The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » New to New Orleans (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

maildropusa
View Profile

0 Posts

Profile of maildropusa
Hello everyone,
I have been a member since 2015 and this is my first post. I am new to New Orleans, would like to get back into performing magic, and would like some advice from the professionals. I have a full time position and simply would like to see smiles and people enjoy them selves maybe once to twice a month. Does anyone have some advice they would like to share any advice or help would be appreciated.

Thank you
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Contact Jon Racherbaumer. His informal group meets every week in a restaurant in Gretna.

Relaxed, friendly group. (Hier ist gemuetlichkeit!)

I'll look up his email, and come back tomorrow.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome maildropusa,

Focus on one or two tricks at a time because focus is needed to make a coherent performance. You owe it to your first (and all) audiences to be prepared as well as you can.

Try a local senior center. Many of the people going to these places are easy going and attentive audiences looking for social interaction. A great first audience for a try out.
Just remember that being older and polite shouldn't make you a chump, be aware of social signals that they have had enough LOL. AND SPEAK UP, hearing can be an issue.

Good luck.

-Mary Mowder
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3724 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Joe Strauch is another good NOLA guy to know. He certainly gets around down there. He's a member here and he's on FB as well. Jojo The Clown. Fantastic magician and a good friend of mine.

Steve
maildropusa
View Profile

0 Posts

Profile of maildropusa
Quote:
On Oct 7, 2016, Dick Oslund wrote:
Contact Jon Racherbaumer. His informal group meets every week in a restaurant in Gretna.

Relaxed, friendly group. (Hier ist gemuetlichkeit!)

I'll look up his email, and come back tomorrow.
maildropusa
View Profile

0 Posts

Profile of maildropusa
Thank you for the information I will certainly do that. I have been blowing the dust off some of my old equipment and buying some up to date illusions to go with them.
maildropusa
View Profile

0 Posts

Profile of maildropusa
I would like to thank everyone for the fantastic advice and contacts. It is good to know how friendly this site is and the willingness to help. I have performed for the Shriners Burn Hospitals, MDA, and multiple Military Bases back in the day. I love magic and look forward to seeing smiles, laughter, and surprised looks again.

Thank You
Gary
JasperLee
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of JasperLee
Welcome to the Café! Peharps one can consider approaching family restaurants for a roving engagement!
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2156 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
My family and I lived in New Orleans for 8 years before moving to VA. They have a section in the French Quarter just for street peormers. You should spend a Saturday with the other performers. You can make good money no matter what type of street performer you are. One restaurant in the French Quarter called 2 Sisters. Try them if you're looking walk around gigs. The people ere very friendly in New Orleans. Avoid the south end Bourbon street, trust me on this one. At least until you establish in the French Quarter. Gigs are for the taking. LA has so many festivals and parties, i.e. Mardi Gras .Jaz and blues fest etc. Make sure to have all your permits on you. They are very strict.

Best of luck,
Mad Jake Jr.
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » New to New Orleans (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL