The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » No More Business Cards (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
I just got done reading "The Sell" by Fredrik Eklund and in it he proposes something a bit unorthodox in business - not using business cards. Instead he either ass for theirs or he asks for their email in which he sends out an email immediately.

I have stopped and thought about this after reading... Most people you run into are not professionals and don't understand or appreciate the value of business cards. Giving out business cards is costly if you come to think about it. There is no guarantee that they will last or that you will be called.
I'm not saying don't ever have business cards but instead - don't hand out the card until after your performance and they have become a paying client.

Has anyone out there been doing this? Ever since I've read the book - I've been taking peoples emails more than I have been handing out cards when I at festivals/events with my booth.
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10604 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I haven't used business cards in years. While I do have them for some of my businesses, I prefer to do just what you suggested. If "performed" properly NOT having business cards can be the premise for more effective and direct connection than when actually using them.

I know many top pros that do not have a business card or a website and have ways to make it work to their distinct advantage.

One of the keys to what you have introduced here though, and it is often the part left out of the topic, is you must have and know how to create effective emails for your contact/follow-up with the cards you receive. I've seen many drop the ball terribly on this area as their e-mails do not make it through the noise, get read or even received.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Maybe Donald can find where I have been saying this for a decade here.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
I think it's a good idea to have something to give people if they ask. It doesn't have to be a business card. Could be a postcard, could even be a playing card with yohr info on it in Sharpy (I've seen it done... And it worked for him and his style). If someone asks you for a card, they are wanting to know how to get ahold of you in the future. That's a good thing in my opinion.
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
Because many people don't have business cards- ive found myself giving cards away with no return. I think cards are good for those new clients who have already paid. Cards not good for prospects necessarily
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I think it depends on the market.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10604 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I agree. This is where consumer markets vs. professional markets again really can come into play.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10604 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2016, thomasR wrote:
I think it's a good idea to have something to give people if they ask. If someone asks you for a card, they are wanting to know how to get ahold of you in the future. That's a good thing in my opinion.

I agree. I would never advise anyone not to have such, but was just saying I know many that don't. Especially those that have a selective market or don't want general tirekicker inquiries. If I was unestablished or in a new area, I would probably still suggest them. Then at that point the real issue is what you do with them. I see many performers that have cards and have no useful plan for them or just have then in case they are asked.
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
I'm not saying don't ever have business cards, what I'm starting to do is only hand them out when I know for a fact that business is certain in which case I hand out two cards (two because there is a high probability that they know someone and or the card gets lost because sh** happens). When a business card may not be needed is when you're doing a booth to showcase. What I do instead is have a contact list that they sign with their desired means of communication. They will get my information that way.

-Guy Jarrett

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Business cards are almost useless to me and always have been. I don't like to wait or let them follow up. I prefer to do that myself. It puts me in charge of doing it and I won't forget.

As I said I have always done this and in reality it is sort of sales 101.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Giving out a business card and then waiting for that person to contact you is not exactly taking a proactive business stance. For sure it's better to be ensuring that their interest gets followed up by you contacting them.

So rather than simply giving out your business card exchanging business cards has always seemed to me to be a better idea than simply handing yours out. This gives you the information you need to appropriately and proactively follow up.

But here we are in the 21st century and choosing not to use business cards seems is a reasonable choice given the alternatives now available. Even so, saying you don't have any business cards on you when asked for one can make you look unprepared... and unprepared can sometimes be equated with unbusinesslike. It can also create a moment of disappointment...they are looking to keep a connection to you and apparently there's immediately a possible obstacle to that. So, if you choose not to use business cards, or you do use them but don't have any on you, rather than saying you don't have one on you I would suggest let eh prospect know that you don't actually use business cards. This ensures your interested prospective client understands that your not having a business card is a choice, not an oversight and it leads you neatly into providing a better means of exchanging details without that moment of disappointment being allowed to develop.

So having chosen not to have business cards you still need some way to exchange information with the interested client. Much better than a card is immediate access to everything about you that they might be interested in. And fortunately in the era of the ubiquitous all singing and all dancing phone one is able to collect a prospect's pertinent details without needing to scramble for a bit of paper and a pen. So simply ask for their phone number so you can instantly give them more than any business card possible can. If they are happy to give it to you their number enter it directly into your phone and then immediately send them a text or/and email containing a link to your website thereby automatically giving them all the information a business card would have while at the same time putting all your promotion materials right in front of them.

And as you now have their details too you can follow up as appropriate.

Just some ideas.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
Quote:
On Oct 9, 2016, Sealegs wrote:
Giving out a business card and then waiting for that person to contact you is not exactly taking a proactive business stance. For sure it's better to be ensuring that their interest gets followed up by you contacting them.

So rather than simply giving out your business card exchanging business cards has always seemed to me to be a better idea than simply handing yours out. This gives you the information you need to appropriately and proactively follow up.

But here we are in the 21st century and choosing not to use business cards seems is a reasonable choice given the alternatives now available. Even so, saying you don't have any business cards on you when asked for one can make you look unprepared... and unprepared can sometimes be equated with unbusinesslike. It can also create a moment of disappointment...they are looking to keep a connection to you and apparently there's immediately a possible obstacle to that. So, if you choose not to use business cards, or you do use them but don't have any on you, rather than saying you don't have one on you I would suggest let eh prospect know that you don't actually use business cards. This ensures your interested prospective client understands that your not having a business card is a choice, not an oversight and it leads you neatly into providing a better means of exchanging details without that moment of disappointment being allowed to develop.

So having chosen not to have business cards you still need some way to exchange information with the interested client. Much better than a card is immediate access to everything about you that they might be interested in. And fortunately in the era of the ubiquitous all singing and all dancing phone one is able to collect a prospect's pertinent details without needing to scramble for a bit of paper and a pen. So simply ask for their phone number so you can instantly give them more than any business card possible can. If they are happy to give it to you their number enter it directly into your phone and then immediately send them a text or/and email containing a link to your website thereby automatically giving them all the information a business card would have while at the same time putting all your promotion materials right in front of them.

And as you now have their details too you can follow up as appropriate.

Just some ideas.

I agree with you but carrying cards around isn't something people Do here in the states- at least not in my midwest region

-Guy Jarrett

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Actually business people still do it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10604 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Again, consumer markets vs. professional markets. It makes a difference.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
The card is your business sign. Just like a store would never try and do business without a sign on the building,
the service person, the entertainer or whoever needs a sign too.

The idea is to make it easy for customers/clients to remember who you are. While they may remember every trick
you did, they most likely will not remember your name and will have no idea how to get in touch with you.

Do you remember the name of the last plumber or repairman you used? Of course you don’t, just like magicians they all look alike. Smile

Tom
cafecheckers
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of cafecheckers
Quote:
On Oct 9, 2016, TomBoleware wrote:
The idea is to make it easy for customers/clients to remember who you are. While they may remember every trick
you did, they most likely will not remember your name and will have no idea how to get in touch with you.

I agree, that the idea is to make it easy to remember who you are (if your audience members are critical for future booking opportunities). I disagree that one should be using a business card as a "sign" in this regard though. That would be way down on my list of ways to differentiate ones show offering and name retention. If they remember all of your "tricks" and not your name, you have likely already failed to achieve what should have been a priority. Handing out a card in hopes that it overcomes this shortcoming is a loosing proposition and missing the point.

Quote:
Do you remember the name of the last plumber or repairman you used? Of course you don’t, just like magicians they all look alike. Smile

Tom

This is a perspective we should all be very aware of. Again, trying to address this concern by handing out business cards is fool hearty.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I’m certainly not saying the business card is the only sign you need. That wasn't my point.
But if you think people will remember your name by the tricks you do, or how great you think
you are, you’re thinking is wrong. You better have a sign of some kind; well no, you better
have several signs.

Not nearly as hard to brand a company name but trying to get people to remember John Doe is a different game.

Tom
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10604 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
if you think people will remember your name by the tricks you do, or how great you think
you are, you’re thinking is wrong.

This is where the elements of branding and positioning come into play.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:

Tom

This is absolutely meaningless. But yes I DO remember. Because he left a satisfied client.

So little of magic and performance branding is about signs of any sort.

It is all about the experience you provide. It is a different perspective from non performance oriented branding.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Investigative Mentalist
View Profile
Special user
Seattle, WA
565 Posts

Profile of Investigative Mentalist
It depends on your target market. My target market is business parties and events so business cards are natural and expected.

For example, I just booked a gig this week for a christmas party in Deceember for T-Mobile.

The woman who booked me got my business card at an event I did for a Hilton Hotel last April, the booker allowed me to pass out my cards at that event because the purpose of the event was to attract event business to their venue.

So I got paid to perform at a "grand opening" party for the hotel to show off their new event venue and because I gave my card to someone at that event who liked my "strolling mentalism" routine she contacted me 6 months later to book me for an office party.

Now if I were a kids party magician or something like that, I can see where business cards would be totally worthless.

Again, it depends on your target market.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » No More Business Cards (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL