The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Music cues controlled from on stage? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1646 Posts

Profile of The Duster
I wonder if there is a best solution

I want to have some sort of player [MP3?] that will plug into the desk/amp and have a foot switch on stage

So any time I want the next track [cue] to play, I just step on the footswitch [pedal]

If it sounds like an MP3 player won’t do this – I don’t mind buying some other type of player that might

I just don’t quite know what I am looking for [in name]

Ideally it would be set up so on a footswitch it plays the next track, then stops… then another press it plays the next one, etc

Any help or any advice at all – would be most welcome

Thanks
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1310 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Duster

Checkout this http://www.promystic.com/product/mp3-tech/

This may or may not be what you a looking for, however I think it will fill your need.

Best of luck

Mark

P.S.

I have this system and find it to be very easy to use and reliable.
Carl Andrews
View Profile
Special user
Maui, Hawaii
748 Posts

Profile of Carl Andrews
Check out the Show Cues iPhone/iPad App

http://mojosoftwareonline.com/showcues.htm
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1646 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Thanks for the help

I will explore both of these and see which is the best fit, if anyone has any more suggestions let me know

I will come back with my thoughts - do either of you use these [?]
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1310 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Duster

I use the MP3 Tech in all my shows. I have not used the ankle remote in a show, simply because my wife/assistant handles all the music cues. I own the equipment and have tested it so I know it works. I have owned this for about 6 or 7 years and it works flawlessly.

Mark
gothike
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of gothike
Not a fan of Bluetooth.

But OneTrack for the ios works with the Airturn footswitch remote.

http://www.airturn.com/bluetooth-pedals

http://seanbergin.com/OneTrack/OneTrack.html

I have absolutely no experience with that particular footswitch.
Control your Show Music from a PC from 800 ft away with a remote control. Send me a message to find out how......
gothike
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of gothike
Here is a Video of the AirTurn in action:

http://www.airturn.com/apps/item/45-onet......for-pros
Control your Show Music from a PC from 800 ft away with a remote control. Send me a message to find out how......
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1055 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
This is what I use... works great with iOS devices.

http://www.deceptivelysimple.com
PRAISE FOR TIM'S BOOK, PERFORM:

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"My favorite book for performers!" Bill Cook

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan


performbettershows.com
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Reviving a thread that is in serious need of updating. I'm looking to control my ipad mini (currently still using OneTrack with an inav wireless remote) with a footpedal. Some of the links to the above posts are, naturally, broken or deleted. As the OP also indicated, I'm open to other components, as long as they don't break the bank. What are the current options? Thanks in advance.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2386 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
The latest and most reliable technology for many is the Audio Ape remote and the "Go Button" app. VERY robust and modifiable. That system uses a standard remote which I use in my pants pocket to invisibly fire all my cues. There is an AirTurn footswitch which can interface with it wirelessly as well if you prefer that. (https://www.airturn.com/products/categories/bluetooth-pedals)
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Quote:
On Apr 25, 2020, Ray Pierce wrote:
The latest and most reliable technology for many is the Audio Ape remote and the "Go Button" app. VERY robust and modifiable. That system uses a standard remote which I use in my pants pocket to invisibly fire all my cues. There is an AirTurn footswitch which can interface with it wirelessly as well if you prefer that. (https://www.airturn.com/products/categories/bluetooth-pedals)


I've followed your advice before, Ray, and you've never steered me wrong. But I'm trying to keep my hands free. I'm a bit hesitant on Bluetooth. Any other suggestions?
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2386 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
The Audio Ape isn't bluetooth. In fact it is an ultra-reliable long range RF system. The "footswitch" option you requested is bluetooth which I don't have the need for. I will tell you a secret I use. I have a rubber "button" on the remote in my pocket. I can easily feel it through the cloth of my slacks and it rests right where my hand naturally falls at my side. Always covering a smaller motion with a larger one, I just drop my hand to the correct position, then press the button through the fabric as my hand comes back up. It's virtually invisible. I'll even add a lean over something or to one side to take the heat off of it when I'm starting a cue. There are also some times when my hands are both full and I want to cue a bow tag or other piece. I simply back time to a spot when I can discreetly reach the outside of my front pocket, then add that many seconds of a time delayed start in the software. That has even fooled a lot of magicians that saw me work! There are reed switch/magnetic options but they tend to be more noticeable for me as they are typically on the ankles and it restricts my movement options but there are a lit of choices!
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1813 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Audio Ape just announced that they are reducing the price of their remote systems by 50% during the COVID-19 pandemic. That makes the Audio Ape Remote a great deal!

https://www.audioaperemote.com/shop/
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2020, Michael Messing wrote:
Audio Ape just announced that they are reducing the price of their remote systems by 50% during the COVID-19 pandemic. That makes the Audio Ape Remote a great deal!

https://www.audioaperemote.com/shop/

It's mine! Thanks for the heads up, Michael!
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2020, Ray Pierce wrote:
The Audio Ape isn't bluetooth. In fact it is an ultra-reliable long range RF system. The "footswitch" option you requested is bluetooth which I don't have the need for. I will tell you a secret I use. I have a rubber "button" on the remote in my pocket. I can easily feel it through the cloth of my slacks and it rests right where my hand naturally falls at my side. Always covering a smaller motion with a larger one, I just drop my hand to the correct position, then press the button through the fabric as my hand comes back up. It's virtually invisible. I'll even add a lean over something or to one side to take the heat off of it when I'm starting a cue. There are also some times when my hands are both full and I want to cue a bow tag or other piece. I simply back time to a spot when I can discreetly reach the outside of my front pocket, then add that many seconds of a time delayed start in the software. That has even fooled a lot of magicians that saw me work! There are reed switch/magnetic options but they tend to be more noticeable for me as they are typically on the ankles and it restricts my movement options but there are a lit of choices!


Yes, I was referring to the pedal being Bluetooth, not the remote which, based on the combination of your suggestions and Michael's tip, I just ordered. Thank you both.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2386 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
It's a great deal now! Keep in mind they DO have a magnetic reed switch option for the trigger if you like. I just don't find the need for it. Good luck!
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1813 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2020, stempleton wrote:
It's mine! Thanks for the heads up, Michael!


You’re welcome! Enjoy it. I love mine.
aitchy
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of aitchy
My shows are run from Qlab by a tech who I trust and theres nothing better.
However for short sets/ cabaret etc I'm a big fan of using the Elgato Stream deck to q tracks/effects etc - there is also an App version for cheap.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2386 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
If you're on PC instead of MAC, I started out MANY years ago working with SFX (https://www.stageresearch.com/) for all of my audio playback. This was probably 10 years before Q-Lab came out. It is a very robust system but mainly use SCS (https://www.showcuesystems.com/cms/) now due to the ease in programming and cost. It will playback and automate audio and video files. If you really need to switch cameras and a lot of other more advanced things, then Q-Lab is better, just a lot more expensive. If you're just playing back audio and/or Video, this is a great solution. I've used it in recent shows to trigger audio, lighting, show control systems, and many other MIDI and DMX items.
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Music cues controlled from on stage? (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL