We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Making myself known (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Eddy
View Profile
Special user
Manchester
582 Posts

Profile of Eddy
Hi there. I have got the business cards, and I am wondering what is next. I want to contact agents and let them know that I am willing to start work, though I know that I will have to have certain things, photos etc?though I am unsure . Anyone have any advice so that I can give myself the best possible advantage and make myself look the bees knees to the agents who will be recruiting?
La magie, c'est ma vie
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Eddy,
By far the best possible way of getting know is by word of mouth.
Some time back, the great Jay Marshall was asked by another magician what the best way to make money in magic was.
Jay asked him if he did birthday parties.
The magician replied, as if Jay had misunderstood him, "No, I mean, should I get an agent or what?"
Jay just threw up his hands and walked away.

You say in your next post, below, that you have your first job coming up.
You have, apparently, a long, long way to go in performing before you have polished your style in front of an audience.
Don't be in such a hurry.
Believe it or not (LOL!) agents are not sitting by the phone, waiting for you to call!
Prove yourself first in the crucible of public performances.
Then, and only then, you might want to talk to an agent, although many performers do not use one but, rather, book themselves.

BTW, please tell me that those business cards are not covered with rabbits, top hats, cards, and a meaningless (to the public) alphabet-soup of inititals of magic groups!
Eddy
View Profile
Special user
Manchester
582 Posts

Profile of Eddy
No they are not. I think they are quite chique actually.Your questioning conveys that you little confidence in me, and that I am somewhat naive as to what to have on my cards, or how to perform. I am a very good performer, my sleight technical ability is good, and I am very gregarious. I have been told I should be making a living out of it, and that is merely what I am aiming to achieve. I merely wanted a little advice, not condescending tone!
La magie, c'est ma vie
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
Peter throws up his hands and walks away...............
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
Hmmm actually all my "agents" saw me at an event, so that is definately good advice.

Here is the deal, and this is the deal for all of magic:

Make them remember YOU and not your tricks.

You want them leaving, NOT saying "Oh that was amazing how he made that card rise or change in my hand", but instead "Oh that Eddy was the best I've ever seen!!!! When Eddy made that card change it was impossible!!!".

This means that a couple months down the line they will be saying "Oh Hey, let's get that magician Eddy for the party", Instead of the dreaded "That magician was wonderful, what was his name again? Let's go look in the phonebook and find a magician for the party". Then, you have to just hope that your name is in the book, as well as them remembering your name.

This is another important point, make sure that your buisness card or your yellowpage entry is the same information as whatever you promote your show as.

Which means that if they all remember you as "Merlin the amazing magician" then you shouldnt have your phonebook or buisness card as "The magic of Eddy"... that's a small point, but often overlooked by some people.

Get some publicity, get your name in the paper or on the radio or on tv....

Depending on your age, just going to a magic convention can be news for a local paper. "Local Magician Eddy returns from the Society of American Magician's National convention." or something.

Agents are nice but should not be your only method of booking shows.

Get a resturant job, or start working at a friends, relatives, or whatever's place (if applicable). Start working shows.

Once you work one show, you not only have one client which can talk you up to their friends(staying in touch is important), but also you can probably book at least one other show from that one. ect ect.

If you work resturants, then you can get some great contacts and shows from the patrons there.

Working is the best way to get more work!
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Eddy, Peter asked questions that should be asked, not in a condesending way but in a way to get information. When I read your post, the only thing I knew was that you live in Manchester. Don't know if it Manchester UK or Vermont even. So Peter, armed with that knowledge only asked appropriate questions.

Like Peter mentioned, have you been doing birthday parties, or performing in restaurants? That is the easiest way to get your name out to the "movers and shakers," the ones who will hire you, in your area.

Peter (the other Peter not the famous one)
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Making myself known (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL