We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » How does everybody store, organize their notes, lecture notes, instructions, etc.? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
x303
View Profile
New user
St-Hubert, Quebec, Canada.
74 Posts

Profile of x303
I scan everything and file it on the computer; the originals are in one drawer!

Bob
Scott Wells
View Profile
Inner circle
Houston, TX
1024 Posts

Profile of Scott Wells
My instructions I file alphabetically in a folder in my file cabinet.

My lecture notes I keep in separate shelves along with the rest of my books. They are indexed on the shelf by topic (i.e. restaurant, cruise ships, etc.)

I started keeping my library on an Excel Spreadsheet many years ago and I input stuff in there after I get four or five books then put all those in at one time. If they don't have my bookplate in them, then I know that I haven't yet put it in my database. I'm glad I started that several years ago rather than having to go back and input 600 books now!

Heed my advice, grasshoppers, and start your database now.

yours,
Scott
"A magician who isn't working is only fooling himself." - Scott Wells, M.I.M.C. with Gold Star

The Magic Word podcast: http://themagicwordpodcast.com Listen to convention coverage, interviews with magicians, pictures, videos and more.

Magic Inspirations website for all things Banachek: www.magicinspirations.net
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
For insturctions I too use the comic book bags with the card board inserts, most will fit in the "normal" sized ones for a few I've had to buy the "Golden Age" bags and inserts which are a little bigger. I then store them in the magazine holders.

For books/ lecture notes etc. I have a large number of Priority Boxes from the post office I cut the boxes to the books size to use as a stiffner then seal them in Ziplock freezer bags the tape the excess bag around so that all is the size of the book.

I then use a circle sticker (usually used as rummage sale price stickers) I put a sticker on the front upper right corner of the book and write a number on that sticker. The number goes into my computer data base with the title of the book. I then put the book into a large white storage box.

Once a box is full (usually around 35 books and lecture notes) I print out the page from the data base and tape it to the top of the box lid and assign a number to that box which I write on the box in magic marker.

The system works for me, it is cheap, effective some what compact and I can always find what I'm looking for, the only down side is untaping and retaping the bags when I want to read one of the books.

X
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
full circle
View Profile
New user
Pascagoula, Ms.
53 Posts

Profile of full circle
After about 6 months I put my MUM`s in a cardboard shoebox after going through & labeling each magazine with, on front cover, a small sticky back label with written interests contained in that issue on the label. After 1 Year I write on top w/marker what magazine and what year.

Instructions should be kept with tricks. I use plastic zip lock baggies or larger office type plastic bags already mentioned. Then all protected tricks go into wide shallow, under bed type, plastic boxes that are avail at wallyworld.

John
"A person who can laugh at himself, will never fail to be amused".
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4866 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
I have them organized by topic in manila folders such as:
Close up (non card)
Card
Coin
Liquid, bottles, glasses
Rope
Miscellaneous
Apparatus
Owen/Thayer
Ricardo_magician
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of Ricardo_magician
Hi I put all my instructions into my filing cabinet in catagories eg cards, coins, silk etc order I can find them very easy that way.

Ricardo The Magician
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I have so much stuff acquired over the years I don't even know what I have, let alone where it is. Every once in awhile I dig into some boxes and find some great, forgotten magic. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
I have a "magic cabinet" in the front room that holds all books, lecture notes, tricks, etc. I simply have books and lecture notes sitting on piles on the shelves. Of course, I also have a pile on my desk from what I've been studying since the last time I've organized my desk, and as I take I look around, it looks like it's been a while since that has happened.
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
I use plastic totes with lids for smaller effects. The effects are grouped by category in zip-lock bags labeled with a marker. Instructions are kept with the effects. Books are in labeled boxes for protection. Larger effects are in a dedicated closet, each in the original packaging with instructions. Cups etc. are on display.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I use a pilot program.

I "pilot" here, "pilot" there, "pilot" everywhere.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
kloud
View Profile
New user
New York, NY
74 Posts

Profile of kloud
I use zip bags. Very unorganized though
Foxbiz
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
208 Posts

Profile of Foxbiz
After 12 years of struggling with what type of magic "I" wanted to do on a regular basis, I went through ALL my magic and noted the routines I was doing; wanted to add soon; and add later.
I entered it all (references and brief discription) into my PC under cards, coins, mental, humor, stage, TV, silk, etc.
I forced me to really look at what I had and where I was going.
I also filed my props in a tied, clear storage rack (as well as recording all my "junk"
p:m
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto, Canada
230 Posts

Profile of p:m
Usually effects come in those long ziplock type bags, I emptied one out and I now store all of my instructions in one of those. As for lecture notes, Mine sit on my shelf with my other magic books. I am fortunate to have a really big dressor that houses everything
p:m
<BR>www.petermckinnon.com
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2004-04-13 18:44, Greg Arce wrote:
I have a simple method: Big pile. Little pile.
Greg

Ha-ha!!

And, just to keep things interesting, you can rotate things in and out of each pile on a totally random basis. Almost like "living organism" decor. Sometimes the pile on the left is the taller, sometimes not. Does away with the need to change the paintings on the walls every 20 years or so.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
thegospelmagicman
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of thegospelmagicman
I keep my notes in a filing cabinet using hanging files. Each trick and the notes are slipped into a zip-lock bag and then filed in the file folder. If the trick is too large, I store a copy of the notes in the file and keep the trick in filing boxes with each one labeled so I can find (sometimes) what I am looking for.

John
The Gospel Magic Man
King Of Pop
View Profile
Veteran user
Estonia
392 Posts

Profile of King Of Pop
Mostly in my brain, truly Smile

God Bless You All, I Love You
God Bless You, I Love You From The Bottom Of My Heart
ToPher
View Profile
Regular user
Somewhere
120 Posts

Profile of ToPher
I use a 3 ring binder(2.5 or 3") with the manila sheets that have the alphabet on them so the notes can be sorted either into catogory or by the performer. I also use the plastic sleeves so I don't have to punch holes in the notes. an if the notes wont go then they just get piled up.
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Everything that is in booklet form is located in filing cabinets with hanging folders labeled by the magician's name. On computer I made a list of the folders name (Magician's name), and contents (Name and date of booklet, lecture notes, etc.)

Although this is good, I have a tendency to forget about something that I had. In a way its also a good thing- you always find something interesting to spark your imagination.

Magazines are on their own bookshelf, set aside from the standard books.

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Macbeth
View Profile
Regular user
London
129 Posts

Profile of Macbeth
Shoeboxes in the Wardrobe!
jonnycardel
View Profile
New user
England (lakes)
50 Posts

Profile of jonnycardel
I store all my data on a pocket pc, Its a total organiser, I keep my posters on it as well as media player vidios of gigs which I can show to potental clients. Also keep all my ideas organised and can see where I have progressed with them. Well worth the £200 it cost. Jc Smile
Magician walks down the road and turned into a bar, da daaa
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » How does everybody store, organize their notes, lecture notes, instructions, etc.? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL