We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » What book is best to learn the "Business" side of Table hopping? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sportin Magic
View Profile
New user
Michigan
2 Posts

Profile of Sportin Magic
Hi all... I'm not looking for tricks or effects but the in's and out's of experienced table hoppers. I want to get into Restaurant work, and I know from all the other things I have done, I'ts alot less painfull starting out by learning from people who have already tried things and found out what works and what doesn't.

So if you were just starting out in the field what books would you recomend to yourself? I know the basic's...Not to many card effects, nothing long etc..But I'm looking for things like, getting the gig, dealing with the managers and wait staff , difficult customers, etc..Just a real good all around book ...any advice would be greatly appreciated...
Be young...Have Fun!
Mike
gocall911
View Profile
Loyal user
Salem, VA
246 Posts

Profile of gocall911
I know just the book for you, The Complete Guide to Restaurant and Walk-Around Magic by Kirk Charles. This is a great book and will help you with everything you wanted to know.
"Use your head." ~Dai Vernon~
rsummer27
View Profile
Loyal user
South Carolina
225 Posts

Profile of rsummer27
Everyone works differently and a lot of it depends on your own philosophy of how things should work. You need to decide how you want to work; table to table, the waiting area or the bar. Do you want to work one restaurant or several? Do you want to work for tips, a salary or both? Do you want to work for children or adults? Deciding these things will determine how you approach restaurants, which ones to approach and what kind of performance you will do. Think long and hard about what you think suits you best. Try different things to find out what kind of work you like doing. Offer to demo yourself one night for a couple of hours at a local restaurant. See where it leads. Most of all, have fun.
Giggles the Clown buys all of his
supplies at www.madhattermagicshop.com
Super Low Prices on Videos and DVDs!
EricHenning
View Profile
Loyal user
Laurel, Maryland
218 Posts

Profile of EricHenning
I would recommend the "Big Books O' Sisti," a.k.a., "The Magic Menu, Years 1-5" and "The Magic Menu, Years 6-10," from L&L Publishing. You will learn from collected experience and wisdom of people like Michael Ammar, Scotty York, Eugene Burger, Charles Greene III, Kirk Charles, Andrew Pinard, and many, many others.

Even though I was a contributor, I have no financial interest in the books. The first volume may be out of print. There is more material in these two volumes, both on the show and the business of restaurant and strolling magic, than you could use in four lifetimes.
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
Scott Guinn has a great column at online-visions.com detailing a lot of the buisness side of magic, as well as a great manuscript out on the buisness side of resturant work and other buisness sides of magic(mostly close-up oriented I think).

Contact him for info, he's on the Café.
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Sack Waldman has an eBook on "How to Get More Restaurant Magic Than You Know What To Do With. It doesn't cover tricks, just business.

Available at:

http://www.the-restaurant-magician.com/

Kirk G
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
I second Scott Guinn's book. It is compiled from his Visions articles. Highly recommended.

XX
do magic

www.8bom.net
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1103 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Three words: The Magic Menu!
xtreme_mixers
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of xtreme_mixers
I'm with eric henning I just purchase magic menu (years 1-5) and when it comes through I hear it will be the best book for restraunt magic.
Matthew 7:5
You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.
Sportin Magic
View Profile
New user
Michigan
2 Posts

Profile of Sportin Magic
Thanks to all !!!!
Be young...Have Fun!
Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » What book is best to learn the "Business" side of Table hopping? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL