The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New Bob Cassidy release, "Close-up killers" (111 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Quote:
On Oct 10, 2016, IAIN wrote:
.the g*mm*ckl*ss dictionary test

You spelled out the word "dictionary"?????

On a PUBLIC FORUM????

For shame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
@Twisted Mentat Maybe it's your lack of experience that you don't understand why more knowledgable people instant-buy this release. I'd buy this if it was performance only, just to see Cassidy in a bar, in his element.
false_awakening
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of false_awakening
Quote:
On Oct 10, 2016, Twisted Mentat wrote:
Each product must have a description. It does not matter who the author of this product.

Quote:
On Oct 10, 2016, Axel wrote:
If I get a chance to see someone of Bob's caliber perform his material I really don't have to think about it.

These opinions as quoted aren't mutually exclusive.
A decent description is eminently preferable to none, but the lack of a description in itself doesn't mean there aren't other good reasons to make a purchase.

It may be suggested that buyers are foolish to require a description in light of a particular authorship.
It may also be suggested that buyers are foolish to rely on positive sentiment derived from their knowledge and past experience, to the neglect of a description.
IMO these suggestions take the matter of opinion too far in one direction or another for what is a personal decision.
Twisted Mentat
View Profile
Regular user
Giedi Prime
147 Posts

Profile of Twisted Mentat
Quote:
On Oct 10, 2016, Sean Giles wrote:
@Twisted Mentat Maybe it's your lack of experience that you don't understand why more knowledgable people instant-buy this release. I'd buy this if it was performance only, just to see Cassidy in a bar, in his element.

You call it lack of experience, I call it logic and rational thinking.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Twisted,
I think you've misunderstood my position. I personally put Cassidy up there with the best. He has earned that for from his work over the years. If I get a chance to see him operating in a close up environment I'm going to take it. I fail to see how that has anything to do with trivialising mentalism.
But I understand that other people will want to know which routines are taught etc. I fully understand that point of view. $20/$40 is still a hefty investment for most people.
Twisted Mentat
View Profile
Regular user
Giedi Prime
147 Posts

Also. I remember that in the theme about Morgan Stebler product , which received mostly negative reviews, were the same comments. No-brainer. I bought as soon as it saw. And so on. What is missing is "just added to my act" or "this video changed my life".
Your point of view is changing because of the authority or the big name on the label.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Even if Cassidy was teaching stuff I already know (which is probably the case) I'd still want to watch him do it. Why is that so difficult to understand? I don't care what he is teaching. I'm interested in watching his vocal cadence; his rhythms, his blocking, his psychically. His total performance.
Twisted Mentat
View Profile
Regular user
Giedi Prime
147 Posts

Quote:
On Oct 11, 2016, Martin Pulman wrote:
Twisted,
I think you've misunderstood my position. I personally put Cassidy up there with the best. He has earned that for from his work over the years. If I get a chance to see him operating in a close up environment I'm going to take it. I fail to see how that has anything to do with trivialising mentalism.
But I understand that other people will want to know which routines are taught etc. I fully understand that point of view. $20/$40 is still a hefty investment for most people.

I have not seen you put Cassidy up there with the best. I saw you put it in one line with hype products. These products really need comments like "No-brainer". Good products do not need them. They need a clear description and detailed reviews so that all understand how good they are.
And your comments I would be regarded as damage to the reputation of the product. At least you dissuaded me from buying this product. And maybe a couple of people who also think and who are tired of such meaningless comments here.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Gooooooood lord....
I've asked to be banned
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On Oct 11, 2016, Twisted Mentat wrote:

I have not seen you put Cassidy up there with the best. I saw you put it in one line with hype products.

Ah, Twisted. you were doing so well. But clearly you are just at it. You didn't see me put Cassidy with the best, eh? My first post-the one you replied to, read:
"for me, certain creators have earned the right to be trusted. Cassidy performing close up in a bar and then teaching me all the subtleties? For $20? It's like seeing footage of Dylan with an acoustic back in the Village and then he gives you a private lesson!
A no-brainer, I believe is the term."
You're serving up such obviously false nonsense here you've clearly missed your calling. You should be a creator of prop less mentalism.
Twisted Mentat
View Profile
Regular user
Giedi Prime
147 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

I have not seen you put Cassidy up there with the best. I saw you put it in one line with hype products.

Ah, Twisted. you were doing so well. But clearly you are just at it. You didn't see me put Cassidy with the best, eh? My first post-the one you replied to, read:
"for me, certain creators have earned the right to be trusted. Cassidy performing close up in a bar and then teaching me all the subtleties? For $20? It's like seeing footage of Dylan with an acoustic back in the Village and then he gives you a private lesson!
You're serving up such obviously false nonsense here you've clearly missed your calling. You should be a creator of prop less mentalism.

This is not a review. This is a common hype comment.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Ok, Twisted. We've taken up enough of this thread now, don't you think. Let's let people review the download.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This is not a review. This is a common hype comment.

i don't see it as hype, its someone's opinion on a performer that they identify with/admire a great deal...

just like I bought every single Riggs book after I read the messiah process...
I've asked to be banned
SvenSigma
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
151 Posts

Profile of SvenSigma
Impromptu Dictionary plus the thoughts on presentation and the discussion of three types of decks from 1:06:00 on are enough value for money for me (at 20$, maybe would not be for 40$).

I'd say this is decent but not outstanding beginner level mentalism. Although I am not a mentalism expert at all, none of the effects or methods surprised me. In a way, Penguin hint at it with the marketing blurb: "This will be a treasure chest for anyone willing to take the time to learn, practice and perform." With 20/20 hindsight, I must confess this sentence would not fit material for experienced (mentalism) amateurs or professionals. They know that they have to learn and practice.

I think the list below might be interesting for some who have not yet made up their minds. Some abbrevations because this is an open forum, and hopefully it is enough to decide whether you want to buy but not enough to spoil anything.

~00:00 White Dwarf: Spectator billet with image/word in double envelope. One spectator or random unknown choice of five or six specs. Good presentation ideas.
~17:00 Impromptu Dictionary: As the name says, an impromptu word test with any dictionary. Simple but fooling, especially with the presentation given.
~23:00 Billet Case: Nice and easy take on an Imp.Dvc.
~30:50 5 Card Miracle (Prediction): Re-do and DIY of a commercial trick from the 50s or 60s (from Tannen's). ESP card prediction. A nice quicky that Bob used as intro piece for years.
~39:30 Find the D. G.: 1 out of 5 (or 6 or 7) closed envelope choice by volunteer. Inspired by HL. Can be made suitable to bizarre or lighter setting.
~56:40 D. N. S.: Name spelling effect with playing cards. Not by Bob Cassidy. Practically self-working (conditions apply Smile).
~1:06:00 P...tic Deck: The effect and method are fairly standard, but very interesting discussion of presentation. DIY.
~1:28:10 P...thic Deck: Including a bold ACAAN for two spectators with handling of cards by spectator. Don't ask me why, but I think ACAAN has not a clean mentalism touch. So this is more mental magic than mentalism in my opinion - for people who care about that distinction.
~1:38:15 BW Deck: Discussion of BW versus Inv. Deck.

If you count the items: this is 9, not 7.

Final thoughts: I think anyone having a Bob Cassidy collection might want it anyhow.
It takes a baby in the belly six months to learn how to put the thumb in the mouth.

The rest of life is essentially the same problem.

Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Bob is in fine form with clear and thorough explanations in this download.

But word of warning: For those who were waxing about seeing him perform in a bar environment (or at all) it just doesn't happen. Performances are "explained" only.

Beginner level Mentalism? I hardly think so. I can't see why any Mentalist or performer couldn't use these quite successfully to great effect in any paid performance with similar conditions. The material presented is neither difficult to perform or complex in method, though it is very smart.

All in all, a great package from Mr. Cassidy. I can't see anybody not finding value in this.
Tony Dixon
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Tony Dixon
Quote:
On Oct 11, 2016, Sudo Nimh wrote:
Bob is in fine form with clear and thorough explanations in this download.

But word of warning: For those who were waxing about seeing him perform in a bar environment (or at all) it just doesn't happen. Performances are "explained" only.

Beginner level Mentalism? I hardly think so. I can't see why any Mentalist or performer couldn't use these quite successfully to great effect in any paid performance with similar conditions. The material presented is neither difficult to perform or complex in method, though it is very smart.

All in all, a great package from Mr. Cassidy. I can't see anybody not finding value in this.

It's a bit of a shame that the performances aren't also included, however it does mean it sticks to the format of the rest of the killers videos (I don't remember performances in slate or billet, but I could be mistaken, more so for those who bought it just for that reason. However it does mean that people need to figure out their own patter and presentation and aren't overly influenced by Bobs.
davidzajac1991
View Profile
New user
sunny south florida
17 Posts

Profile of davidzajac1991
Dear Café,
I love this video product! My favorite technique so far is dead name speller. I'm also working on a trick with a theme of psychic detectives that uses Bobs living and dead test. As I stated in another post, I think that Bob is one of the best performers and I really don't buy a lot of new stuff. Mostly stuff that bob recommends. Watching the DVD I found it fun that he could condense his stage material into his pockets. Very practical and brilliant thinking!
Sincerely,
David
snm
View Profile
Special user
552 Posts

Profile of snm
No live performances?! Looks like I'll pass then. I was hoping to see the legend in action.

PS - Bit of a misleading demo video then isn't it?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
There are performances in a bar...not for all, but some...
I've asked to be banned
davidzajac1991
View Profile
New user
sunny south florida
17 Posts

Profile of davidzajac1991
Quote:
On Oct 11, 2016, snm wrote:
No live performances?! Looks like I'll pass then. I was hoping to see the legend in action.

PS - Bit of a misleading demo video then isn't it?

Yes. But you gain insight into exclusive Bob Cassidy material. If you want to see him perform you can always look him up on YouTube. Also, What more could you really want because all you need to be the best performer you can be is to watch yourself. I personally wouldn't care if this material were released as a book format because all the more power to him he can actually teach you something different with this material made for closeup performance and fun. The
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » New Bob Cassidy release, "Close-up killers" (111 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL