We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Recommended for one hour (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Eddy
View Profile
Special user
Manchester
582 Posts

Profile of Eddy
I am booked in to do my first gig at a wedding. It is in September so it is not as though I don't have plenty of time to get it all ready. I am just wondering which effects I should perform. I mean to say, I can go on all day long if I have to, but this is only for one hour, and I am getting a reasonable amount of money for it.
Which, in your opinion would be high imoact tricks to perform at the wedding? Purely close-up and personal at tables.
I was thinking:
Mental phot
Invisible deck
Card revelations- top changes, multiple lifts, card to wallet, colour changes etc (ie, load of fast and fun card moves)
Sponge balls
Bill switch
Linking bands and CMH
Coins across in Wine glass.
La magie, c'est ma vie
indridcold
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of indridcold
That is a great selection, I think. If I am ever out and about, I use the invisible pack, sponge balls, and CMH. They are all I need to get a few hours strolling out of.
xtreme_mixers
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of xtreme_mixers
Add ambitious card that's always a fav
Matthew 7:5
You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.
Ron Crumley
View Profile
Elite user
1950 - 2012
448 Posts

Profile of Ron Crumley
There are some valuable and recent posts regarding this very subject. In fact they discuss material for weddings.

A search of "weddings" in this forum should provide you with several ideas of effects and ideas for presentations.
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
You will probably see the trick anniversary waltz by doc eason mentioned in a lot of the wedding posts. it is a great trick and works very well in a intimate wedding situation.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Quote:
On 2004-03-23 08:00, xtreme_mixers wrote:
Add ambitious card that's always a fav

Make sure that they get to sign the card and keep it at the end.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
ANything with a giveaway. ANNIVERSARY WALTZ is the strongest card trick ever. AMbitious card is nice. I think your selection is fantastic. Very easy and commercial magic. Anything that can be explained in one sentence by a spectator, because people tend to drink at weddings, is usually strong magic. "I picked a card and it ended up on his forehead or hanging from his mouth." "The coins went from his right hand to his left without anything happening." "We signed 2 different cards that became one in our hands". "The cigarette went through the quarter" I think you get the idea.
Mark Butcher
View Profile
Regular user
Rochester, NY
116 Posts

Profile of Mark Butcher
IMO only perform Anniversary Waltz for the wedding couple. They are left with an impossible object that really defines what marriage is about. It is their special day and you would be cheating them if others end up with the same gift as they do.

-Mark
BradleyNott
View Profile
Veteran user
Westwood, CA (UCLA)
351 Posts

Profile of BradleyNott
If you will do coins to glass...produce them from a white silk or something, it is a wedding anyway...produce the coins, do the trick, vanish them.
If you were a hotdog, and you were starving...would you eat yourself? I know I would!
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Since you are doing basically table-hopping, you may have even too much, depending on the number of tables.
Make the tricks short and quick and be prepared for all sorts of interruptions; don't take it personally, either.
You will be dealing mainly with couples so you might want to try something that will work with the man and woman; for example, there's my Cards for Lovers, where the man picks a card and signs the front and the woman picks a card and signs the back -- and they've both chosen the same card!
If you, or anyone else, is interested, e-mail me and I'll be happy to send you the routine.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1060 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
Has anyone mentioned doing tricks with finger rings?

I do Doug Maloy's ring to wallet. Very powerful effect... save it for the wedding couple, or stroll with it... Besides Doug Malloy's excellent video, I got help from Gegory Wilson's ring leader video and personal instruction from my magician friends. Lot's of opportunity for humor and interplay. When you make someone's ring dissappear, they have a vested interest in your trick.

I now do several rope and finger ring effects and have two separate routines with lots of variations. I started doing the effect last August. Since you have some learning time, you may wish to consider this path... Within about 3- months I was very confident with a wide variety of rings. (I got a whole bunch of costume jewelery rings to practice with)

Strong magic.

One more idea... Sometimes when I do bithday parties and anniveraries, I do a torn and resotored card trick... where they retain a corner of a f****d card. The restored card (with a matching corner missing) is found inside a a greeting card I print up especially for the guests of honnor. I've even mailed it (well sealed) to a friend of the guest to bring to the affair.... I do bring a back up incase some bozo opens it early or incase they forget to bring it.

A great way to personalize the card... and leave them with a real mystery.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Recommended for one hour (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL