The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » What have you bought over a year ago that you still use now ? (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3170 Posts

Profile of warren
Everyone is always interested in purchasing the next miracle but what trick/effect have you purchased over 12 months ago and still use regularly now and if you could add your reasons or provide a little review that would be even better ?

To get the ball rolling I use a JOL hip wallet as my everyday wallet and have done so for many years its quick to load, ready instantly with no get ready required and I have the benefit of being able to load cards, coins and rings to name but a few items at a moments notice.

Bill switch in various forms has been excellent value and time well spent ie lottery ticket to cash, change the value of the bill etc very commercial

3Fly 111 by Daryl whilst I have altered the handling a little over the years it's still basically Daryl's routine, my reasons it packs small plays big ie great for large tables instant reset, no special coins requires other than large coins.

Just to throw a card trick in the mix I have performed Paul Gordon's Diminishing Not Likely for many years and still do to this day which I learned off his Card Startlers dvd which was great value for money for me as its got many practical card routines on there that I still use to this day.
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3019 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Extreme Burn
Super Triple Coin
3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead
Charles Gaff
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of Charles Gaff
Extreme burn 2.0,anniversary waltz, fiber optics
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
4642 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Many of my Johnson "Silver line" (walking liberty) coin gaff sets I bought over 20 years ago. I also still do many of the first card effects and rubber band effects I ever learned.

I would propose in addition to the OP's question. What do you own that you are surprised that you are still using after a year or more? For example, when I first bought "Color Monte" all those years ago, I thought it was a "cute, one off effect" that I "may" toss in from time to time but I also thought it was too "proplike" to be taken seriously. (After all I was pretty good with a real 3 card monte that was much more powerful - in my opinion) to this day, I have probably wore out at least 4 or 5 sets and still use it in almost every gig at one time or another.

Books and Dvd's are another thing that could be addressed to both questions. I have books I go back to all the time. Some are no brained like Modern Coin Magic and Royal Road and I have some old pamphlet type books that only cost a dollar or so back then that I still pop open occasionally. And some of my old VHS tapes were so good I wore them out and rebought them in DVD form later. Then others, I regret buying after one watch/read (if even a whole watch/read)

Good question, now you got me thinking about a lot of items that were "latest and greatest" only to end up in the junk drawer... suddenly, years later, I pull it out and use it often. Smile go figure.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8340 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Well! The first PROP that I bought (#1.75) from a magic shop in 1945 (Percy Abbott) was a BRAKAWA FAN, I used it for years, and finally replaced it, about 1970 with one made by Ed Miller. (Actually, I bought all that Frances Marshall had in stock, as Miller had died, and I used the fan in every show.

The fan and wands routine STOPS THE SHOW with laughs. Over the years, on two occasions in high schools, I got a STANDING OVATION with the BRAKAWA FAN!

I wrote up the routine in my book, It uses an "ordinary" wand, a brakawa wand, a shooting wand, and, a brakawa fan. It runs about five minutes. The only set up, is reloading the shooting wand.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3170 Posts

Profile of warren
This is exactly the sort of responses I was looking for thanks for the input, I almost included extreme Burn myself but as we're starting to move over to the polymer notes here in the UK left it off my list as I have a feeling I won't use it as much as I did back in the day :-(

Poof-Daddy excellent idea to include books and videos/dvd in to the mix, my first magic book was The Complete Course In Magic by Mark Wilson and I still use that book today.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3591 Posts

Profile of emyers99
SvenPads for sure combined with Rainbow by SEO Magic. My favorite two purchases in years.
mistervader
View Profile
New user
Manila
19 Posts

Profile of mistervader
I've been using the Wizard's Manual for years as a great way to end my parlor/stage shows, provided I'm sure that I don't have repeat audiences.

Given what you can do with the Wizard's Manual, the storytelling possibilities for the effect are virtually endless. You can call it hypnosis, time travel, paranormal activity, or whatever else your imagination can provide you with, and it never fails to be a show stopper.

I'm a huge sucker for effects that you can call attention to at the start of your show, then get back to at the very end. The Wizard's Manual is the easiest one of the lot, because it relies on showmanship far more than anything else.
- Kel Fabie
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Sponge Balls - they're great Smile

TurboStick - a wonderful paddle effect/routine, and a very 'user-friendly' handle for 'doing the move', though I wish the actual paddle was more elegant looking.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11558 Posts

Profile of John C
Pom pom stick, vanishing bandana...
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Haunted doll - seems great quality as a replacement for my previous voodoo doll. Lovely little spooky trick Smile
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3602 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Still using my Walsh appearing cane I bought in 1965. Also have a P&L change bag and an aluminum chick pan I still use, probably bought in early 70's. Jim
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3170 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Oct 11, 2016, Terrible Wizard wrote:
Sponge Balls - they're great Smile

TurboStick - a wonderful paddle effect/routine, and a very 'user-friendly' handle for 'doing the move', though I wish the actual paddle was more elegant looking.

You gotta love sponge balls :-D
SleightlyChris
View Profile
Veteran user
Virginia Beach
368 Posts

Profile of SleightlyChris
My Sponge Balls - I should probably wash these at some point

Omni Deck - crowd killer for 3 years running!

Triad Coins - Josh was right, these are killer for kids.

Rope - Cant beat a rope routine

Mini Chop Cup - Crowd pleaser.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2879 Posts

Profile of fonda57
I bought Lee Asher's Three Stylin and a I use it all the time.
I j
Pizpor
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of Pizpor
Stupid Bean Trick - love it.

Richard Sanders Fiber Optics - an insanely popular effect in my show.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3602 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I have the stupid bean trick too and love it. However, it won't last me another 50 years. I'll be dead in 20! Jim
GalloMagic
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of GalloMagic
The MD Mini by Promystic, all of Pro Mystic's stuff is great; I use my MD mini all the time.
AJ MAJIC
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of AJ MAJIC
Industrial Revelation, The Extractor, Nest of Wallets...
Adeofspades
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Adeofspades
Gimmick: Supersharpie (need to find the correct size refill - Please help!!!),

Packet: Powerball 60, Entourage, Strange Travellers

Wallets: SAW, Aleph Wallet

App: Icube, Ipredict Pro

Impromptu & Propless: Multiplicity (Max Maven), Alain Nu Signagram & Isabella's Star
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » What have you bought over a year ago that you still use now ? (12 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL