The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Escape performance tips (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicman222
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of magicman222
Hi I'm doing a small 10 minute escape at a school talent show. my line up is

lighning shackle escape
mailbag
packing crate

its gona be fun and ive practiced alot. what are some tips you can give me on my first performance and with using these items. thx
EscapeMaster
View Profile
Loyal user
292 Posts

Profile of EscapeMaster
Dear magicman222,

My tip would be to do just one of those three. Definitely drop the shackle escape and I would recommend using the mailbag in this instance. As you are at school you can save the packing crate for a future performance.

The reason I recommend this move is because I believe in the realism of escapes rather than those that are simply for entertainment.

Escapology is an extraordinarily powerful vehicle for affecting people if treated in the right fashion and I believe it is a waste if your primary goal is merely to entertain. You should aim deeper.

I might clarify that point before I am jumped upon by certain characters. Of course, 'entertainment' is the only reason you would ever give a performance. But some hold entertainment to mean making the audience laugh, keeping them smiling and so on. The truth is, people will be far more profoundly entertained in the literal sense of the word if you provide them with an intense and vivid mystery.

If you provide such a mystery after a good fashion, the audience's entertainment will necessarily follow.

It is for this reason that I believe the escape material itself is what one should fundamentally hold as the most important factor in programming far above anything else.

(For those who disagree, I believe it is because you do not properly understand what I am saying. Re-read the above and if you still do not agree I believe it must be lack of clarity on my part. My apologies.)

Let us take a comparable medium for the profound mystery of which I speak: spoonbending.

If you have ever seen a mentalist give a performance you will know the impact of spoonbending. But if you have never seen Uri Geller, you have missed an impact two hundred times greater.

Geller will talk to an audience for an hour. Just talk. It is effectively build up. He describes his history, his adventures in an air of anticipation and at the end, he will spend just two minutes bending maybe just two spoons.

But, paradoxically, the impact is far greater than that mentalist's six minute routine which nestles amoung a host of other amazing effects.

And people ask why Geller makes people believe. Well, that is why. Less is most definitely more. A hideous cliche which has lost its meaning but if you consider the psychological implications in the differences between these two performances it is easy to see why one is far greater than the other.

So, cutting back to the chase, you can either reel through a host of escapes (which prove what?) or you can connect with your audience, tell them why you do escapes, what they mean to you, how you learn and train, what you are going to attempt to do, what you hope it will mean for them. Get them emotionally involved. And remember, all this does not preclude that superficial entertainment I mentioned earlier. This is well within your capabilities, do not shy away from it.

Then escape from that sack. You will be a star.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Agreed save the crate for another time.

This is a very tough crowd. Younger, internet savy, and ready to bust you if they can. You won't get this type of reaction from an older crowd. You will need to be just a bit more deceptive with this group to get the reaction you are after.

Also combine the shackles and mailbag. Ditch the regulation bar and use a lock and chain. The bar method is internet overexposed. If you want help with the lock and chain, feel free to PM me for details.

I don't know if you have the cash to spend, but the EARL has an aftermarket mailbag bar that you should check out if you do.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
I definitely agree with Steve and Mike. You're planning way too much for a "small 10 minute act" (what are you planning for a BIG, 30 minute show?)
It's not about how many escapes you do, but how well you do them. Steve will probably disagree here but I see no harm in combining the shakle escape with the mail bag as Mike suggested.
One thing I might caution you on is speaking too much. I don't know the age range of your target audience, but I do know some young people seem to get bored very quickly. So unless you're a captivating orator like Steve, if you get into a big drawn out explanation to a bunch of zit covered teenagers shooting spit balls at each other, about how you want them to "feel" during your escape you may just end up escaping from the stage. Sorry Steve, I'm not jumping on you, and I hope that you don't consider me one of those "characters" you were refering to, and I do agree with most of what you say,(I read your post three times, just to make sure Smile) but my experiences with adolescents have not always been favorable, and I know how they tend to goof on one of there own even more so than on the poor magician hired to do an assembly show at their school. Also many talent shows have very exiting up beat dance numbers and singers that grab your attention right away. I'm leaning toward suggesting a fast paced, high energy performance with some fast, loud, and popular music. I think you will need to command their attention from the get go. I know it's superficial and flashy, but as you said, we cannot discount the enetertainment factor. I might also suggest trying out the "profound connection" approach for an older audience first. But I hope you try Steve's approach Magicman, and I hope you prove me wrong. Good luck with the show. Please let us know how it turns out.
Best regards, Tony Parisi
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
954 Posts

Profile of Riley
Does your packing crate method allow for the lid to be nailed in place by some of the specs? It it does, supply plenty of nails and some extra hammers, you'll soon use ten minutes but don't take too long with the release. I think the packing crate is a great escape and always will be.

Good luck

Riley
magicman222
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of magicman222
Whoa. you misunderstood me. I'm in shackles, in a mailbag, inside a packing crate. the packing crate is nailed and locked shut.
AJP807
View Profile
Special user
New York City
559 Posts

Profile of AJP807
Uuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhh ok. I actually was thinking of suggesting that, but thought it might be too much for you. Tony
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
I thought that about two seconds after clicking.
You stated that you have practiced the mechanical part of the escape.

That being the case you need to work on timing,lights music, and a scripted rehearsal.

Safety wise: oxygen, assistant training and practice and due to confined space, a signal to call it off.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
954 Posts

Profile of Riley
Have a few one inch diameter holes pre-drilled in each side of the packing case. Houdini did this for light, air and ********** PM me if you don't have the ********** part.

Riley
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
The most important thing about concealed escapes in front of a young audience is to have a person or two on the outside, someone you can trust, who will look after your interests.
Any escapologist who has worked for young crowds will know what I am talking about !!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Escape performance tips (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL