The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Ryan Matney - Bada-Bing! Card Book (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
827 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
I'm excited for another Matney release. Ryan always has really fun compilations for card workers. This latest, called Bada-Bing, is a bit different as it's an e-book instead of paperback like his others. I got a copy and plan to review it more formally when I finish reading it. Fifteen bucks for 10 tricks? Yeah...sort of a no-brainer! Here's a description from the website:

Bada-Bing! is a 50+ page PDF containing TEN brand new effect with cards, illustrated with 98 crystal clear photos.

There is a little something for everyone is this collection, from self-working to tricks using basic sleight of hand. From novel and unusual plots with weird cards, to tricks that are totally impromptu using a regular deck.

Your E-Book will be emailed to you within 24 hours of purchase.

Contents:

Plan B Aces – When the plan to locate all four Aces fails, the magician resorts to Plan B with surprising results.

Is it Close? – Trick and script come together in this simple effect that audiences will remember long after more complicated pieces.

Closer Still – The preceding trick is elaborated on to produce an easy Triumph effect.

Metro Ltd. – A version of Aldo Colombini’s “Paramount” in which a blank card magically prints itself into the spectator’s selected card, using no gaffs and only basic sleight of hand.

Jokus Locus – A fantastic opener to a card routine. The Joker Locator never fails to find the jokers in a shuffled deck.

Flush Exchange – A curious combination of gambling lore, coincidence, and transposition.

Homer’s Odd, You See – The most practical, audience pleasing, version of the “Oscar” effect you can find.

Count Elmsley’s Treasure – A fun version of Alex Elmsley’s “Diamond Cut Diamond” with a full routine.

A View to an Overkill – A self-working expansion of Al Leech’s “Spectator Does a Trick” that elevates the routine to a new level.

Counted on it – My take on Paul Cummins’s classic “Counting on it.” This time, there is no adjustment, no spreading the deck, no problem getting the correct number of cards under control.

Instagram: @mattadamsministries

Facebook: www.facebook.com/mattadamsministries
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
827 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
Here's my review! Took a little longer to post than expected. I've been slammed. But I loved this latest book. I'm happy to see he was able to go exclusive with Vanishing Inc.

Plan B Aces -

On this effect, I'm slightly concerned he copied it verbatim from Bannon's work since it miscalls the card we are working with (Whatever card you have stopped on, that’s the amount of time, in seconds, I will have to locate all four Queens.) - we were actually dealing with aces...but the effect is easy enough to follow.

I always love reading Ryan's work because he explains things pretty well but the pictures are really great. I feel I can follow along almost entirely with pictures. That's such a great thing to have when trying new card moves and Ryan provides excellent photos in his books.

Is It Close? -

A neat idea and good for an impromptu trick with a borrowed deck.

Closer Still -

I love this addition to Is It Close? It's a Triumph version and uses some really great sleights to make it convincing.

Metro Ltd. -

Neat paintbrush-sleight printing of a selected card

Jokus Locus -

A cute idea to find the two jokers - I like it.

Flush Exchange -

Clever and clean - just like Ryan said it would be

Homer's Odds you see -

Love it. So cute and certainly a trick that has staying power with lay audiences

Count Elmsley's Treasure -

I loved this one. It involves second deals, however, so won't be for everyone. But I'm always up for tricks that make me work a little extra. This is a fun way to practice second deals while still getting a good effect in.

Avengers Assemble -

This isn't listed in his table of contents - it's a bonus trick!

A lot happens in this trick. It was a bit confusing to read through and probably could have used a bit more "checks" along the way. However, I did get it right
my first time through but can see how it would be easy to get confused. I wasn't actually sure I did it right until the very end.

The trick itself wasn't my favorite. I loved the Marvel theme, however. But as a bonus, I can't complain!

A View to an Overkill -

I like the idea behind this trick a lot. I think it could be done a few different ways that might actually make the trick a bit more consistent. For instance,
the 10 of Spades and the Q of Diamonds are used as sort of "marker" cards and are turned over after being on top of their respective stacks of cards.
However, the card they are pointing to is on the BOTTOM of its stack instead of the top (Q of Spades). It's a small thing - but I prefer consistency in effects and
this stood out as a bit discrepant to me. But the idea holds just fine and the trick is neat. I'd also do a different handling when counting the marker cards into two piles.
A handling from "The Hidden" comes to mind as being a very good solution to this trick.

Counted On It -

Excellent. Clear goal and easy to execute. Love it.

All in all, I loved this book. It's WELL worth the $15 price point. I'd recommend it.

Instagram: @mattadamsministries

Facebook: www.facebook.com/mattadamsministries
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Ryan Matney - Bada-Bing! Card Book (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL