The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Disneyland... Mickey Who? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2488 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
For those not local, or those who have not heard the Disneyland (Actually California Adventure, the Disney park next door) attraction, "The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror" will soon be no more. It was never one of my favorites, but it is one of the more thrilling of the Disney rides. The mechanical ride will still be there, but it is being re-themed to feature "The Guardians of the Galaxy."

I knew this was coming. The day I heard that Disney bought Marvel comics I knew. Lets face it. Comic book characters and Comic book movies attract a very different audience than a Micky Mouse cartoon would. I am not saying it is a bad thing, but I see a time when the innocence and beauty of all things Disney are gone, replaced by icons that demonstrate the worship of the almighty dollar.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of rockwall
"Comic book characters and Comic book movies attract a very different audience than a Micky Mouse cartoon would."

Yeah, one attracts a kid from last century, the other attracts a kid from this century. Smile
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5828 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Disney was not (and is not) about that nostalgic "innocence and beauty" which many today label it with. That impression only comes when looking backward through time at it. Disney today is doing much the same as it did early on, but adjusted for the realities of today.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2754 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Sep 8, 2016, Cliffg37 wrote:
For those not local, or those who have not heard the Disneyland (Actually California Adventure, the Disney park next door) attraction, "The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror" will soon be no more. It was never one of my favorites, but it is one of the more thrilling of the Disney rides. The mechanical ride will still be there, but it is being re-themed to feature "The Guardians of the Galaxy."

I knew this was coming. The day I heard that Disney bought Marvel comics I knew. Lets face it. Comic book characters and Comic book movies attract a very different audience than a Micky Mouse cartoon would. I am not saying it is a bad thing, but I see a time when the innocence and beauty of all things Disney are gone, replaced by icons that demonstrate the worship of the almighty dollar.

The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror had nothing to do with the innocence and beauty of all things Disney.
In fact, your last line could have been attributed to Disney putting UP the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror.
Disney want Marvel (and Star Wars) because it just couldn't develop characters that would attract the teen boy market.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1368 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Does anyone remember when the Yippies took over Tom Sawyer's Island? Lynn
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2754 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Let's not forget that the home to "classic" Disney is Disneyland in California and The Magic Kingdom in Florida.

TZ-ToT is in neither of those places, so changing it doesn't effect "classic" Disney at all.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16239 Posts

Profile of tommy
I am more of a fan of the old classic Disney than the new stuff. I have never been to Disney Land but I do have an old classic leather flying jacket from Disney with Micky Mouse on. I love the paintings on the old USA airplanes
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20542 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The thing to remember that all the innocence and beauty was just a way to make an all mighty dollar from day one. It was marketing pure and simple nothing more.

They are moving forward. The stockholders love it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I don't think so. I think that if you go back to Walt, he had a vision. He was already rich and successful, but wanted something more....

What he wanted none of us know. But it was more than money. He was a visionary. A strange visionary to be sure, but a visionary nonetheless.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16239 Posts

Profile of tommy
Every artist is a story teller, each piece tells a tale. Or at least there ought to be some meaning or idea about the work. I think that is what makes people buy it or into it. Magicians are like live fantasy characters and the absurdity of magic is what makes it amusing. I is all very magical don't you think?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20542 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Sep 14, 2016, stoneunhinged wrote:
I don't think so. I think that if you go back to Walt, he had a vision. He was already rich and successful, but wanted something more....

What he wanted none of us know. But it was more than money. He was a visionary. A strange visionary to be sure, but a visionary nonetheless.

So was Steve Jobs.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Yes, Steve Jobs was also a visionary.

But he's dead, and so is Walt. So we get: iPhone 7 and Guardians of the Galaxy.

I ain't complaining.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20542 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If ol Walt didn't care about money why charge to get into the park in the first place?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16239 Posts

Profile of tommy
People don't fly on airplanes but on magic carpets called money.

Tommy
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On Sep 15, 2016, Dannydoyle wrote:
If ol Walt didn't care about money why charge to get into the park in the first place?

Oh, he cared about money, of course. But he was also creepy about creating some kind of cosmetically perfect world free of all blemishes and defects, and such a Vision goes beyond the simple quest for a buck. It's bigger and weirder than that. It's more like ART. Walt was an ARTIST at heart. If an artist can make a fortune, that doesn't stop them from being an artist.

And another point: had they not charged to get into the park, it would have been overrun. It was enormously popular from day one. Now they charge an obscenely large amount of money (I actually find the entrance fee to be morally offensive) but hey, the park is full.

And one last point: I may be full of doodie. I'm basing my views on a documentary I saw. Full disclosure requires me to admit that I never met Walt Disney personally, though I have been to three of his parks.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2488 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I live 12 miles from Disneyland and while there are some discounts available, and some package deals as well, it basically costs an adult $100 to walk through the gate. then there is the preposterous cost of food. My daughter is now 16, and we have not been there in a couple of years. The sad truth is that we really need to think about it carefully if we are to drop $400 (parking gate and food)on one day of entertainment. It really bothers me.

But, on the other side of the coin, what is Disney providing for the money? A lot.

1) top level kids entertainment (some big kids like me enjoy it too)
2) Lots of services. Spill a tray of food on the ground somewhere, it will be spotted and cleaned in less than two minutes.
3) Rides are well maintained, clean and family oriented.
4) Safety. There are very few incidents that happen there (yes there have been some that are well publicized)
5) Salaries. Lots of minimum wage earners, but lots of them. Many people on staff are not minimum wage.
6) I have no idea what there utilities bill must be, but it must be amazingly high.

So while we can complain about prices, the cost is high and sure, they make their money, but maybe not as much as we think.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20542 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You don't have to guess what they make. It is published for shareholders.

Like I said it is about money. Even for Disney. To think otherwise is naive.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2016, tommy wrote:
I am more of a fan of the old classic Disney than the new stuff. I have never been to Disney Land but I do have an old classic leather flying jacket from Disney with Micky Mouse on. I love the paintings on the old USA airplanes

You mean like this one?

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On Sep 8, 2016, Cliffg37 wrote:

If you are right, and sadly you may be, that is the most profoundly sad thing I can ever imagine.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17665 Posts

Profile of Slim King
There is growing push back here in Florida...

Even in California it seems ... https://www.change.org/p/the-walt-disney......f-terror
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5RzEt02s30
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Disneyland... Mickey Who? (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL