We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » What are some examples of self working card tricks? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicstudent8416
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of magicstudent8416
In particular what would ones in the royal road dvds would be considered self working as that is the main release I am working from at the moment. My bad if there is a section which discusses it on them; I work so much at the moment that I only find time to watch for ten minutes here and there so it is taking me a long time to get through them all.

I still don't quite know what self working entails. Well I get the general idea but interested to hear some prime examples of what some would be in card magic.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Self working seems, I think, to most often refer to card tricks that require no, or very little, in the way of sleight of hand. They usually, therefore, rely more on mathematical principles, clever subterfuge, or card manipulation so that are extremely easy to perform.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

To look for examples one could look at the contents of the BBM DVD series 'Ultimate Self-Working Card Tricks'.
IMAGINACIAN
View Profile
Special user
In Your Thots
504 Posts

Profile of IMAGINACIAN
The very phrase 'self working' is a misnomer. Somehow this got embedded in the magic lexicon. Coz, there is absolutely no trick which is self working - other than like a sunrise or earth revolution or gravity etc. Every trick strictly needs some working - whether moves or calculations or even just maybe patter to make it look impressive. I think self working simply means easy in the magic jargon. Because no trick can work without a performer. Just some thoughts.

So instead of defining tricks by the phrase self working, if some other parameter can be applied, the result will be easier and clearer. Like one parameter can be 'zero sleights' or 'marked cards' or 'math tricks' etc. Hope that makes sense.
There is no better freedom than choice and no better choice than freedom.
magicstudent8416
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of magicstudent8416
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2016, IMAGINACIAN wrote:
The very phrase 'self working' is a misnomer. Somehow this got embedded in the magic lexicon. Coz, there is absolutely no trick which is self working - other than like a sunrise or earth revolution or gravity etc. Every trick strictly needs some working - whether moves or calculations or even just maybe patter to make it look impressive. I think self working simply means easy in the magic jargon. Because no trick can work without a performer. Just some thoughts.

So instead of defining tricks by the phrase self working, if some other parameter can be applied, the result will be easier and clearer. Like one parameter can be 'zero sleights' or 'marked cards' or 'math tricks' etc. Hope that makes sense.

Well I think that is rather pedantic. Language itself isn't an exact explanation of the real world it is just shorthand. Sure some explanations are more accurate than others. I see how the term could be misleading though and it isn't necessary to focus on what is and isn't self working but rather what you would like to learn.
alecStephenson
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of alecStephenson
Self-working = no sleights, Impromptu = no preparation (stack, gaffs etc).
You can have self-working impromptu, self-working not impromptu, impromptu not self-working, or neither.

People might have different exact definitions. And no taxonomy is perfect, some things might be borderline.
For example, you might consider a very small stack to still be impromptu.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Bannon give his take on what counts as a self worker on the DVD Move Zero. Cool DVD.
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1115 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:
On Oct 2, 2016, Terrible Wizard wrote:
Bannon give his take on what counts as a self worker on the DVD Move Zero. Cool DVD.

Or better still, his book Destination Zero!

Mark
IMAGINACIAN
View Profile
Special user
In Your Thots
504 Posts

Profile of IMAGINACIAN
Quote:

Yes, a very good release. John's takes are highly interesting and very entertaining. All worker material.
There is no better freedom than choice and no better choice than freedom.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6785 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Oct 2, 2016, mlippo wrote:
Quote:

Or better still, his book Destination Zero!

Mark

Good call mlippo!
rev_marcus
View Profile
New user
Just getting started with
95 Posts

Profile of rev_marcus
I second the Bannon DVD. I just have Vol 1 but very, very good stuff. I was a little disappointed by the BBM Ultimate self-working card tricks Vol 1. I think they kind of butchered pre-preconficuartion which is one of my favorite card tricks to perform. Also they do not put enough explanation into 4,5,6 which is one of the more difficult tricks that looks really amazing but is prone to failure if you just follow their directions.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3524 Posts

Profile of Julie
Hello magicstudent8416 et al

For some really GREAT "self-working" (easy-to-do, yet impressive) card material, I suggest you check out John Scarne On Card Tricks. It's an older publication that is often found combined with John Scarne On Magic Tricks.

Both are references you will appreciate and come back to for quality presentations throughout your magical life. (Inexpensive, too.)

Have FUN!

Julie
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1408 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
The Fulves Self-Working series are absolute GOLDMINES of material. Many people nowadays don't realize that a good majority of that material is reprinted from his various periodicals. Not to mention the swath of plundered and uncredited material from magic's past luminaries.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6785 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Oct 20, 2016, rev_marcus wrote:
I second the Bannon DVD. I just have Vol 1 but very, very good stuff. I was a little disappointed by the BBM Ultimate self-working card tricks Vol 1. I think they kind of butchered pre-preconficuartion which is one of my favorite card tricks to perform. Also they do not put enough explanation into 4,5,6 which is one of the more difficult tricks that looks really amazing but is prone to failure if you just follow their directions.

The book is even better!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » What are some examples of self working card tricks? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL