The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » No More Business Cards (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2664 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I say,

Talent is worthless when it comes to remembering people’s name.
Talent is cheap, everybody has talent, especially someone that can do magic.

Much like Stephen King once said, ‘Talent is cheaper than table salt.’ You can
find talent everywhere, but to be remembered you must separate yourself from
the talent enough that people will remember YOU.

To think that ‘oh I am so good people will just remember me’ is a bad mistake.
And for the record when I say have plenty of signs; I’m not talking about just
printed paper. (Sorry I wasn't clear on that) There are many ways to tell people
where and how to find you. The card is just one. Truth is, that requires the most talent.

Tom
Do What Others Do And You Will Become Average

The Daycare Magician Book
www.amazekids.com/magic-downloads/childrens-magic-ebooks/the-daycare-magician/

Tom Boleware
www.tomboleware.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19853 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Spoken like a non performer.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2664 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Danny,

I knew you had a big ego, but if you really think people will remember YOU for any length of time on your talent alone,
the ego is even larger than I thought.

All I am saying is they won't.

Tom

Tom Boleware
www.tomboleware.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19853 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Tom you are just clueless as to what I am saying. I have run into people 10 years later who remember the end of my show. Yes that is the norm. It had nothing to do with ego but rather a well constructed show and a REASON they will remember.

Not being a performer, much less a good one you can't imagine it. But it IS possible Tom. Close your mouth and open your mind. Admit you might not know everything and it is possible to learn.

So stop name calling and pay attention when the adults are talking and you might learn something.

You are not a performer and have never been. You have a limited perspective and you should not force that on others. If you can not manage to get people to remember you then it is not shocking that you never performed professionally. I would stop too if I had that issue. But you shouldn't universalize your experience. Not all of us have that problem Tom. I am sorry you do.

Peole book me because they want me. Not just a hypnotiist or a magician bit me specifically. You never had this experience. OK that is fine but many DO have that experience.

You think it is like a plumber. If that is how one sllks themselves them yes that becomes an issue. But that is not how everyone does it. Good sales people know that you are not selling a product but rather you are seeking yourself. If this is not how you sell that is your issue. But the fact is it is the SMART way to sell.

Selling as a commodity as opposed to a specialty item is a BIG mistake.

Again your limited non performing perspective is very limiting.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2664 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Danny, Why do you keep saying I was never a performer?

You really get a kick out of being a jerk huh?

Bye

Tom

Tom Boleware
www.tomboleware.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19853 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
YOU are the one calling names and saying I have a big ego just because you can't comprehend what I am saying and I am the one being a jerk? Try to keep up. If you have any questions just ask.

Sorry the truth hurts you so much. But if you just pay attention and listen you can learn something here. I know you don't think you have anything to learn but you do.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
cafecheckers
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of cafecheckers
Quote:
On Oct 9, 2016, TomBoleware wrote:
Do you remember the name of the last plumber or repairman you used? Of course you don’t, just like magicians they all look alike. Smile
Tom

There is a lot to consider when internalizing the above statement. While plumbers and repair individuals may approach how they separate and brand themselves differently than entertainers, a critical decision remains the same. That is - "How will I separate from my competition". If one chooses to do this via signs, business cards, Google search, etc, they better be the best (or very near he best) at it in their area and be prepared to entertain many calls from tire kickers and uninformed buyers. They better be prepared to have clients treat them as a commodity and very replaceable. It sounds like this is the way Tom chooses to buy and regard such services. There is nothing necessarily wrong with that, but I would not choose to operate my business in ways that attract and invite such buyers.

The point about "Talent" is only true if you are defining it very narrowly. One should consider all aspects of their performance and business they preside over to access their level of "talent". Those who do not view it that way, get frustrated because what they believe to be important does not translate to financial success. If you believe your performance and customer interaction is not memorable, do something about it. I know I have a great deal to improve with regard to this, but my focus on this vs believing "we all look the same" will take me a lot further.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9674 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Oct 10, 2016, Cafécheckers wrote:
It sounds like this is the way Tom chooses to buy and regard such services. There is nothing necessarily wrong with that, but I would not choose to operate my business in ways that attract and invite such buyers.

I think young Mr. Checkers just hit upon something here that is responsible for many posts on many topics here by Tom. It explains a lot.

Again, as said, there is nothing wrong with this but it is often much different than the way many people today approach business (especially entertainment and entertainers). This of course then further affects how they approach operations, marking, branding, positioning and sales.

(Spoken as Confucius) "Ah, young Joey speaks wisely beyond his years!"
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
Im going to sprinkle some oil on this flame by saying- 10 years ago I wasnt even half the performer I am today & to this day I get calls from people who saw me back then
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19853 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am surprised Tom doesn't want to channel a dead Houdini to see his thoughts on being memorable.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9674 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Oct 10, 2016, ibm_usa wrote:
Im going to sprinkle some oil on this flame by saying- 10 years ago I wasnt even half the performer I am today & to this day I get calls from people who saw me back then

I agree. If you do it right this will occur. I still get people that come up to me or now email me and refer to something from decades ago. If you impact them, take them to a certain level in your performance they WILL remember you. Not only that, you become the bar from which all others are measured to them. No signs needed.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2664 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
The problem with you people is you don’t listen.Smile
I have no idea what you talking about.

But let us just say you are the greatest magician in the world. You are ten times better than you know who.
BUT What has that got to do with them remembering your NAME?

HOW DO THEY GET IN TOUCH WITH THIS GREAT MAGICIAN?
Oh yea he made that girl fly around the room six times and he changed a blue rag to yellow, he was great.
So yes that right there tells me exactly how to get in touch with him.

ALL THAT GREAT TALENT IN THE WORLD IS USELESS IF THEY DON”T KNOW YOUR $#$%^^ NAME AND CONTACT INFORMATION.
And please don’t tell me you mentioned it twice during the show.

What I am saying is wouldn’t it be nice if they didn’ty have to depend on their memory to find you and your number?
I say yes and that is all I have been saying. Why is that so hard to understand?

Tom

Tom Boleware
www.tomboleware.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19853 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Oct 10, 2016, ibm_usa wrote:

Tom read this post.

Peoplesaw him and contacted him. They REMEMBER HIS NAME. That is how they contact him 10 years later.

Maybe YOU HAVE the problem. That is not everyone.

Nobody said not to give contact information. You made that up.

IF YOU WERE A GOOD PERFORMER you might get what we are saying.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9674 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Oct 10, 2016, TomBoleware wrote:

I think every gets exactly what you're saying they just prefer differently or disagree. Not hard to understand at all.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19853 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Oct 10, 2016, TomBoleware wrote:

Tom

I think we have hit the root of the problem.

What is it that confuses you so?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2664 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Danny, you have said over and over on here that all one needs is to do a good show.
Where exactly did you say anything about giving them your name? You didn't.

Danny I probably make more money in one week in sales/marketing than you make in six months
It’s a fact I do, so please don’t even hint that you know more than I do about marketing.

But anyway, that’s it for me. I won’t post again here. Like so many here I have had enough of
you always twisting words into a bunch of crap. Take care.

Tom

Tom Boleware
www.tomboleware.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19853 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You mean in your bs mlm scams?

I would love to know what you make selling bs products to unsuspecting people. You have PROVEN you know zero about marketing and performing.

Since comprehension is so tough for you let me help. I have never said ALL you need is a good show. I Jane said that even with all the marketing in the world if you have bad one it won't help.

But you have NO SHOW so what does it matter?

I have also said the BEST marketing is a good show. I am sorry you get so confused.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19853 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I just wish he would stop making pointless posts about plumbers and his mlm scams and how much money he cons people out of.

The FACT is you can do very well by making people remember you. The thing Tom doesn't seem to comprehend is that if they don't remember you in the first place nobody will even bother to look for your contact information. This is not disputed by anyone but Tom.

Now today it is even easier to contact people.

I have NEVER said ALL you need is a good show. If he can find that it would be interesting. I am sure one of the usual trolls who like to quote things out of context will be along to do so any time now.

But I went through an entire diatribe talking about marketing to sell tickets in Branson or Las Vegas and how much work it really is. Certainly if I thought all you needed was a good show I would not have written that would I?

But again not actually performing he has no perspective other than opinion. That is fine but not helpful.

Business cards today are not quite what they once were. The rolodex has vanished from most desk tops and been replaced by a data base. Phones and computers have replaced it. Bookmarking on web browsers is how much of that is done.

This is not to say that they serve no function, only to mention tech is moving forward is all. If you want to be the performer who is just called like a plumber then go for it. I aim a bit higher. People hire me because of me. I don't care if I show up high on search engines for "magician". I don't want that job.

There is nothing wrong with those jobs or the guys who go for them. I just prefer people hire me, not a magician.

I have always thought you can charge more that way. If you are one of many things each individual thing is less valuable. If you are the only one of those things it is more valuable. I am surprised the self professed marketing genius doesn't seem to understand this very basic concept.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9674 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I am always amazed at how some people have such an alternative opinion and perspective. It makes you wonder how they can truly serve their customers and industry or experience any real level of success. What also amazes me is why they tend to be so vocal. It's as if they have spent their entire life being on a hamster wheel of trying to convince others of their opinion and beliefs.

I guess this is why I always prefer to learn an industry from the inside out and work from within the industry's perspective. As long as the industry thrives, you stand an opportunity to as well.

The bottom line is the best business approach for most business models is relationship-based business. It IS their memory of you, their relationship with you and their satisfaction with you that creates the long-term, long-lasting success. Unless your business model is the "one-and-done" type of approach where you go out of you of your way with huge hot air balloons, human directional advertising (sign holders), wind-socks and inflatable gorillas, and robotic anorexic girls holding a sign, trying to get their attention (where they find you based on this noise rather than your service, product, reputation or credibility) just to get their one-shot business or booking, usually based on low pricing, you should want just the opposite - to be remembered and be the one that sets the bar.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2664 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Danny I do want to clear up one thing that you keep bringing up about my business and calling it a scam.
It is not a scam, so please don’t say that. As usually you just make stuff up without any knowledge of
what you are saying. The network marketing direct selling business is a bigger market than magic,
the NFL, the Movie Business, and the Music business all COMBINED. That is a fact. The Network Marketing
and Direct Sales profession hit a new record in 2013 with $178 BILLION in global sales. You can check the fact.

But yes there are some dishonest folks in All Markets including magic. I am not one of them. So please, check
your facts before you run your mouth about me anymore.

With that said, I do apologize to ibm_usa for disturbing his topic. Sorry to everyone I allowed Danny to
drag me in the gutter again with him. It won’t happen again.

Tom

Tom Boleware
www.tomboleware.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » No More Business Cards (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL