We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » What was the first card trick? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

shouksmiths
View Profile
Regular user
York, England
108 Posts

Profile of shouksmiths
My son Peter tonight asked me what the first ever card trick was!

Great question

Does anyone know or have a suggestion?
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
I would imagine the first card trick involved cheating at gambling, perhaps by palming a card and adding it to a later hand. The person being cheated demanded to be shown how it was done, and the card sharp offered to sell an instructional video teaching that move and four others for just $19.95. And thus, an industry was born.
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Sep 21, 2016, Doug Trouten wrote:
I would imagine the first card trick involved cheating at gambling, perhaps by palming a card and adding it to a later hand. The person being cheated demanded to be shown how it was done, and the card sharp offered to sell an instructional video teaching that move and four others for just $19.95. And thus, an industry was born.

But, this is all the ads showed...

~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Naah! It's the "18" card trick. After it was first disclosed at a "stated meeting" of the SECRET SIX in a lecture by Jon Racherbaumer (assisted by Harry Lorrayne and Ricky Jaye) it was renamed the "21" card trick, in their honor.

It's the only card trick that I know. (I can't do a Biddle, Elmsley, or a Charlier) and I do it once a year on my birthday in honor of The Professor and/or Nate Leipzig, as the case may be

I must confess that I usually screw it up (I can't do a good DL).
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Quote:
On Sep 20, 2016, shouksmiths wrote:
My son Peter tonight asked me what the first ever card trick was!

Great question

Does anyone know or have a suggestion?

That's easy. 52 pickup.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
52 pick up is not a magic trick. 52 pick up is a failed jugggling bit. When I do the fancy shuffles, that's juggling. When I miss, it's >>>51<<< pick up. (I'm not playing with a full deck. (Old joke, but, it fit in here.)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Maybe it's not magic, but it is a trick.
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
I think Dick Oslund is probably right. After all, he was there!
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3211 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
"Discoverie Of Witchcraft" by Reginald Scot (1584) has a chapter on card magic, so we can assume tricks with cards went right on back to the invention of the playing cards, probably in Imperial China as early as 9th century Tang China (868 AD). The early cards were all handmade so forget about rough and smooth and think rough and rougher. My guess is that the first card trick was related to the "pick a card, any card; now I gotta find it" school of "magic."
leonardoglass
View Profile
New user
Rio Grande do Sul, Brasil
8 Posts

Profile of leonardoglass
Hi everyone!

1408, Paris, France. There's a letter in which is described a group of gamblers who did a close to "three card monte scam". Althought it is not a real card trick, it's has the same mechanics of it.

But if we talk about an entertaining card trick, about 1498 brother Luca Pacioli wrote "De viribus quantitatis" with contribution of the young Leonardo da Vinci. In this book, they describe a trick in the same shape of a second sight trick. This description still talks about how change the divination method for the conjurer not be caught.

In my researches, this was the farest I could go. Hope it could help!

Greetings from Brazil!
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Quote:
On Sep 30, 2016, leonardoglass wrote:
But if we talk about an entertaining card trick . . . .

If we talk about an entertaining card trick, I don't think the first has been done yet! [Rimshot!!] Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » What was the first card trick? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL