The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Lota in bizarre show (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
topherhester
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of topherhester
Any of you use this in a bizarre context? It's usually done as a running gag but I'm thinking Praters bottle could be played darker. Holy water that keeps regenerating. Or have it pour blood maybe?

Thoughts..
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2457 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Paul Draper has a great presentation about the Temple and the pot refilling with lamp oil so people could keep working.

I have used one but am reluctant to discuss my uses in a public forum.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
Spent all this time on the Cafe' and all I have to show for it is
445 Posts

Profile of friend2cptsolo
Blood would be ghoulish. I have thought of a routine for a homemade version of a Lota in which the bowl looks more like a rice wine vase. A homeless street alcoholic finds the vase which seems to have just one last pour left in it. The drink does little to feed his need for more and he then goes back to the old bottle and finds.....yes another pour..... then another,then another. At first he thinks the gods have blessed him with this gift of an ever pouring bottle but soon comes to realize that it is not a blessing but a curse...... HE cries out back to the sky "PLEASE JUST FINISH ME OR FINISH THE BOTTLE!!!!" his plea is met..... at the cost of his life, and the bottle is left on the street awaiting it's next victim.
Jim Magus
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Jim Magus
"Three Little Piggies," in Midnight in the Dark Museum, uses a lota bowl, some human toes, and a gruesome story.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5109 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I've used it to change water into wine.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5240 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Paul Prater has a nice bottle and routine:
http://www.paulprater.com/thespiritbottle.html
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
2994 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Jeff McBride's water bowl routine doesn't use a lota, but it's an allied idea. And quite lovely.
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), both at Penguin.
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
Spent all this time on the Cafe' and all I have to show for it is
445 Posts

Profile of friend2cptsolo
Harley did you use a store bought version or something homemade to resemble more of a wine flask?
YitzhakNoDice
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
509 Posts

Profile of YitzhakNoDice
I pull out the lota during Hannukah to tell The Story of Hannukah. Not exactly bizarre, but a fun bit of storytelling. I am with Christopher on other uses of these items.
A wise man's question contains half the answer. - Solomon ben Judah, Philosopher
Paul Draper
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, Nevada
238 Posts

Profile of Paul Draper
Chanukah Miracle with story and magic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K43paDrH5dY
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I use an 'ancient pottery jug' 7 times during the opening Magic Square which I relate to the mathematicians of Ancient China...the lota is presented as an aside to the square wordlessly...after the final reveal of the square I just mention "It must have been something in the water."
Very simple and casual use is highly recommended. Not everything requires 'patter' or description.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1933 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Devil of a Bar and Pub has a nice piece in it.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
gothicmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Ubiquitous
1279 Posts

Profile of gothicmagic
I've used one of Mary Tomich's lotas with blood (you have to rise them fairly quickly afterward or else they stain)
Vlad ^0^
One of The Founding Fathers of The East Coast Spirit Sessions
www.Gothicmagic.com
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1520 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
If your looking for a cool aged clay lota that looks like its a century old or older check out a guy named Martin Duffy who made them for Martin Breese. There's a lot of applications where this kind of object can come it to play.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2457 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Quote:
On Oct 19, 2016, Paul Draper wrote:
Chanukah Miracle with story and magic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K43paDrH5dY

One of my favorites, Paul.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1251 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
Tom Crecelius makes some wonderful hand thrown lotas. He had a nice variety for sale at The Gathering this weekend.
Look for him on facebook.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
TEB3
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas
345 Posts

Profile of TEB3
I have the one Martin makes. I have a card I keep inside when it's not in use. It says "This is not a pre-columbian artifact. Do not mix with my real ones."

Yes, they are that good.

Here's the last email address I have for him
martin@martinmagician.com

TEB3
Martin Duffy
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Martin Duffy
Thank you for all the kind comments on my Lota Pots
These come with routines by Mary Tomich, Christian Chelman, Jim Sisti and Paul Alberstat.

In Paul Alberstat's routine the spectator holds the pot and feels it getting heavier as it fills!

Also see Paul Draper here https://youtu.be/K43paDrH5dY

I 3 of the Lota Pots that I supply to Martin Breese International.

They normally sell for £65 plus postage.

I will sell them for £55 (Plus £5 UK Post, £15 Europe and £20 USA) PayPal preferred. So a total of 80 Euros or $97.

I also have 2 of the brand new LOTA JUGS. These sold out in 2 days last time.
They are between 12cm and 14cm tall, glazed brown with a blue accent and have at least 4 pours in them – some have 5. They all have initial pours of 120-160mls and second pours of 90-125mls, third of 50-90mls. In reality it's the second and third pours that get the biggest reaction, after those they get it...! (See Paul Drapers routine above!)
I won't be supplying these to Martin Breese International - they will only be available from me and are £65 plus postage as below.

Each one is different and unique.

Contact me by pm on here or at martin@martinmagician.com

"I just received this item today. I'm amazed at the quality. I would have waited twice as long for it and appreciate your quick responses for my concerns of it being lost. Pleasure doing business with you. I was planning on doing something for a group of Cherokee Indians that I met last year at the carnival. I showed them some tricks before their "storytelling session". They asked me if I could sit down with them in the middle of a circle and perform something for their storytelling. I was embarrassed to meet such high standards with my "tricks" so I reluctantly declined...but I would NOT give up. "Next year," I thought, "I'll be ready so this won't ever happen to me again." The hunt was on. What "trick" was I going to do? Whatever it was it couldn't look like a silly trick. It had to have meaning and convey a message of healing. It would have to meet the highest standards of storytelling of authenticity, sincerity, and morality. Enter "The Lota Bowl" from Martin Breese. Now I can sit down among the tribe and tell them a story with the confidence this high quality product brings for the next year's carnival. I can't wait! Thank you for helping me to be a better magician."
Jeff King, Tennessee

Martin Breese wrote...
"This is an amazing little Ceramic Lota Pot made by hand by a potter. It is a little work of art and once filled it can pour the most amazing amount of water or fluid of your choice. I am constantly knocked back by the number of times that I can seemingly empty the vase by turning it upside down and then pouring out some water and then again and again and again. Martin Duffy has provided the instructions and it comes with two brilliant routines and the first is by the famous bizarre magician, Mary Tomich and the second is by Christian Chelman. They are both fantastic.
When Martin Duffy had the pot ready he wrote to me and he said that he had used a pot like this that he got from Mary Tomich in the USA and he used it in every Environmental Magic show that he has done for the last 4 years. He also used the Lota Pot to open eleven school shows that he did in a week for South Tyneside International Week. I must point out that Martin Duffy obtained permission from Mary Tomich to actually have the pots made by a British potter and he has appointed me as the sole person to offer them for sale.
He uses Mary Tomich's routine which is called the Shaman's Vision and he also uses the Christian Chelman routine which is really a fantastic bit of story telling about a pot and money that was kept in the pot and then suddenly water appears etc etc.
This is really a wonderful prop and half a dozen magic friends who have seen the Lota Pot in action have been incredibly impressed. So there you have it. The pot is quite small as can be seen from the photograph and it will nestle very neatly in your outstretched palm. Best item I have stocked for a while."
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3808 Posts

Profile of The Curator
I play two versions at the Surnateum.
One is the story offered with the bowl, and the other is a voodoo routine. Totally different.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3808 Posts

Profile of The Curator
And because a photo is always better...

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Lota in bizarre show (10 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL