The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Schoolcraft flipper (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ceme20
View Profile
Regular user
162 Posts

Profile of ceme20
I just received my Schoolcraft flipper. I am absolutely stunned. It is a masterpiece. When I first looked at it I thought Jamie made a mistake and sent me a real coin instead of a gaffed one. Then before I knew it there were two coins sitting in my hand! It is the good news/bad news thing. The coin is so precision made I am afraid of working with it in case I drop it! 🙃
The Magical stage parallels that of the Stage of Life. We can step off, re-direct, and Create new Miracles as easily, and as naturally as taking in a breath...
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1468 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Just make sure that you don't spend it.
"But there isn't a door"
elainevblaine
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of elainevblaine
If you are stunned looking at a Schoolcraft flipper, you might have a heart attack if you ever see the Lassen original design, as opposed to that glued together, mixed metal contraption. Seriously.

And by all means, don't drop it. I've seen these FALL APART with NORMAL handling. The glued in insert starts becoming detached, then you're left with half of a half dollar's worth of silver.

The Lassen model is ingeniously designed to NOT have any added parts, nothing to fall apart or break.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2048 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2016, elainevblaine wrote:
The Lassen model is ingeniously designed to NOT have any added parts, nothing to fall apart or break.


In fact, it's so simple and clean looking, the multi-part method probably gives some the impression it must be more difficult to do, but I suspect the apparent simplicity of Lassen's flipper belies the skill needed to actually make it.
Charles Gaff
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of Charles Gaff
Lol, I'm sure your flipper is awesome. Use it until it can't take it no more!
jamo425
View Profile
Loyal user
256 Posts

Profile of jamo425
When I first got my Oxf set from Schoolcraft and started playing with the flipper, I dropped it on the carpet by accident. Even though it supposedly comes with a fresh el****c, it fell apart. Luckily I had some extra lying around and was able to fix it. Haven't had any problems with the little insert piece. I used DST and it's never come apart.

Overall it's great quality and am extremely happy with the set. If I had to nitpick, my only gripe would be that you can see the rim of the shell on the bad side, there is a tiny bit of space between the insert and shell which is why I think the rim is visible. I think this is necessary in order for the flipper to operate properly though. Especially since the insert is milled, if there is no space, the insert won't open as easily.

I've always been curious about Lassen's work. The next coin gaff I buy may be from him.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3301 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2016, elainevblaine wrote:
If you are stunned looking at a Schoolcraft flipper, you might have a heart attack if you ever see the Lassen original design, as opposed to that glued together, mixed metal contraption. Seriously.

And by all means, don't drop it. I've seen these FALL APART with NORMAL handling. The glued in insert starts becoming detached, then you're left with half of a half dollar's worth of silver.

The Lassen model is ingeniously designed to NOT have any added parts, nothing to fall apart or break.


I think the only heart attack you would have is if Todd Lassen actually replied to you rather than the excellent quality of his work......also heaven forbid you should receive anything faulty from him but if you needed to contact him to put it right it would take months for him to get back to you if he did at all that is as customer service isn't really his strong point.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On Dec 16, 2016, warren wrote:
....also heaven forbid you should receive anything faulty from him but if you needed to contact him to put it right it would take months for him to get back to you if he did at all that is as customer service isn't really his strong point.


I don't recognize TL from the above. Hmmm... So, in every instance, TL either takes months to get back to a customer, or just ignores it, totally? Of course, this is not true. It is well-known that the best way to communicate with Todd is to call him, but people ignore that for some reason and then complain about response time (yes, this can be troublesome for prospective customers outside of the USA...but with just a small amount of research they would find a similarly easy way of reaching him if they cared to put in the effort it would take to find out).

Another thing, I know TL's response time sometimes (not always) lags re: emails from new/prospective customers, but I have never, ever heard a single complaint from someone who had a problem that wasn't addressed promptly. Maybe that is - in part - due to high standards of customer service, such as making sure the product is right before shipping.

When you approach a man in business for himself, you don't tell him how he should do it, you ask yourself (and then find out), "How does this guy prefer to do things?" Then do that. I've never had an issue or delay with Todd. He has always been courteous and helpful.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Charles Gaff
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of Charles Gaff
I've learned that the amount and thickness of tape will effect the insert fits in the shell. Try to put it in with no band or tape, then with the band, and see if there is any difference. Trying to find the thinnest tape has helped me a bunch. Occasionally, I consider sanding the insert a bit to fit exactly, but then you would have to commit to a certain tape for the life of the gaff.

Keep anything you find helpful.

Charles
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3301 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Dec 16, 2016, Chessmann wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 16, 2016, warren wrote:
....also heaven forbid you should receive anything faulty from him but if you needed to contact him to put it right it would take months for him to get back to you if he did at all that is as customer service isn't really his strong point.


I don't recognize TL from the above. Hmmm... So, in every instance, TL either takes months to get back to a customer, or just ignores it, totally? Of course, this is not true. It is well-known that the best way to communicate with Todd is to call him, but people ignore that for some reason and then complain about response time (yes, this can be troublesome for prospective customers outside of the USA...but with just a small amount of research they would find a similarly easy way of reaching him if they cared to put in the effort it would take to find out).


Another thing, I know TL's response time sometimes (not always) lags re: emails from new/prospective customers, but I have never, ever heard a single complaint from someone who had a problem that wasn't addressed promptly. Maybe that is - in part - due to high standards of customer service, such as making sure the product is right before shipping.

When you approach a man in business for himself, you don't tell him how he should do it, you ask yourself (and then find out), "How does this guy prefer to do things?" Then do that. I've never had an issue or delay with Todd. He has always been courteous and helpful.


Unfortunately I'm from the UK so I've not had any luck when I've tried to contact him so therefore whilst his customer service might be good for those living local to him it's not very good for those of us that live outside the USA if you know of another way of contacting him other than calling him please feel free to enlighten me......This is of course by no means a slur on the mans ability to make fantastic products but at the end of the day you can only go on your own experiences and mine have been less than great after all whats the point of giving out an email address as a method of contact if your not going to actually bother responding to emails, much better to just give a phone number and state orders by phone only.As for me the man is more of a myth than a real person, Jamie Schoolcraft on the other hand looks after his business on both sides of the pond so therefore scores bonus points for customer service :-D
Charles Gaff
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of Charles Gaff
Blah blah blah...

So if OP is still reading this hijacked thread, how do you like your flipper? Have you had a chance to work with it?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Schoolcraft flipper (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.52 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL