend it without reservation, especially for beginners. But neither it nor any other book should be considered a complete resource on its own. It's a good start, and a good reference, but everyone should read as extensively as possible of both newer and older books.
~Bob

----------

Last night, I dreamed I ate the world's largest marshmallow. When I woke up, the pillow was gone.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8091 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Absolutely right, Bob!

E.g.: Scot's "Discoverie of Witchcraft" has PRINCIPLES! The first trick that I learned (at age 8) was "...to separate knotts with werdes..." (That's a "rough" quote! from Scot's opus.)I learned it from a sideshow magician on the Bud E. Anderson Wild Animal Circus" on July 4, 1941. (Bud Anderson of "Seal Bros. Circus") That magician showed me how the trick that in later years became known as the "Slydini Knots" was DONE. I had learned how it was DONE. It took me (remember, I was 8) a couple years to learn how to DO it! --and, a few more years, to learn how to DO it, so that it ENTERTAINED people! --All that, before I had seen or met Slydini!

Yup! Scot's book was written 500+/- years ago, but, with modern thinking and updating, the knot trick still amazes and entertains real people. (I've been performing it for Kindergarten kids, high school adolescents, and young ladies and gentlemen in colleges, and older adults, too, for well over fifty years.

Donny's "thinking" (C.f. his three posts above) demonstrated very shallow thinking! Perhaps, he may "become educated"! His thinking reminds me of the old Navy "sea story": A ship was heading out to sea, and the shore was no longer in sight. A young sailor, on his first cruise, was standing at the ship's rail, with an "old salt". The young sailor, looking out at the vast ocean, exclaimed, "Man! There's a lot of water out there!" The veteran of many voyages, smiled, and said, "What you see is just the top of it!"

Books, unread, on a shelf, contain only potential knowledge!
SevenSigma
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
151 Posts

Profile of SevenSigma
Hi Dick,

that sailor story nicely sums it up and is both funny and thoughtful.

Jens
It takes a baby in the belly six months to learn how to put the thumb in the mouth.

The rest of life is essentially the same problem.

Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8091 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Jens!

Looking back to when "it all started" (for me) in 1945, I never had the slightest idea that someday I would be writing letters to magicians all over the world! --More than that, I NEVER DREAMED that someday I would write a book about my life and experiences with magic that would be selling on four continents!

It has been a wonderfilled life!

Thanks for your kind thoughts!

Dick
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6657 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Bob Cassidy's The Thirty-Nine Steps to Mentalism:

https://www.lybrary.com/thirtynine-steps-mentalism-a-10.html

Doug
HeronsHorse
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland
200 Posts

Profile of HeronsHorse
Of course it is outdated. That's why I love it. Most new stuff is built on it's foundations.
And ... I don't even know what I'm talking about.
But I've practiced magic for two years.
Smile
ValeCavaliero
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of ValeCavaliero
Also I suggest you to start studying Annemann's work. Most of the materials still kills
Shoreline99
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Shoreline99
This is no doubt that it is a bible of mentalism. But, I think we tend to forget that the content leans towards the type of mind-reading. It might be that we think so because there are only a few books that are summarized about mentalism.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » 13 Steps to Mentalism by Corinda (31 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL