The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Cube Cards by Kev G (54 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
JosephKerr
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
383 Posts

Profile of JosephKerr
This is so good.

The Cube Cards video (Streamable/Downloadable at 940 MB) has
a brief cameo by Takamiz Usui which was fun to see and I'm glad to
see his endorsement of this. If you don't already have it, "The Cube" is
full of some really cool routines.

Kev takes us through the history and development of the cards, the routine,
Speed Cube recommendations and goes out of his way to credit his inspirations.

The routines included are incredibly easy considering how impactful they are
and have multiple reset options from very quick to automatic making this ideal
for table hopping or trade show work. Kev also goes out of his way to make this
routine accessible and workable even if you don't know how to solve a Cube.

The cards themselves are great quality and also come with a selection of specially
printed gimmick cards for use in packet tricks. I have do doubt they will last a long time
provided you care for them as you would your playing cards, i.e. no water or spectators
with sticky fingers. You could however lose or abuse a few cards and still be able to
perform this without any problems.

There is a bonus section where Kev goes over some great info about creating a custom
holder for the cube using a versatile technique that can easily be extended to other props.

I'm very happy with my purchase - Both the product and the teaching are top notch.
It's a worker so I'm ready to purchase another set so that I can have a backup set of cards
ready.
"Challenge Your Reality"
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1499 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
Review of Cube Cards by Kev G (£29.99 from Saturn Magic).

You receive a transparent plastic box containing 24 mixed-up cube cards (all different), 24 solved cube cards, and 6 gaffed bonus "creativity cards". The gaffed cards allow you to develop your own packet effects should you wish. There is no DVD; instead there is a link to a video download. Also no cube is supplied - instead you will need to purchase a speed cube such as the Dayan Zhanchi or Shengshou Aurora. These can be obtained for around $10 or less.

The cards themselves are beautiifully printed on good quality playing card stock. The cubes are represented as three-dimensional images and show the standard Rubilk cube colours. The backs feature the official logo of the Rubik Cube Championship held in Sao Paolo, Brazil in 2015. This little detail adds considerable legitimacy to the cards. My only gripe is that the card backs are printed dark grey to the edges. While this doesn't affect the main routines, it does make certain card handlings and packet tricks problematic.

The video tutorial (1 hour 24 min) is well produced, with Kev covering everything needed to perform both basic and full routines, plus suggestions for bonus effects using the creativity cards. As well as giving some history and credits, Kev also usefully reviews several choices of speed cube. His preference is the Dayan Zhanchi V5. While I have previously been using the excellent and cheaper Shengshou Aurora V3, I have now ordered the Dayan Zhanchi - mainly because this is advertised as stickerless. A problem I had with the Shengshou Aurora was the stickers peeling off with excessive use.

In the basic routine, you begin with the cube fully solved. A spectator then selects (a genuine free choice) one of the 24 "random mix" challenge cards. After studying the card for a few seconds you then proceed to mix up the cube (about 20 moves is a good convincer) so that it ends up identical to the pattern shown on the selected card. Next, you shake the card and it visually changes to show a solved cube. Finally, you shake the cube and it too visually changes to the fully solved state.

In the "full" routine, you add a sequence in which all the random mix cards change to fully solved before finally shaking and solving the cube.

At the end of both routines, you are clean and the cards and cube can be fully examined. Also, of course, the cube is instantly reset. The card reset is also very quick.

Previously I have been using Steven Brundage's Cube3 to perform an instant solve of the Rubik Cube. What I particularly like about Kev's routine is that it establishes at the outset that you are using a normal working Rubik Cube - you start with a fully solved cube and then you perform a series of moves that mix it up into the pattern selected by the spectator. With other instant solve methods (including Cube3 and Takamiz Usui's The Cube) you start with a mixed cube. IMO, this always leaves the suspicion that the cube has been preset in some way (the spectator cannot mix the cube themselves at the beginning). Or, in some presentations, the spectator may suspect that the cube is switched. Kev's routine circumvents these problems. It is not only logical to start with a solved cube which you then clearly mix, but also, because you end with the cube fully solved, the spectator is very unlikely to mix it up when given it to examine (after all, the effect is over). If, by chance, the spectator does mix it up at this point, you have nothing to fear (other than having to solve the cube, potentially from scratch, before you can repeat the effect).

This brings me to another issue that potential purchasers need to consider. Kev does NOT teach how to genuinely solve a randomised cube. Instead he suggests a "quick" reset method. In case you are wondering, this does NOT involve disassembling the cube! In practice, however, the quick method is not that quick or straightforward to do on the fly. Instead, I'd strongly recommend learning how to solve a cube properly. Steven Brundage's Cube3 includes a great tutorial on this and there are also various other resources on YouTube and elsewhere. Because a reset is only ever needed when the cube gets out of position, you don't need to learn one of the more complicated super-fast methods. A basic method, such as taught in Cube3, with sufficient practice, will allow you to solve a cube in around 3 minutes or less. And be in no doubt, you WILL mess up the cube while learning Kev's routine - probably many times.

How easy is Cube Cards to perform? Well, the good news is that you don't need to learn any complicated cubing algorithms to perform either the basic or full routines. The mix that Kev uses is very simple indeed, although (as with Cube3 and The Cube) it will take quite a lot of practice to get the necessary hand movements sufficiently smooth and fast. The card changes are also very easy and require only the most basic of sleights. The visual change of the spectator's card into the solved card is the hardest to achieve cleanly - and, personally, I'd rather leave it out or do it differently.

If, like me, you have learned the Cube3 mix, you should be aware that Kev's mix is different. You will therefore need to relearn the moves and you may find, as I have, that you experience some muscle memory interference between the two methods. Note that you CANNOT use the Cube3 mix with Cube Cards.

In terms of routining, some performers might prefer to do just the cube mix and cube solve - i.e., without the card changes. It really depends on how you want to present the effect. As a demonstration of pure cubing skill, the card changes are perhaps redundant. On the other hand, if you want magical eye candy then, yes, keep them in.

Overall, I like Cube Cards a lot. It is a great way to extend to a basic cube solving routine and is going straight into my walkaround set.

Mike
wulfie66
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of wulfie66
Quote:
On Oct 9, 2016, Michael Daniels wrote:
Review of Cube Cards by Kev G (£29.99 from Saturn Magic).

You receive a transparent plastic box containing 24 mixed-up cube cards (all different), 24 solved cube cards, and 6 gaffed bonus "creativity cards". The gaffed cards allow you to develop your own packet effects should you wish. There is no DVD; instead there is a link to a video download. Also no cube is supplied - instead you will need to purchase a speed cube such as the Dayan Zhanchi or Shengshou Aurora. These can be obtained for around $10 or less.

The cards themselves are beautiifully printed on good quality playing card stock. The cubes are represented as three-dimensional images and show the standard Rubilk cube colours. The backs feature the official logo of the Rubik Cube Championship held in Sao Paolo, Brazil in 2015. This little detail adds considerable legitimacy to the cards. My only gripe is that the card backs are printed dark grey to the edges. While this doesn't affect the main routines, it does make certain card handlings and packet tricks problematic.

The video tutorial (1 hour 24 min) is well produced, with Kev covering everything needed to perform both basic and full routines, plus suggestions for bonus effects using the creativity cards. As well as giving some history and credits, Kev also usefully reviews several choices of speed cube. His preference is the Dayan Zhanchi V5. While I have previously been using the excellent and cheaper Shengshou Aurora V3, I have now ordered the Dayan Zhanchi - mainly because this is advertised as stickerless. A problem I had with the Shengshou Aurora was the stickers peeling off with excessive use.

In the basic routine, you begin with the cube fully solved. A spectator then selects (a genuine free choice) one of the 24 "random mix" challenge cards. After studying the card for a few seconds you then proceed to mix up the cube (about 20 moves is a good convincer) so that it ends up identical to the pattern shown on the selected card. Next, you shake the card and it visually changes to show a solved cube. Finally, you shake the cube and it too visually changes to the fully solved state.

In the "full" routine, you add a sequence in which all the random mix cards change to fully solved before finally shaking and solving the cube.

At the end of both routines, you are clean and the cards and cube can be fully examined. Also, of course, the cube is instantly reset. The card reset is also very quick.

Previously I have been using Steven Brundage's Cube3 to perform an instant solve of the Rubik Cube. What I particularly like about Kev's routine is that it establishes at the outset that you are using a normal working Rubik Cube - you start with a fully solved cube and then you perform a series of moves that mix it up into the pattern selected by the spectator. With other instant solve methods (including Cube3 and Takamiz Usui's The Cube) you start with a mixed cube. IMO, this always leaves the suspicion that the cube has been preset in some way (the spectator cannot mix the cube themselves at the beginning). Or, in some presentations, the spectator may suspect that the cube is switched. Kev's routine circumvents these problems. It is not only logical to start with a solved cube which you then clearly mix, but also, because you end with the cube fully solved, the spectator is very unlikely to mix it up when given it to examine (after all, the effect is over). If, by chance, the spectator does mix it up at this point, you have nothing to fear (other than having to solve the cube, potentially from scratch, before you can repeat the effect).

This brings me to another issue that potential purchasers need to consider. Kev does NOT teach how to genuinely solve a randomised cube. Instead he suggests a "quick" reset method. In case you are wondering, this does NOT involve disassembling the cube! In practice, however, the quick method is not that quick or straightforward to do on the fly. Instead, I'd strongly recommend learning how to solve a cube properly. Steven Brundage's Cube3 includes a great tutorial on this and there are also various other resources on YouTube and elsewhere. Because a reset is only ever needed when the cube gets out of position, you don't need to learn one of the more complicated super-fast methods. A basic method, such as taught in Cube3, with sufficient practice, will allow you to solve a cube in around 3 minutes or less. And be in no doubt, you WILL mess up the cube while learning Kev's routine - probably many times.

How easy is Cube Cards to perform? Well, the good news is that you don't need to learn any complicated cubing algorithms to perform either the basic or full routines. The mix that Kev uses is very simple indeed, although (as with Cube3 and The Cube) it will take quite a lot of practice to get the necessary hand movements sufficiently smooth and fast. The card changes are also very easy and require only the most basic of sleights. The visual change of the spectator's card into the solved card is the hardest to achieve cleanly - and, personally, I'd rather leave it out or do it differently.

If, like me, you have learned the Cube3 mix, you should be aware that Kev's mix is different. You will therefore need to relearn the moves and you may find, as I have, that you experience some muscle memory interference between the two methods. Note that you CANNOT use the Cube3 mix with Cube Cards.

In terms of routining, some performers might prefer to do just the cube mix and cube solve - i.e., without the card changes. It really depends on how you want to present the effect. As a demonstration of pure cubing skill, the card changes are perhaps redundant. On the other hand, if you want magical eye candy then, yes, keep them in.

Overall, I like Cube Cards a lot. It is a great way to extend to a basic cube solving routine and is going straight into my walkaround set.

Mike

Thanks a LOT for this very thorough review. Definitely purchasing this and cube3. I'm assuming that you can use the Cube3 cube with this routine as well.

Todd
Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist ought to have his head examined.
randyburtis
View Profile
Inner circle
1257 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
Yes you can.
Randy Burtis
Calgary's Kid Show Magician
www.calgarymagician.com
www.Facebook.com/calgarymagician
kieronthemighty
View Profile
Special user
617 Posts

Profile of kieronthemighty
I met Kev a few years ago through my own work and I've seen Kev grow as a performer and creator of magic and was privileged to see him win a major comp.

I was sent a protype of the first concept when Kev first started working on it I liked it but wasn't too sure at first as the algorithm was a little complex, and I had only recently started having a play around with the Rubik's cube.

The thing I like about this is that it plays well anywhere close up, stage, parlour and it's perfect for most situations.

Personally I got realy excited when Takamitsu Usui gave Kev permission to use his concept and they bounced off each other, which resulted in a really great piece of magic and a simple algorithm that anyone could learn to perform the kicker ending.

You may be on the fence with Rubik's cube magic as I was to be honest, I wasn't sure If I felt like I was showing off just learning an instant solve. Once I had learnt Kev's routining and reasoning for cube cards I no longer feel like that as it has made it a multi phased, engaging effect that builds to a impossible climax.

If you're a worker, you'll also enjoy Kev's cube holder design which saves on precious pocket space.

Pros: It's very well structured, the cards are a thing of beauty and it's a worker that will fit most styles.

Cons: You don't get a cube with it, but the price is fair as it's all custom designed. Also performers who use the cube already will have one and speed cubes are fairly cheap to pick up online.

P.S. I just want to add that even though I was given a copy, I have since bought another as I carry a duplicate of all my working set, just in case as you never know!

I showed this to my mother in law who's not a big magic fan but she said that this is the best thing she has seen me do! (Her words not mine)

Highly recommended

Kind regards

Kieron
magic in mind
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of magic in mind
*** I spent way too much already on magic this month way over budget.I'm now another £29.99 down!!!!
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
1938 Posts

Profile of Daren
Best 29.99 you can spend currently, great effect!!
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5244 Posts

Profile of videoman
Great routine from Kev G and really nice cards supplied, you need to supply your own speed cube. But even still I consider this to be a bargain.
I like this a lot.
I guess you could call this a poor man's Rubicon (Gregory Wilson's latest release.)
Now of course this uses printed cards rather than another cube, but for about 1/12th the price of Rubicon I think it is nipping at Greg's heels.
I'd recommend it.
Super fast shipping from Saturn Magic too. May have been just a one time fluke but it arrived on west coast of USA much quicker than any other UK dealer I have ordered from.
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2472 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
Cube Cards is featured on our latest show.

www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1499 Posts

Just a heads up - the (Topways) Dayan ZhanChi V5 cubes I ordered from Amazon UK arrived this morning. Though they were (ambiguously) advertised as stickerless, they are stickered. A bit disappointing.

The cubes themselves work very nicely - possibly slightly better on cornering than the Shengshou Aurora V3, though there's not much in it. The Dayan cubes are also 1mm larger than the Shengshou. This may be a consideration if you have small hands. The colours look identical.

Mike
wulfie66
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of wulfie66
Quote:
On Oct 14, 2016, Michael Daniels wrote:
Just a heads up - the (Topways) Dayan ZhanChi V5 cubes I ordered from Amazon UK arrived this morning. Though they were (ambiguously) advertised as stickerless, they are stickered. A bit disappointing.

The cubes themselves work very nicely - possibly slightly better on cornering than the Shengshou Aurora V3, though there's not much in it. The Dayan cubes are also 1mm larger than the Shengshou. This may be a consideration if you have small hands. The colours look identical.

Mike

So out of all the speed cubes out there, which would you say, in your opinion, are the best for this effect for someone with 'average' sized hands?

Todd
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1646 Posts

Profile of The Duster
I actually wented with stickered

As they look like Rubic's Cubes did

So will look and seem fairer

I know they are not gimmicked anyway - but I think people will def suspect stickerless cubes way more
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1499 Posts

Quote:
On Oct 14, 2016, wulfie66 wrote:
So out of all the speed cubes out there, which would you say, in your opinion, are the best for this effect for someone with 'average' sized hands?
Todd

I have average sized hands and there's really little to choose between the Dayan ZhanChi V5 and the Shengshou Aurora V3. Both are great. The Shengshou is a bit cheaper.

Mike
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1499 Posts

Quote:
On Oct 14, 2016, The Duster wrote:
I actually wented with stickered

As they look like Rubic's Cubes did

So will look and seem fairer

I know they are not gimmicked anyway - but I think people will def suspect stickerless cubes way more

Yes, fair point.

Mike
kevg
View Profile
Regular user
UK
133 Posts

Profile of kevg
Here's an idea using the bonus cards to perform a version of Garrett's Stand Up Monte...

http://youtu.be/P-Wuyl90_Hw
----------
----------
wulfie66
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of wulfie66
Quote:
On Oct 17, 2016, kevg wrote:
Here's an idea using the bonus cards to perform a version of Garrett's Stand Up Monte...

http://youtu.be/P-Wuyl90_Hw

nice kicker ending there
JosephKerr
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
383 Posts

Profile of JosephKerr
Great idea adding the bagged cube. This is pretty brilliant and utterly baffling to a spectator. With
Garrett's powerful routine and the solved cube climax I cannot imagine that there is anywhere for
the viewer to back track the routine. This may be the cleverest thing I've seen in quite some time.
"Challenge Your Reality"
JosephKerr
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
383 Posts

Profile of JosephKerr
One of the performers at the Magic Castle Strolling competition received 3rd place at the event
with Cube Cards as his feature. With what's going on in the Facebook group there is at least
three great effects here. Very happy with my purchase of Cube Cards.
"Challenge Your Reality"
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3316 Posts

Profile of warren
The real test will be when the hype has died down as so many effects these days get raved about but end up in the dreaded magic drawer with in a couple of months.....so as tempting as it is I'll hold back for now .
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2472 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
We have had a new batch of Speed Cubes arrive in stock which work great for Cube Cards http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/new-magic/s......ube.html
www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Cube Cards by Kev G (54 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.32 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL